Sneak preview of Oregon St.
by irishhawk49 (2024-03-26 12:30:55)
Edited on 2024-03-26 12:56:40

I don’t know how to embed a video (shame on me, I guess), so I’ll post OSU’s first two NCAA games below in separate posts.

Raegan Beers is wide body 6’2 post who is very good. She averages 17 ppg and 10 rpg. She has good hands and is tough to handle in the low post. She will be a tough matchup for the Irish. OSU has another 6’3 starter.

OSU shoots 35.7% from three. They like to play four out around Beers and space the floor with shooters. Beers does a good job kicking the ball out from the low post. These videos are my only exposure to OSU. I’m sure DomerDuck, or others, can add a lot more detail.

I just thought people might want a look at what awaits the Irish on Friday in Albany.

Thanks for the links. To add to your post: They rotate
by MountainMan  (2024-03-26 14:19:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

eight players over 16 minutes per game. Seven of those eight are 6' or taller.

Three player average double figures: Beers 17.5 & 10.7 rebs., Gardner 11.4 & 6.7 rebs. and von Voelhoffen 10.9.

Five player shoot 35% or better from three.

They have no seniors or graduate students.

They took 33 threes vs Nebraska and made 10. In a loss to Stanford in the PAC 12 tournament they took 18 and made 4. (In those two recent games they averaged 11 turnovers.

In terms of the "scout", they are quite opposite from Old Miss. Instead of quick, athletic and aggressive on defense, they are big and not overly quick or athletic. Another major difference is they can really shoot the three and thrive off that. Lastly, as you stated Beers is big and strong around the basket.

Here is where the short bench hurts. This is a team we should run. I predict we will play mostly man x man. The only way we can limit Beers is to front her and not let her catch the ball down low.
Another key is to drive if they play us man.

Five players shooting 35% or better from three is impressive
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 18:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That makes playing zone a completely different proposition than it was vs OleMiss. Niele Will some tough choices to make. Play man - how do you contend with Beers inside? Play Zone - How do you contain all their shooters?
I think we’ll see some of both, which we’ve done with success this season.

Looks like Big 3 vs Big 3
by ram  (2024-03-26 15:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they have several others that can contribute while we have just 3

Nat has to defend without fouling-last 70 minutes with just 6 fouls

Who would you imagine guards Beers? It appears she would
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 15:06:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over power Nat. I guess that leaves Maddy. She could probably do it but I’d worry about foul trouble.
Beers appears taller than 6’2. She is definitely a ‘wide body’ (not meant in a bad way) post. She uses her size to her advantage in h he low post.

Nat couldn't play behind her, but she is quick enough to
by MountainMan  (2024-03-26 15:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

front her. I wouldn't want Maddy there for the same reason you bring up, too
valuable to get into foul trouble.

I agree on Nat full fronting Beers. She is tall and quick
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 15:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

enough to make it work.

They will pound it inside the entire game
by ram  (2024-03-26 14:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they are not quick but big (& can shoot 3s) then you have to stick to the zone or risk ISO postups

Use our quickness to swarm just like the last game
They just have to guard the 3 a little more & they have a much better inside threat than Ole Miss

Let Hannah dribble drive & all will be well

Maybe, or maybe a mix of each? *
by MountainMan  (2024-03-26 15:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IDK. They pass well (19th assists) but is that vs zones *
by ram  (2024-03-26 15:21:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OSU, unlike Ole Miss, has great ball movement. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 15:58:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah. May have to go man b/c of that
by ram  (2024-03-26 16:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

maybe Nat at 6’5” can bother her enough without fouling
Hannah stealing the ball from her once or twice would help

My guess is that we’ll see some combination of man and
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 16:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zone. We’ve done that successfully at times this year. It might help to keep them off balance. I trust Coach Ivey will come up with a good game plan.

If not Coach Ivey & staff then
by ram  (2024-03-26 17:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yumamss1, the HoF coach, will come through

I have faith in him. He’s a hall of famer. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 17:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Might need Becky to help spell Nat and Maddy *
by Anotherjoe  (2024-03-26 14:22:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She can run the floor and rebound. *
by MountainMan  (2024-03-26 15:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oregon State Roster & Stats (Sports Reference) (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 14:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Round 2: Nebraska (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 12:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see HH attacking those bigs w/drives. Attack footspeed *
by Jon  (2024-03-26 14:59:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Round 1: Eastern Washington (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 12:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post