UCONN DEFEATS #20 USF, 102-37.
by Domer65 (2017-01-10 21:00:46)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Prediction: Baring a major injury, UCONN goes undefeated and wins the NC for the 5th time in a row.

Back in 2010-11 there were predictions...
by cbiebel  (2017-01-11 23:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of Baylor winning it all. How did that turn out?

You mention the USF game. Who has USF beaten? UNC? Not exactly the old UNC. A 10-6 UGA team? USF lost to Long Beach State.

What about the UConn-FSU game? 2 point win for UConn with FSU missing their best player? Maryland only lost to UConn by 6.

I wouldn't really use the USF game as a barometer for how UConn is going to do the next two years.

What would you use? *
by CJC  (2017-01-12 10:27:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Games against teams who have beaten ranked teams
by cbiebel  (2017-01-14 12:24:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The road to a NC is not through teams that aren't in the top 10, generally.

I pointed out two games where UConn didn't exactly blow out an opponent: FSU and Maryland (and the Maryland game was fairly recently, so you can't use the "Well, it was early in the season" excuse).

Yes, UConn should be the favorite, but it isn't like there aren't teams capable of beating them.

My point was using a huge win over an overrated team shouldn't trigger an "Oh my God! They're unbeatable!" type of attitude.

How about the ....
by CJC  (2017-01-14 16:46:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Katie Lou Samuelson was puking in a bucket during a timeout" excuse (against Maryland)?

I'll agree that crushing the #20 team doesn't prove much.

But you've been undervaluing UConn and overvaluing the field for a long time now.

While nobody -- including UConn -- is literally unbeatable, you're grasping at straws by pointing to an upset of a Kim Mulkey-coached #1 team in the tournament as a basis for hope that Geno's team will stub its toe in the tournament.

Who knows, one of these years you might be correct.

Who knew they were sandbagging last year,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-01-11 09:29:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not playing their best players? (kidding, but only slightly)

Hard to imagine how they stay focused and pummel
by drmurray  (2017-01-11 08:37:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

people into submission.

Two major factors are mental and physical prep.

As has been mentioned before, hopefully some of that will rub off on us with the recent hire of their S&C coach.

Last year, it seemed they tailed off
by ram  (2017-01-11 08:57:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

toward the end of the regular season and then cranked it back up once the tournament started.

Geno had them geared up for the start of the season knowing he could taper back after the tough OOC schedule was over. Now they will taper back some and he has 6-8 weeks to slowly bring them back to where he wants them for the championship run.

Add in the culture of the program and the recruiting of
by 2ndstreeter  (2017-01-11 08:51:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stars like their current up and coming one Samuelson and the beat goes on and on and on......

Prediction
by tedstheman  (2017-01-10 21:37:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're really going out on a limb with that one.

OK
by Domer65  (2017-01-11 10:53:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll go out a little farther on the limb: Baring a major injury or the decommit by Megan Walker, they will also win the NC next year as well.

Well, Megan...
by wire chief  (2017-01-13 20:42:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is just a frosh; it's likely Azura is the new honcho.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.