Observations
by Domer65 (2017-03-20 07:00:51)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

We all knew the importance of Turner to this team but this was painfully obvious to the anyone watching the game once Turner left the game with an injury. A couple of our defenders are a step slow in reacting and without Turner as a backstop Purdue was able to make far too many layups and 5 foot shots. The team played their hearts out and accomplished a well deserved win but I fear that without Turner our tournament run will be short lived. Hopefully the MRI today will show nothing but it looked bad to me last night. With South Carolina having one of their stars out for the rest of the tournament and another player also injured last night, our side of the brackets looked like we would have a very reasonable chance to meet UCONN or Baylor in the Finals. This, however, assumes a healthy Turner and Allen.

This point is more of a question: In watching the men's games, most of the coaches have a few words of congratulations to say to each other after the games. Not so much with the women. Muffet and the Purdue coach barely tapped hands and I noted this in many of the women's games, although I mostly watch ND women's games. Geno and Dawn Staley seem to congratulate many of the other coaches but there is a distinct difference in the way the coaches interact in the men's games vs. the women's. Am I imaging this or do many of the women's coaches dislike each other?

Don't read too much into postgame handshakes.
by SorinBasement  (2017-03-20 09:10:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches are competitive as hell, and that moment immediately after a tough game is often not the time a coach feels like being warm and fuzzy. Some coaches have a personality that can quickly shift into being friendly and gracious (Brey and Izzo come to mind), but many don't, and that generally includes Muffet.

Agree - no one knows
by ucmiami  (2017-03-20 14:58:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the drive by hand shakes it could just as easily be - see you in an hour for dinner, as being 'cold'.
We have threads on the BY about hand shakes and reading meaning into them and it always strikes me as a lot of noise about nothing. Only very occasionally do you get some sort of confrontation or obviously angry moment, or alternatively a drawn out very friendly exchange - everything else is just idle speculation by fans with too much time on our hands! :-)

As for last night, I suspect McGraw had a lot on her mind re her player's health and anything read into a handshake is particularly meaningless.

I agree with that
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-20 09:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What I disagree with is when anyone holds Geno out as an example of good sportsmanship in the post-game handshakes. He did some drive-by handshakes with Muffet after losses just like the Purdue coach did last night.

Analyzing post game hand shakes
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-20 10:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seems to be symptomatic of our short attention spans, like getting news by tweets or sound bytes—very little information without much serious context. It's interesting, however, that Muffet has repeatedly said the women should establish an "old boys network" like men, helping each other out.

There was an "old girls network"...
by cbiebel  (2017-03-20 12:54:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just didn't include the "Philly coaches" like McGraw, Auriemma, Foster, etc.

It was kind of built out of the Summitt tree.

What will be the interaction between McGraw and McGuff?
by Cavanaugh82  (2017-03-20 08:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since coach McGuff was an assistant under coach McGraw I think they will have more to say to each other.

It would be interesting to look at whether or not there is more movement between schools within the assistant coaching ranks of the men's teams vs. the women's teams. When you work with a lot of different head coaches and assistant coaches you are more likely to develop personal relationships with them and the coaching fraternity becomes more of a bond between them.

From outward appearances it seems like this is less developed in the women's game. A lot of former players seem to come back to their alma mater and work for the mentor and then take over the reins when they retire. I don't have any numbers to support this so it is just speculation.

Some coaching trees
by cbiebel  (2017-03-20 12:49:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGraw:
McGuff (former assistant), tOSU
Washington (player, former assistant), PSU
Tsipis (former assistant), Wisconsin
Fennelly (former assistant), ISU

Auriemma:
Cardoza (former assistant), Temple
Elliot (player, former assistant), Cincinnati
Rizzotti (player), Hartford

Vanderveer:
Turner-Thorne (player), ASU
Daugherty (former assistant), WSU
Goodenbour (player), U. San Francisco
Steding (player), Boston U.

Foster:
McGraw (former assistant), ND
Auriemma (former assistant), UConn
Black (player, former assistant), Eastern Illinois (I saw her play in the WNBA, and she was just 5'2")
Griffin (player, former assistant), St. Joe's
Gaitley (former assistant), Fordham

Summitt:
Adams-Birch (player), Wichita St.
Albright (former graduate assistant), Nevada (just retired)
Elderkin (former graduate assistant), App. St.
Fargas (player, former assistant), LSU
Harper (player), Missouri St.
Hatchell (former Graduate assistant), UNC
Mitchell (former graduate assistant), Kentucky
Heidi VanDerveer (former graduate assistant), UC San Diego
Warlick (former assistant), Tennessee

Possibly McGruff. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2017-03-20 12:31:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Geno
by McLean_ND  (2017-03-20 08:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Geno is gracious with the post-game handshake when he wins, which, of course, is almost all of the time. I seem to remember some drive-by handshakes however with Muffet when we were beating them.

exactly
by ram  (2017-03-20 11:40:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gracious & sympathetic winner but poor loser

excellent observation *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2017-03-20 08:31:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.