Great job by the coaching staff
by Traditionnevergraduates (2017-03-20 01:24:53)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

You all American center doesn't play the second half and you make the right adjustments to win.

Disagree
by IrishHugo  (2017-03-20 10:55:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with Dbcsmith below

at the end of regulation, they played not to lose and to eat
by dbcsmith  (2017-03-20 09:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

up the clock, resulting in starting to move for the shot with too little time left on the shot clock to make a single mistake. Had they started to set up the shot at the 15 sec mark we would have fared much better. In overtime we resumed our normal play and scored normally again. If we had just kept playing we would have won by at least 6 in regulation in my opinion. Hope Muffet adjusts going forward.

Better than I could have said it *
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-03-20 11:03:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not so sure of that - not necessarily being critical
by chicos bail bonds  (2017-03-20 08:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but what were the adjustments. I thought the end of regulation strategy wasn't anything fantastic. Sometimes the players don't execute what is drawn up but it seemed as though there were better options.

The center is lost
by traditionnevergraduates  (2017-03-20 08:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and you are asking what adjustments? Hello?

Subbed the backup center when the starter was injured.
by Kayo  (2017-03-20 13:25:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brilliant!

Yeah, I'm asking what adjustments were made. You
by chicos bail bonds  (2017-03-20 10:00:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mentioned great job by the coaching staff in making adjustments to enable us to win. So what were the adjustments? That's all I'm asking.

this is naive, and ignores the fact that the "center" ...
by MinnesotaFats  (2017-03-20 09:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

left the game with less than a minute remaining in the first half. The 12-point lead at the time was basically maintained until 3:00 remaining in the game, when Muffett inexplicably decided to try to run out the clock. Nobody can credible argue that this strategy was the way to go.

Reminded me of Digger
by ronnie woo  (2017-03-20 10:31:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prematurely going to a four corners offense with a nice lead and the offense clicking. I realize our offense was far from optimum with Bri out but we had been doing a nice job of maintaining about a 10 point lead, plus or minus, up to the point we went into the stall.

Muffet's end-of-regulation strategy was puzzling
by SB Jimbo  (2017-03-20 07:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lindsay winding the clock down then driving on just about every possession in the last few minutes wasn't a "great job." Purdue was ready for it, and imo it was the main reason they had a shot to win it in regulation.

Not one of Muffet's best decisions.

PU's defense had something to do with it
by goirish01  (2017-03-20 09:21:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looked like Lindsay would try to run the "chin" offense, but then Arike didn't feel confident to make the second pass - Purdue's defense was really tight and she was trying to prevent a steal from happening. Then the shot clock would be running down too low and Lindsay or Arike would have to go 1-1 (or 3-1 in Arike's case).

MM Addresses a Lot of This in Post-Game Presser
by dillon77  (2017-03-20 08:58:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..from dissipating the 10-point lead to the one-on-one play to what the loss of Bri means to the offense and defense. And "going back to the drawing board" to find some more options if need be.

Marina addressed how not having Bri on defense changes her defense. And I got a sense of her drive when she explained how she (Marina) just wanted to help the team win by scoring ("Coach was calling my number...").

My one observation is that we were compromised not only by the loss of Bri, but by having Kat on the bench/fouled out in the latter part of the game. While she does not do the same things Bri does, we missed her on the high ball screen quite a bit and her ability to make the "next and right pass in the Princeton offense. Plus she knows how to get open for dish-off passes.

Kat being out was really the tipping point
by btd  (2017-03-20 10:45:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches don't have a plan B ready to roll out for losing your top two forwards and best overall player. They can see someone accumulating fouls and "plan" during a game for that. They don't anticipate another player instantly being gone and then both being gone. That's hard to recover from on the fly - also when your team at that point is one senior and all FR or SO.

We survived. She did regroup for OT. We can win with or without BT until the final 4. I pray she can still play, but If she can't we can plan for how to win without her against s16 and e8 teams for sure imo. Over 50% odds in both rounds. F4 maybe below 50%, maybe a coin flip. UConn? No - but I can live with maximizing our situation and facing UConn without her and be proud they got that far to take a shot at a miracle win.

I have to wonder what impact Diamond could have had
by soc  (2017-03-20 10:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she had even only played a minute or two per quarter over the past two years, who knows what impact she could have had. Her defense looked pretty good when she did get some minutes a few weeks ago (can't recall the specific game). Seems like a missed opportunity....

With all due respect...
by NDBass  (2017-03-20 10:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None. An optimistic answer would be very little. She did look good against Boston College, but BC is absolute garbage.

Interesting you feel that way....
by soc  (2017-03-20 11:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since the whole premise is "what if?" - must be clairvoyant since there's no way to actually know the answer

How about this...
by NDBass  (2017-03-20 11:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She hasn't shown enough development over her career to earn the playing time your what if suggests. What little time she did get against any team with a pulse did not suggest more time would lead to improvement. She was lost and over matched most of the time. It isn't clairvoyance.

I agree that she hasn't shown too much in the limited time
by soc  (2017-03-20 12:03:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she's had, but think that we could have used a few minutes here and there, and that she could have been particularly helpful when Bri was in foul trouble - or if she's out. She was rated 10th at her position coming out of high school, so there had to be something there....unfortunate that she hasn't developed more, but still think she could have.

Diamond is not a bona fide DI player
by ram  (2017-03-20 11:37:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think she has trouble following the action on the court. She's athletic enough but the game is just too fast for her.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.