Geno's thoughts
by Soc (2017-03-20 22:16:58)
Edited on 2017-03-20 22:18:27
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I don't like UConn, but totally respect their program. This is a great interview and explanation of how Geno overcomes the "selfish" attitude that many players have today. I worry about this going forward - we need to hold the line on "team" cohesiveness versus individualism

The guy can coach
by oldbender  (2017-03-21 09:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always thought geno is an excellent coach and a tough coach. His teams always play with an edge. It's not surprising the aau mentality is becoming part of the women's game, it's been a part of the men's game and recruiting for a while now. Attitudes can become a real problem. But only if the coach tolerates it. Even bench behavior can be a factor. Getting more five star recruits doesn't guarantee wins. GA knows this. Attitude and desire is a big part of his program.

attitude, desire, AND selflessness
by MukIrish  (2017-03-21 22:30:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He gets all of his 5 stars to play as a team vs. individuals. I suspect that is the most difficult coaching task possible. Less so with women then men, but still extremely formidable.

Geno often gives good interviews, but I would change
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-21 08:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one word in your characterization of this. I don't believe it's "'team' cohesiveness versus individualism", but "cohesiveness versus selfishness". I know it's just a word and you say and probably mean "selfishness" earlier, so it's not a disagreement. But I think Geno, and certainly Muffet, want the strong individual. They want the person who is confident, does not make excuses, does not depend on constant approval and praise from a parent or teacher, does not follow, but leads. A strong individual, however, can be a strong teammate, even a leader, one who encourages and helps mold the team.

Agree. "I" and "We" Can Coexist....
by dillon77  (2017-03-21 09:24:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..they're both first-person in Latin conjugations. In fact, I am more frequently making arguments about the need to realign the "I"/"We" proportion in overall society.

But let's stick to sports :-)

I think you need both a team member can exhibit strong individualism and team attributes, even in the same action. In the Purdue post-game presser, Marina was asked about her taking shots in the OT and said Coach MM called her number and that she wanted to get a shot off...to help the team.

Also, she was affirmative that she wanted the ball at the end of the game. The question was asked in the context of foul shots, but her answer shows individual confidence in her abilities to help the team. Good combination.

About his bench
by TerryND83  (2017-03-21 00:33:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember a few years ago, one of his bench players got so excited cheering for her teammates on the floor that Associate Coach Chris Daly had to tell her to calm down. She was embarrassing herself on TV.

Geno has a system that works and he finds the players who buy into it. So far his system dominates WBB. It took him decades to build it, but his system proves that women can play BB at a high energy level and to near perfection.

Showing up on HS players twitter feeds
by ucmiami  (2017-03-21 00:19:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is now on at least two of Uconn's incoming recruits twitter feeds so suspect it is going pretty viral. Be nice if it actually made a difference, but I think that is too much to hope for.

Geno is an exceptional coach and leader
by MukIrish  (2017-03-20 22:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the only reason for one not to like him is just plain envy.

I don't like him.

Using Becca to motivate his team was dickish
by chezhdchick  (2017-03-21 10:18:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He lied about one of ND's players to motivate and get a reaction out of his team. And it wasn't a little white lie. He accused her of being a horrible sportsman and it went viral in the national media and embarrassed her. You don't do that to a 21 year old KID. That's a bully.

Agree 100%
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-21 11:12:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve never understood why some people on this board seem to have a man crush on Geno.

I can think of at least 2 reasons not to like him...
by pmoose  (2017-03-21 04:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...apart from envy.

1. He comes off as a smug and cocky person in interviews. It's easy not to like someone who gives you these impressions of himself.

2. He runs up the score on other teams. Just a recent example - his team beat Albany 116-55. They scored 33 in the 4th. It's easy not to like a coach who has already clearly dominated a team that's way overmatched and seems to seek to demoralize them.

Running up the score....
by ewecon  (2017-03-21 13:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's BS. If you knew anything about Geno and UConn you would know that he does NOT like to embarrass teams. He routinely calls off the press and plays zone when they are up big.... when the subs come in, why shouldn't they take shots if they're open? They practice hard everyday, so why can't they shoot? Maybe it would be less embarrassing for UConn to just hand the ball to the other team as soon as they cross center court. Geno doesn't believe in turning the switch on and off. If you're in the game, you play at 100% effort or you don't play. That's how Geno keeps his team focused.... they don't care what the score is. It doesn't dictate how they play. They play against their own standards...which, by the way, are pretty high.

On your first point, I'll agree. He does come off smug and cocky. That's just his Philly personality shining through. It doesn't matter what others think of him. He doesn't care. He cares very deeply for his players, and they love him.I know many find it hard to believe, but he's actually a really good person. But, I also know trying to convince people that don't care for him is like trying to push a 10 foot piece of rope up a steep hill.

Hypothesis - we'd have been a good little team without UCONN
by SixShutouts66  (2017-03-21 15:21:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe the old Big East women's BB league became much stronger having to play Geno and UCONN. His teams would thrash weaker teams by 40 or more points, and the league ended up much stronger as more teams (notably Rutgers and us) competed. Without that experience our BB program would be DePaul or Marquette - no disrepect to them.

“He’s actually a really good person”
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-21 14:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BS. Crawl back under the Boneyard rock that you came from.

Aren't you the pleasant one
by Ewecon  (2017-03-22 01:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that how you welcome friendly foes to your board? Pretty ironic you treat me like that as you accuse Geno of not being nice. "Hello kettle, I'm pot, you're black"

I guess you know Geno really well then? How else can you judge him? You know nothing about all he does for his players, the community and for charities. You obviously don't like Geno, though I'm relatively certain it's for petty reasons.

