Andrea Aquino
by MPG (2017-01-11 15:38:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I am now an unpaid lobbyist for 6-8 post player Andrea Aquino (2018) of Paterson, New Jersey. With 18 points, 12 rebounds, and seven blocks last night, she is an intriguing prospect for ND. She is listed as having made four 3 pointers in that game. She had 20 points in her previous game with nine made free throws and one three pointer.

I'll await Dillon 77's scouting report...

Doesn't seem like Muffet's type of player
by Orangutan  (2017-01-11 17:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach McGraw tends to recruit the smaller, more agile posts.

I know there are some here who covet a towering interior presence. I have never seen the need. Look at UConn. Their tallest player is 6'3 Samuelson.

I would rather have the shorter player who is a great athlete. The only 6'8 woman I have seen who is a great athlete is Brittney Griner. It does not appear Ms. Aquino is on that level.

I'd like to see
by MPG  (2017-01-12 10:37:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one tall player on the roster as a complement to the other forwards. Aquino strikes me as someone who already has mobility, exceptional height, and an improving skill set. At worst she would present some challenges in practice. At best she would develop into a good contributor at both ends of the court. There aren't many (any?)6'8 forwards in WBB scoring in the paint and from beyond the arc while being a shot blocker and rebounder at the other end.

Muffet was willing to give Diamond Thompson a chance to develop and Andrea Aquino has more potential... I would recruit her along with an athletic post player to complete the 2018 class.

Will Try To See Her A Bit Later in January...
by dillon77  (2017-01-11 17:09:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..after I bring my youngest daughter back out to Notre Dame.
Andrea plays HS ball for the Paterson Eastside Ghosts in a pretty competitive division. BTW, she emigrated from South America and picked up basketball not all that long again, so she is very much a work in progress.

Both F_A and Dillon have written about her on this board.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-01-11 16:12:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was around April of 2016. Here's a little up close and personal:

Thanks. Who is recruiting her?
by Cavanaugh82  (2017-01-11 17:31:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Miami, UCONN, Michigan, and Florida.

Where has she visited? USC.

She says in the video she is 6'9", maybe still growing.

She might not be in the normal coach McGraw center mold but I wouldn't mind seeing a dunk in Purcell.

Any insight on academic performance? *
by domer65  (2017-01-11 16:32:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few tidbits…
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-01-11 17:34:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only evidence I can infer about her academic performance is that a) Notre Dame showed interest, b) she seems articulate c) she only has made 143 tweets.

Interesting, she has retweeted Danielle Patterson, although they both play in the New York City area, so that may not be much.

I would tend to agree with Orangutan and take athletes over height every time. I'm not sure how athletic she is, but she can dunk, hit the 3, and has greatly improved, according to her coach.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.