Portal - Watching and waiting. Anna announcement was
by MountainMan (2024-03-26 05:28:13)
Edited on 2024-03-26 05:35:22

April 17th. Becky wasn't until May.

I expected a considerably smaller list this year, but it's still a significant number.

What will Maddy and Nat do? (I'd love to have both of them back.)

The bottom line I think we need at least two very solid players, with at least one competing for a starting position.

I leave it up to Dillon to clarify all of this in the near future.

I leave it up to Niele and staff to surprise us all with a couple of needed contributors.

This strong run should help us recruit and the chances of going further next year won't hurt either. (At this moment we don't know how far we are going to go this year, but Elite eight would be quite an accomplishment.)

If Maddy and Marshall return, we don’t need a transfer IMO
by Btd  (2024-03-26 09:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The freshman slots in where Watson was this year and we have the same total capability. Then prosper adds another body and 5 fouls to the mix. Plus, miles returning inserts another rebounder we didn’t have this season.

If I had to bet money today, I’d say Maddy will go pro though. I think she is ready and will drafted. Marshall isn’t ready for sure for pros - but it isn’t a given she will stay. I do expect her to stay though. I’ll be in the shocked category if she opts out.

I expect both to stay for different reasons
by mwayne  (2024-03-26 13:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all, I don't pretend to know what either of them are thinking, so it's all baseless speculation.

Put into context, if ND gets beat in the Elite 8 game, that would seem to incentivize Maddy's return. She clearly idolizes her big sister and if I had to guess, I think Kat would tell her to return and finish the job. Obviously, the ultimate decision will be Maddy's but Kat will undoubtedly have some influence. But the possibility of making a deep run next year has to be in her head. A byproduct of staying would allow her another year of development, which will only make her that much more attractive to the WNBA in 2025.

I could see Nat going either way on her decision, but her career path is potentially so diverse that it may not include basketball. I think the pull of returning for one more year will be stronger than starting new somewhere else, especially if she isn't seeking a pro basketball career. But if she is then it makes sense for her to seek options elsewhere.

I disagree that ND doesn't need a transfer, regardless of who's staying or leaving. I think people are making a lot of assumptions that Koval will be ready to play at a high level her first year. I think that's unfair expectations and frankly, unwise to pin a lot of your hopes that she is. Also, what's the contingency plan if she gets hurt?

Next year is a kitchen sink opportunity, where you need to put every effort into winning it all, because it will be the last dance for so many key players. They need to get the best center possible (with size and athleticism) and they have a lot to offer. My guess is that the coaches agree and will address this.

Longer term we do
by NDLAW88  (2024-03-26 12:01:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even if Maddy and Nat come back, we will lose them, Soni and likely Olivia the next year. That leaves a short roster with three players with injury histories - KK, Emma and Cass.

I would love to see us add a freshman or two - even if projects - for depth. Maybe the transfer portal can give us players with more than one year of eligibilty. Really think it's crucial.

We absolutely have a gap after next season
by Btd  (2024-03-26 13:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I’m only taking about for next season. They needed to sign 2 v only 1 this cycle. I fully expect a Watson type transfer after this year to drop in another forward that can stay 2 years to bridge the gap to any freshman we add that next cycle.

I would like them to add a PF/C & PG/SG ...
by gmb66  (2024-03-26 12:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... in addition to Maddie & Nat returning. Need more bodies and more competition!

I see no need for a PG/SG next year.
by SorinBasement  (2024-03-26 12:55:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s already going to be a challenge giving Hannah, Olivia, Sonia, KK and Emma the PT they deserve. Some even view Cass as a guard.

There are only so many hours in a day. When it comes to guards, that time should be spent recruiting the Class of ‘25. Recruiting high school players is very time-intensive, and no matter how involved assistant coaches get, the head coach has to be visible. Niele recently talked about going to Hungary to watch Hannah play. How many big-time players have pointed out over the years how important it was to look up in the stands and see Geno or Tara or Dawn?

Kate Koval is a class of one next year. We can’t afford to have a small class two years in a row. The focus needs to be on the Class of ‘25 and beyond.

It definitely depends on decisions that as far as we know
by Raoul  (2024-03-26 10:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have not yet been made. Before Kylee got hurt, I was thinking Maddy would stay and Nat would do a 5th year somewhere else in order to start all year. Nat would find considerable interest and I assume she is already graduated or on track to graduate. If she wants a shot at WNBA she needs a full year of starting development at a high level. That said, she has a broad career horizon and her earlier injuries have no doubt expanded those horizons further. Maybe she will move on from hoops entirely after college. I could see her staying but not guaranteed.

Main reason for Maddy to stay would be to seek a national title. They should have that talent next year and they will need a mature leader like Maddy to help corral that energy and the competition for playing time could get intense and team leadership will be critical.

