Better to hear Sydney Wiese on the xfrs-best OSU player ever
by Domerduck (2024-04-12 23:28:06)
Edited on 2024-04-12 23:29:17

In reply to: Oregon State players called out by PAC-12 announcer  posted by RISteve

"Let me make one thing clear before I begin- I am saying all of this on my own accord. This is my own perspective and my own words."

“As someone who went to Oregon State for all 4 years and played for Coach Rueck all 4 years, I have taken the time to think to myself- what would I do under the circumstances that these kids are facing? NIL. PAC12 conference is no longer. Transfer portal makes it real easy. It’s a pretty hard trifecta to deny.

“Can I blame these kids for making an incredibly hard decision to leave? No, not given everything (and personal reasons respective to each individual) that they are working through. College is hard enough- adding this into the mix, I can’t imagine trying to navigate it all.

“You know what made college a little easier and a lighter load for me to bear? My team. My staff. My community. My college. A stable and consistent home for four years as I went through growing pains, twists and turns, ups and downs, on and off the court. I had a support system that was unshakeable. I was immersed in relationships that I still count on to this very day. The only way that happened was through my commitment, my teammates commitment, my coaches and staff and fans- all of us, committed.

“When I look at kids “committing”- whether it’s out of high school or from the transfer portal, I don’t put as much weight in that word as I once did. Because, look at what’s happening- not just at OSU, but around the country. This isn’t commitment; this isn’t team first mentality. As someone who has been a pro for 7 years now, this is a culture that should not be infiltrating the protected parts of the college experience. The main part being an unquestionable team-before-self approach; the rest of life, from a professional standpoint, is basically taking care of yourself.

“College is such a unique experience (especially as an athlete) where people are literally hired to TAKE CARE OF YOU- from coaches to support staff to academic advisors and so on. Everyone has their reasons to move forward, and I respect it. But, during a decision-making process like this, there has to be more resources at the players disposal. They make their choice that is best for them at the end of the day, but are they truly understanding what comes with a decision like this?”Again, I’m speaking in total reference about the nature of the NCAA.

“Now for OSU, when it comes to Coach Rueck, I think it goes without saying what he has done CONSISTENTLY for this program. He took a team that wasn’t supposed to do much at all this season (they all said) to the Elite 8. That is quite literally. ELITE. How many times have there been predictions about his team and he has SHATTERED those very expectations? He has nothing to prove to anyone. He earns success, he sets the team up to be successful- every season. When I look back to the teams I was apart of, the reflection of our success points back to Coach Rueck and the way he put us in position to simply make the right play. And how he coached us when the lights were off. It was every single day. That daily grind only we as players know.

“It took me all four years to become pro ready learning from him. He deserves so much more credit than the collective basketball community has been willing to give him- and that nonsense is for the birds. This man doesn’t need to do anything else to prove how dominant he is as a coach. To this day and probably up until I’m done playing, Coach Rueck is the best coach I’ve ever had, at every level.

“The whole staff- I know how hard they work, every single day, and they pour their hearts into the kids, every season, including the off season. It doesn’t just start when the first official practice happens; it begins during the recruiting process. years of building relationships, getting to know families and potential young women who could make OSU a home for four years.

“This is deep work the coaches do, and they are damn good at it. They are COMMITTED. Support staff included. Coach Ely, Olivia, Jason, and Jeff- their hearts, energy, attention, and time are all pouring into the team. I know because I was there. They don’t deserve any of what is happening. It’s not the kids fault; the whole situation is heartbreaking for all involved. But the staff now remains to forge ahead, to rebuild once more.

“I’m here to simply state this team of kids was so special and we will all cherish the run they had. More importantly, because they deserve to be acknowledged and I don’t think anyone really GETS IT- the group of people who work for OSUWBB is full of top-notch individuals. There is not another group like them, from college to the pros to overseas. I promise. I know the kids choosing to stick it out and remain at OSU have an uphill battle, but I find peace knowing they aren’t going at it alone. They have the best support system anyone could ask for.

“I hope for those who have decided to leave that they end up where they want to be. May the rest of their college experience match what their expectations are for starting somewhere new.

“Forever,

Go BEAVS."