Near as I can tell, EB is a really great person...
by 2Domer (2017-06-25 14:45:43)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Boley et al article on this gen. Women athletes attitudes  posted by NOBBYDOMER

I think most of us really can't relate to the pressures inherent in being a gifted and highly touted athlete in a big time program. You want so much to excel, to be the player and person your friends, family and fans want and expect you to be, and to not disappoint. I think it can be a situation in which you simply want to escape from it all, and to put yourself in a position in which it is okay not to be perfect. I think you can become a prisoner of your own expectations, even if others aren't intentionally applying that kind of pressure. Personally I am extremely sympathetic to someone who feels like he or she simply wants or needs to make a change, especially if the person appears to be a genuinely good person. It doesn't need to make sense to me according to external measures. How a person feels is kind of important. The best thing that ever happened to me was when I got a "C" in the first semester of my freshman year. It didn't seem like it at the time, but from that moment on it was okay just to be a normal person.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.