Confused about PK80 comment "Oregon to face Michigan State"
by Domerduck (2017-06-21 15:44:26)
Edited on 2017-06-21 15:45:44
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Irish to Visit UConn on Sunday, Dec. 3rd  posted by dillon77

and needed to look this up. I was aware of the Moda Center (Portland Trailblazer home) having a men's tournament over Thanksgiving with 16 teams which included MSU, Oregon,and UConn and 13 other top or local Nike sponsored basketball teams. ACC has Duke & NC, Big 12 has Oklahoma & Texas, Big East has Georgetown & Butler, SEC has Florida & Arkansas, WCC has Gonzaga & UP, Big 10 has OSU as well as MSU, PAC12 has Stanford as well as Oregon (both Phil Knight's alma maters), Portland State, and the one AAC rep-UConn. The tourney has two 8 team brackets with one team from each conference in separate brackets so each team plays 3 games. It's a big deal in Portland and the attached shows the 16 Nike sponsored teams---pretty cool.

Now I find out there is a doubleheader for the women to be held in Eugene-Mathewe Knight Arena to honor Phil with MSU playing UConn and the Ducks playing Oklahoma on Saturday. I discovered the announcement on the left side menu where it notes "women's bracket". Since I live in Corvallis, Oregon I was thinking to go to a few games on the weekend since I wasn't going on Thanksgiving and Friday I would be in Eugene for the Beaver/Duck Civil War on Friday. Now I may go for this doubleheader in Eugene for these four women's teams. I wish they had the Beavers (also sponsored by Nike) playing UConn vs MSU, but my guess OSU is a little sore being the only Oregon University left out of the PK80. Still that woud have been a lot better game or even the Ducks playing UConn.

Thanks for sharing the article and the schedule comments as I'll add htis into my fall planning since I was completely unaware UConn women were coming to Oregon to honor Phil.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.