.....and for the record, I have never posted on the boneyard. I'm surprised a person with your vast knowledge of all things UConn wouldn't know that.

I never said I was a "really good person"
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-22 06:52:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Geno has achieved unprecedented success in terms of wins on the court. No one can dispute that, or that he’s a very good recruiter and coach. He came into a sport where there wasn’t a lot of parity and has built a dynasty.

Let’s not overlook though that he’s also had the best players for the vast majority of the games he’s won – e.g., Rebecca Lobo, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart (who together were on teams that won 10 National Championships).

As mentioned by one of the other posters, if you google Geno you can find plenty of things that question him being a “really good person.” There were some pretty salacious rumors about what he was saying to potential recruits back in the day about the Tennessee program that led Tennessee to stop scheduling UConn? I don’t know if the rumors were correct, and I’m sure the UConn party line is Tenn. stopped scheduling UConn because they started beating them.

I do know, however, that when ND was beating UConn 7out of 8 times, there was the Becca incident mentioned in an earlier post and the drive-by handshakes with Muffet after losses.

I understand you worship the ground Geno walks on because he wins for your team. Why come over here though and post such crap about him being a “really good person”? Are you just stupid or did you come looking for a confrontation?

If I went on the Boneyard site and posted about what a great person Muffet is, I would expect some animated responses disagreeing with me on that. For you to come here, post what you did, and then be surprised by the reaction you got is incredibly naïve. Is your picture next to the word Pollyanna in the dictionary?

When Boneyard posters have trashed Muffet and I have
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2017-03-22 15:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

respectfully defended her on their board, there were plenty of posters that berated me or liked the comments of others who berated me. But there were also LOTS of posters who defended my right to defend my team's coach and supported my posts. In fact, the moderators defended me as well.

I would prefer a civil tone when we discuss things among ourselves AND when we discuss things with fans of visiting teams. Ewecon wasn't trolling. If we're going to make disparaging remarks about other teams' coaches, then we shouldn't shut down reasonable responses from fans of opposing teams when they defend their coach.

Ewecon’s post started with
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-22 16:06:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“That’s BS” (in response to a post criticizing Geno) and then proceeded to lecture us on what a great person Geno is before concluding with the arrogant and patronizing comment that “trying to convince people that don’t care for him is like trying to push a 10 foot piece of rope up a steep hill.” I find that type of post on this board offensive and responded in a way that I think was entirely appropriate. If you disagree, so be it. Feel free to use the ignore poster option to avoid any unpleasantness that might affect your delicate sensitivities.

OK, I think we can answer this.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-21 15:13:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has he ever done jail time?
Does he send a card on Mother's Day?
Does he take out the garbage? (extra points for: without being told and with a smile on his face)
Does he tithe?
Does he "cast the first stone"?

OK, I think that covers it. Send those off and see what the response is. Then we can answer this once and for all.

He has some "accusations" still pending
by thed  (2017-03-21 16:18:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a sexual assault case that a security consultant made and last I heard it's still pending. And there is an accusation about berating a student reporter. Jus search for him and scandal, the internet knows all.

You're right, maybe we can't answer this. However,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-21 17:47:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the "accusations" are pending from 2013. I'm not sure a resolution is forthcoming. About berating a student reporter, without knowing much about Geno, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's probably berated quite a few reporters down through the years.

I shouldn't do this but I'll get somewhat serious now. Berating reporters is not a nice thing to do, but tangential to that is one of the few things I like about Mr. Auriemma. I think reporters are afraid to ask typical fluff questions of him. He will berate them. But if Geno thinks it's a thoughtful question, he will give a thoughtful, often atypical answer. I like that. Is Geno nice? It doesn't appear to me that he is, but I'm way, way on the outside, so don't listen to me. Is he good? That's another question.

I often think of Oskar Schindler from Schindler's List. What was profound about the movie was that Schindler was not a nice man. But he did some extraordinary, good things. Now the profound part of it is this: The very fact that he was not a nice person allowed him to do the extraordinary, good things. A nice person couldn't have done it.

I'm not saying Geno is doing Schindler-type good things, but life is crazy that way, plus I can't judge.

Baba - enjoyed that post
by ucmiami  (2017-03-24 11:25:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On Geno - obviously Uconn fans think he walks on water and TN fans think he is the devil incarnate. Probably neither group is completely correct.

As far as Geno scandals - I think pretty much every coach has been accused by rival fan bases after a recruiting loss of unsubstantiated violations or underhanded recruiting techniques - as far as I know with the exception of Rene Portland none of them have ever been confirmed by recruits. The big SEC complaint about Geno and the Uconn program (TN instigated) was a pile of hogwash including accusations of former players driving Moore to an event on the same day they were playing a game in Russia and pages of Boneyard postings as 'evidence'. I have always felt it was the first manifestation of Pat's illness.
The court case was thrown out by the judge by the way.
On press relations - he is a favorite of reporters because he does not give canned answers, and is often very amusing and quotable. I can only remember that one reporter issue which is not bad for 30+ years in front of the mike - it was a student reporter who asked a poor and un-researched question that annoyed him, and he basically said she should do her homework if she wanted to be a reporter or something like that. The current video is one of the reasons he is such a good interview.
I didn't think he was involved in the Becka issue at all but may miss-remember - that was a lot of unsubstantiated junk that riled both fan bases. And there was that one really weird FF between Geno and McGraw that seems to have dissipated since - both Philly coaches with different personalities and both highly competitive.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.