Less is More
by BabaGhanouj (2024-03-26 11:56:23)

Explanations are humans’ ways of coping with the unknown. My partial ‘explanation’ for how well the team is playing stems from the small available roster size, once again. When you practice and play with the same people all the time, you get really good at team gestalt.

This is not meant to be much of an explanation but an observation.

Fouls are the only issue now. Like 2018 the players know
by Btd  (2024-03-26 13:41:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can’t be pulled out of the game anymore, so that changes how they play. Marina and others said that multiple times in 2018. How it freed them up to let it rip knowing MM couldn’t pull them even if she wanted to. For players that aren’t head cases, that can get them to perform at a higher level - no longer worried about doing something wrong.

Great point. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 15:57:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will keep working until it doesn't. Lose 1 player for too
by Domerduck  (2024-03-26 12:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

long the gestalt may falter. This Friday morning game (Corvallis time) will be an interesting test of the math given how Rueck coaches,

How would you describe Rueck’s coaching style? I’m impressed
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 12:54:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by what I saw in the highlights I linked, but they’re highlights. Every shot is make. They appear to space the floor really well around Beers and they shoot the three well (35.7% for the year).

He plays all his players (10 or 11) to assure high energy D
by Domerduck  (2024-03-26 14:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and to see if there are matchups to exploit or who's hot. He pulls players when they do dumb things quietly, never embarassing them, just making sure they stew and think back on the bench. He relies on a few players expecially his point leader. This year its Talia, but from Sydney Wiese to Mikaylah Pivec to Aleah Goodman, he has developed them well to be like a coach on the floor. He'll do the same with Freshman point Donovan Hunter, but when the game is tight Talia has the ball. He also always develops great post players often using his longtime very tall assistant Eric Ely to fine tune those skills as well as Jonas Chatterton, Scott's top assistant for 10 years. Aleah, who Scott has known since she was a kid, has been added to the staff and is doing great with the guards.

His in game coaching is his strength as he has beaten many teams that have more talent. He has great out of bounds plays and end of game strategy. He saves his timeouts. His most recent end of game brilliance was when he and Cori Close were matched up in a big game this year, but Beers was out since KiKi Rice had a flagrant foul and broke her nose so she had to go tom the ER. The highlights for this ending are well worth the watch:

Wow. What an ending to that UCLA game! Talia looks really
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 15:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

good from what I’ve seen. I imagine she and Hunter will share the duty of guarding Hannah. Rueck appears to be an excellent coach. Great ball movement. Make the extra pass to turn a good shot into a great shot. Well schooled, efficient post play. Well spaced shooters who share the ball unselfishly.

Niele has her work cut out for her. But I have confidence she’ll come up with a good plan. It should be a fun game to watch. High stakes game with two excellent, well-coached teams. Can’t ask for much more than that.

He's got lots of guards to throw at Hannah so I can see hiim
by Domerduck  (2024-03-26 16:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doing lots of switching to see what works. If Hannah can draw fouls and get to the line that will help ND.

She will. You can plan for Hannah, but until you play
by MountainMan  (2024-03-27 06:21:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against her, you can't really know.

You are right! *
by Domerduck  (2024-03-27 12:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds good. It will be an interesting chess match between
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 17:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

him and Niele.

Agreed. *
by MountainMan  (2024-03-27 06:21:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post