What are the roster rules?
by Murcer68 (2017-03-20 18:50:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I know this is a ridiculous idea, but IF a coach wanted, could they put someone on their roster now? For instance, if both Turner and Thompson are unable to suit up Friday night, could someone else (with height) join the team? For instance, according to the ND website, Meg Morningstar is on the volleyball team, she is 6'2, lettered three years in basketball in high school, and her father played basketball at the University of Pittsburgh and then in the NBA and Europe. I'm just using her as an example of someone who is currently not on the team who might be able to help, even if its only to be a foul-eater since we may only have three players above six feet who are able to play Friday night. I'm not saying its a great idea, or that it should be done. I'm just asking if anyone knows if there is a rule against adding a player at this late date.

The last time McGraw borrowed a Volleyball player was 1997
by cbiebel  (2017-03-20 23:36:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that player ended up getting injured.

1997 was a really bad year at ND for injuries (luckily not to Morgan, Gaither, or Bohman (who really started to be key in their run in addition to the other two)). The ND roster got down to just 7 players total.

Part of the problem with adding a player now is that she wouldn't be that familiar with the plays or the player tendencies. McGraw doesn't exactly run a "pickup game" type of offense.

Aren't there NCAA rules about scholarship athletes in minor
by SixShutouts66  (2017-03-20 21:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought there use to be rules about using scholarship athletes in "minor" sports in "major" sports like FB or BB. This was to cut down the abuse of giving out track scholarships to guys the FB coach wanted. Would using a VB scholarship player to play BB eat up a BB scholarship for as long as that athlete was at the school?

I don't know the full rules.
by NDBass  (2017-03-20 21:53:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty confident in saying it would use at least one year of a basketball scholarship. If she left the team after the year, I'd think it would stop counting, but it is possible it'd count the rest of her time at ND. Wouldn't make sense to me, but we're talking about the NCAA.

That being said, I don't know how many VB players are on scholarship. If it was a non-scholarship player, I don't think it's use a basketball scholarship. The problem might be that all volleyball players receive a partial scholarship. I think that'd then go in the basketball bucket.

Long story short, I don't expect it to happen for a Sweet Sixteen game.

On scholarship athletes from other sports
by ucmiami  (2017-03-21 13:33:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a hierarchy of NCAA sports which on the women's side is topped with basketball. A basketball team cannot use a player with a different sport scholarship as a 'walk-on' as soon as they start practicing with the team, the scholarship 'assignment' by the NCAA transfers to basketball. Not a problem if the basketball team has an available scholarship, but if they are already using all 15 it would become a NCAA violation.

Scholarships are counted semester by semester so if a player left the team after first semester creating an opening you could replace them with a new player in the second semester, but you couldn't cut a player in the middle of the semester and reuse that scholarship in the same semester.

And the scholarship count for a player would not carry over for the next year if they returned to say playing Volleyball and didn't play basketball.

I think it is all moot - ND has a pretty solid team with good forwards still, and bringing in an outsider would probably create a lot more problems with only five days of practice than it solved. McGraw is a very good coach with five days to prepare the team, and she has smart players - I think they are obviously going to miss BT, but I do not expect them to roll over for any team.

Really tough break for both BT and ND, but I will not be surprised if ND still makes the FF. There is good coaching and really good players still playing.

Women's VB is a headcount sport. *
by Mr Wednesday  (2017-03-20 22:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Headcount" sport? *
by veets  (2017-03-21 06:13:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can only give full scholarships, not partials. *
by rick  (2017-03-21 17:56:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good to know.
by NDBass  (2017-03-20 22:27:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I confused volleyball and lacrosse.

This is just the type of out of the basket (box, whatever)
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-20 19:54:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thinking we need! Who cares if it works or not? Go for it. It's what amateur athletics is all about, plus it would make a good story for years to come. Meg Morningstar may be just the one. She should be able to jump and she's a middle blocker—defense is what we need. It's too bad Freshman Jenna Yeadon never played basketball. She's listed at 5'9" but jumps like Pat Connaughton.

They'd activate a manager
by okerland  (2017-03-20 19:22:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGraw did this many years ago.

McGraw would need the volleyball coach to sign off in a matter of days plus she'd be off the floor in 10 minutes since McGuff would just attack her over and over again.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.