Loyd showin' off on ESPN2
by ram (2017-06-29 20:38:36)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

some real nifty moves to get to the rim

For you long-timers, where does she rank as far as ND goat? *
by Jon  (2017-06-30 17:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Muffet said that she was the closest player she ever
by McLean_ND  (2017-07-01 20:22:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had to being someone who could play like a guy. I don't remember her exact words but it seemed like she was saying that just based on pure talent she might have been the best player she ever had.

"someone who could play like a guy" would be a strange
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-01 22:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comment coming from Muffet. Maybe that was when Jewell left to go pro? (Should I risk a wink here or will it be edited out.) While there are many complimentary features in playing like a guy, don't the women, among other things, typically have a better shooting percentage? (I know ND women beat the men last year in that important statistic.) Plus, some guys are horrible basketball players. I guess we would need the context or maybe the exact quote.

Anyway, the G.O.A.T. or the best or the most talented or the "Highest Impact/Achievers, both Individually and for the Team" is great fodder over a few beers or on McGraw's Bench or both. After reading about Anaya Peoples, I may have to go with dillon's top pick.

On Muffet's first radio show, she said about Loyd that
by McLean_ND  (2017-07-02 09:37:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she is "maybe the best player to ever come out of here ... talent wise" and she is "probably the closest to playing like a guy that we've had." Clearly intended as laudatory comments. On youtube at the 28 minute mark.

Your memory is remarkable. It was exactly as you say. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-02 10:18:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no problem with any of that statement.
by Tim Kelley  (2017-07-02 10:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We all know what she meant, albeit spin bait for the PC crowd.

I just kept thinking of when she beat Jerian Grant in horse. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-07-02 10:23:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. That was great. *
by Tim Kelley  (2017-07-02 12:15:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From a sheer talent standpoint, I think she's the best.
by SorinBasement  (2017-07-01 10:29:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From the standpoint of historical significance at ND, I think the posters below have provided good and accurate perspective.

Is there a site that tracks all time stats for college
by drmurray  (2017-06-30 19:47:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players at ND?

I wonder where that site would be?
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-06-30 20:11:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is a short cut to the pdf file of all the records you could possibly want (if you were a normal fan) on the Notre Dame Women's Basketball site.

BTW, it turned out to be not a great game for Jewell down the home stretch, but she did have some great offense during the game.

Behind Ruth, Niele, Skylar, and Beth
by Murcer68  (2017-06-30 18:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The highest I would rank her is fifth. I think that is where the conversation begins with her, as the other four clearly have her beat with what the four have meant to the history of the program.

Also - to me, Goat is bad. I don't see how that word's meaning changed 180 degrees in such a short time. Why people are fascinated with that term is something I don't understand.

Sky, Ruth then Jewel *
by PWK2  (2017-06-30 21:22:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In case you're serious, goat in this case is really G.O.A.T.
by NDBass  (2017-06-30 19:29:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Greatest Of All Time. I'm not a huge fan of that usage, but that's probably because it is used much too often.

Jewell
by westsideirish  (2017-06-30 18:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she would have stayed for her 4th year, I believe she would be the best of all time. She will be the best professional even taking Skylar into account.

Are We Talking About During College? If So, Here's a Team
by dillon77  (2017-07-01 08:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If "during" college, I agree with Westside that not having that 4th year at ND keeps Jewell from being the "top" consideration.

Like many others, I don't think at lot of the G.O.A.T title because there are so many elements to consider, from individual stats and teamwork to individual and/or team accomplishments. Heck, even what that person did for the program both while she was there and after (in terms of raising profile and drawing other good players).

After mulling on this for a bit and a bit of looking at archives to help my memory, I'll offer this roster for "Highest Impact/Achievers, both Individually and for the Team."

- Skylar Diggins
- Ruth Riley
- Jewell Loyd
- Beth Morgan
- Katryna Gaither (She is only one of the three players in school history to have scored over 2,000 points.Hard to separate her from Beth. They were a serious. 1-1a punch.)
- Niele Ivey, who stage directed the National Championship team.
- Kayla McBride. Super solid and got better every year.
- Alicia Ratay (Singularly the best outside shooter who ever played at ND and the missing link to that championship lineup.)
- Megan Duffy (Really gritty, versatile and smart.)
- Natalie Achonwa. (Winner. Great team player and leader.)

Other absolutely top-notchers....
- Jacquline Batteast (drmurray's pick for a Top Ten)
- Natalie Novosel (Just mention her name on The Boneyard still and it throws the earth off its axis)
- Lindsay Allen. (One of those players who will appreciated even more when she's gone.)
- Dev Peters. (Not for her scoring or even rebounding(which was fine), but for her consistent inside presence and knowing how she fit into the scheme.)
- Madison Cable. (An exceptionally fine overall athlete, who could play defense, pass, shoot and rebound well for a guard. And grit?

As for post-ND...

- Jewell should be the best when all is said and done and is off to a great start.
- Ruth had a stellar career (pro, world and Olympic championships)
- Skylar. The injury has hurt but she looks to be back big time.
- Kmac. Won a big title in Turkey and has been an all-star.

Trena Keys and Karen Robinson deserve mention:
by MPG  (2017-07-03 16:43:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trena was the first African-American player to star at ND. She was a tall wing who scored over 1500 points while shooting 49% in the final years before the three point shot arrived. She was a two-time POY in the North Star Conference. She was the best of the pre-Muffet players.

Karen was a flashy point guard from Jersey who was a fan favorite. She scored 30 points in her final game to pass Trena by one point for what was the ND career record at the time and played during the first four years of the three pointer, though she didn't take many of them. She was a two-time POY in the MCC

Megan Duffy over...
by Rally Sons of ND  (2017-07-02 19:05:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lindsay Allen in the top 10? Really? In my best Cris Carter voice, "c'mon, man!" The player who set some records (both ND and ACC) that may never be broken? LA was absolutely underappreciated by the ND fanbase, I guess because she didn't get enough buckets. This team will really miss her.

Great list. I would include Jacquline Batteast in the Top 10 *
by drmurray  (2017-07-01 16:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jackie
by westsideirish  (2017-07-02 05:43:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would put Jackie in the top ten. I loved Megan but Jackie was the star of the team.

No complainst from me....I'll add her..Thx! *
by dillon77  (2017-07-01 19:17:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll stick with my top ten, but add her into the "plus" list, noting your thoughts.....

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.