Liatu King from Pitt visiting ND starting today *
by IRISHCARBOMB (click here to email the poster) (2024-04-23 16:19:14)
Edited on 2024-04-23 16:23:25

This user did not provide content for this post

I can’t speak to personality or “fit”
by drmurray  (2024-04-23 17:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But based on performance I’d take her quick

From 30 minutes of research
by ram  (2024-04-23 19:41:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve concluded that she is a ND type

I think she has her degree & has an excellent academic record

Raised by 2 deaf parents, she learned to sign at a young age
She Is A Member of the American Sign Language Honor Society

Her father passed recently so prob late to the TP party

Interesting. I had a student who was raised by two deaf
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-23 20:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

parents. Parent/teacher conferences were a bit of a challenge but he was a nice young man.

The stat that jumps out is 10.3 rebs per game
by IRISHFAN2008  (2024-04-23 17:37:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be great to get another rebounder besides Maddy.

I'm assuming Koval will also be a beast on the boards but she's still going to be learning.

Going from starter to backup won't be easy to get her. 🍀 *
by bohratom  (2024-04-23 16:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am sure Niele has discussed this with King and team.
by BTFNDGUY  (2024-04-23 20:36:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Niele is so good at creating and maintaining team "unity". If she thinks that King can blend in with whatever role is offered, then I feel quite sure that she has already discussed that with the current team to get their input.

Great depth with injuries *
by RISteve  (2024-04-23 19:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she comes, it's not certain she won't be a starter
by knutesteen  (2024-04-23 17:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

based on her performance last season. And of course, starting doesn't always translate into the most minutes.

I really don't see a scenario where she starts
by IRISHFAN2008  (2024-04-23 17:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless we move Maddy to the 5 and have Kate come off the bench which doesn't sound realistic.

Niele wants size and I wonder if part of the reason she didn't give Becky more minutes was due to her lack of size.

Not to mention 5 less inches for the center jump *
by ram  (2024-04-23 19:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's all about the wingspan. 🦅 *
by bohratom  (2024-04-23 19:56:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Start small lineup: Citron, Hidalgo, King, Miles & Westbeld
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 16:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All five are excellent rebounders. All five can play defense and all five can score. Press, play man, run and then bring in Koval, Prosper and Risch.

I like this makes a lot of sense to me *
by Irishforever  (2024-04-23 20:51:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hmm. Don't Diminish One of Your Strengths
by dillon77  (2024-04-23 17:59:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maddy Westbeld is, as Deb Antonelli has commented, one of the best all-round forwards in college basketball. While she can spell someone in the post, that's not her position. She'd be undersized, have to use more strength to play up and probably take away from her offense.

Keep her at forward where she's one of the best. And Niele didn't bring Koval into come off the bench as an occasional tone changer. Not happening.

I would see King as the sparkplug off the bench, as opposed to a starter.
Plus, as is often said, the most important thing is who is on the court when it matters.

Switching subjects, if King was in today, who was there yesterday? Or was that a preview "Dome" for today.

And what does that mean in regards to Liza Karlen and/or Caitlin Weimar (if anything)? Weimar allegedly went to NC State, but have not seen anything imminent about other schools.

Geesh, a lot of rumored ingredients but no set menu item yet.

O.K. you win. King, Prosper, Risch & Bransford off the
by MountainMan  (2024-04-24 01:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bench. Wow!

A nice surprise! Source? *
by IrishIowa20  (2024-04-23 16:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was on flight with her/her family from ORD
by IRISHCARBOMB  (2024-04-23 16:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to SB this afternoon. Had a Pitt basketball backpack with her. As I left SB airport, CO was walking in presumably to meet her and usher them to campus.

Great sniper work. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 17:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You mean snooping, not sniping, right? *
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2024-04-23 17:43:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-24 01:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I call it sleuthing *
by RISteve  (2024-04-23 19:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent
by IrishIowa20  (2024-04-23 16:43:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was always going to be tough to get a superstar like Iriafen or Beers to South Bend with the current roster, although King was the star at Pitt (unfortunately not saying much). Players like King, Karlen from Marquette, Weimar, etc. are probably more what we're after.

Disagree
by NPaulTodd  (2024-04-23 19:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have 4 excellent players returning and one true freshman. It should be difficult for us to attract guards like King or small forwards line Karlen because they will be stuck behind all American caliber players.

But Beers or Iriafen would be day 1 starters at the post and would be the final piece to a team that is poised for a title run. We may not land them, but they certainly won't be scared off by our roster. If anything they would be more likely to come here for a legitimate shot at a championship.

Fair point
by IrishIowa20  (2024-04-24 09:22:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a delicate balancing act when bringing in highly rated freshman. Retention is becoming just as important as recruiting.

Completely Agree on Personnel
by dillon77  (2024-04-24 11:57:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goes from searching to recruiting, feedback and retention.

I think ND should take advantage of expanded rules to hire a personnel staffer whose job it is to track ND's recruits, current players and even alums.

Good point. That's what happens at U. Conn. year after year *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-24 01:49:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sell getting a ring *
by Whaler170  (2024-04-24 07:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you say Bye to Mickey and Goofy? 👋 *
by bohratom  (2024-04-23 16:42:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ORD is the O'Hare Airport abbreviation (Chicago).
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2024-04-23 17:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Orlando is MCO. It was a connecting flight, apparently.

My Bad and fly for work so I should know IATA Codes🤦‍♂️ *
by bohratom  (2024-04-23 17:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is the kind of report I love!!! *
by BTFNDGUY  (2024-04-23 16:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoa! Wouldn't that be a catch. Nothing in ink, but at
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 16:22:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

least there is mutual interest. I must say unexpected.