In some ways, this will be the easier year for Niele Ivey coaching-wise because she is doing what she must do - not many choices to make line-up wise.

You forget about injuries which plague our Irish every
by bohratom  (2024-03-26 10:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

season so I for one would like as many Bigs as we can get within the Roster Limit size.

Maddy will have a tough decision. I fully agree she is
by MountainMan  (2024-03-26 09:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

capable of going pro. However, she loves N.D. and this team, most of whom will be returning. Also, her sister Kat won a national championship. Next years team (barring injuries) will be capable of doing that.
I think she could go either way.

An NIL deal equal to WNBA salary would help *
by NDoggie78  (2024-03-26 12:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ave WNBA salary = $115K so not hard to match
by ram  (2024-03-26 14:52:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea how much she might make on her NIL

Maddy, Nat Decisions Are Paramount ...
by dillon77  (2024-03-26 09:24:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you, MM and others have posted, we're in great shape next year if Maddy and Nat reup.

Still, Kylee is probably out all year and Becky is gone, so having one more big has to cross Niele's mind. Will Cass "move up" to more forward, less guard? Don't know.

- Maddy: The further the Irish go makes you wonder if she'll get hungrier to take the whole dang thing, like sister Kat. Or is that "good enough" and it's time to move on to the pro's? I could see her doing either.

- Nat: If the last three games have shown me anything, it's that extended playing time sure helps talented players settle in, take next steps and contribute. Nat is looking more confident and better knowing she's the Irish's center. She could have a chance to share center duties with Kate Koval and/or move out to spell (or take her the place of) Maddy at forward.

- To me, those moves dictate how many, who and what kind of player Coach Niele and her staff pursue. Plus, how is the Class of Pipeline looking? Kyle Macy? Other forwards?

Stay tuned...we'll know soon enough.

WNBA expansion is a reason to wait a year. It's hard to get
by Anotherjoe  (2024-03-26 09:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on an established team. Expansion won't happen this year so it says stay.

Plus more visibility in year 5
by joeyt28  (2024-03-26 12:16:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maddy seems a bit under radar especially nationally but also in ACC awards even. As team improves and she does so also, couldn’t that help her draft stock in 2025?

The entire ND program is under reported and ignored by media
by Anotherjoe  (2024-03-26 13:54:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And awards. The only way to get the deserved recognition is KEEP WINNING!

When ND takes down South Carolina then the media might wake the f up or the might just do sob stories on the losers.

Sorry that's a pet peeve of mine.

HH getting o1st AA in years was a good thing for ND, plus
by Domerduck  (2024-03-26 17:30:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN giving Niele some COY love for her ACC tourney run was also pretty nice. This year ND got its fair share and if Sonia and Maddy weren't hurt for part of the year I think they would have had more national love.

You afre right though regionals and Final 4s are where you make your mark so it is time to step up. Really it wasn't until last years tourney run where CLark was startign to get her national attention. Hannah has becopme a household name as a Freshman and Olivia had it last year as a sophomore until she got hurt before the tourney. That hurt ND's buzz last year.

Thought About That, But....
by dillon77  (2024-03-26 10:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...a few random thoughts:

- it was supposed to be two teams entering in 2025, but Portland fell through so it's just 12 more spots, not 24.
- Maddy's really improved. Apparently Carlos Knox has helped her a lot. I'll wager his input will matter to her.
- While the WNBA is the top league overall, one can make a living overseas where one can sharpen your game.
- Those fifth-year injuries to folks like Liz Kitley have to make her take notice.

On the other hand:

- the CBA of the WNBA is set to be redone in 2025, which could result in higher pay across the board, paid "extra" slots on teams, etc.
- Maddy might want to chase that ring. She loves ND and its program...that could be the swaying factor.

We'll see soon enough.

Don’t rule out Toronto. (link)
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-26 11:36:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jersey Wolfenbarger To LSU
by dillon77  (2024-03-26 08:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to Raoul:

"Arkansas WBB transfer Jersey Wolfenbarger (6-4 JR guard/forward, Fort Smith, AR) has announced her commitment to LSU."

Hmmm...

- Baylor, when Kim Mulkey was coach, was very much in the hunt for Jersey when she was in high school, who decided to go with the hometown team.

- One hand, there's a lot of good, young talent there (Williams, Johnson). On the other, Mulkey plays a frenetic, up-beat style that lends itself to good, tall athletes.

Maybe Wolfenbarger can learn from Morrow, who is a mult-set player.

Well, this "Jersey" girl isn't bound for north of the Mason Dixon line (plus we have Cass Prosper for this kind of role).

I saw Maddy on someones WNBA draft board...
by ndpaul  (2024-03-26 10:44:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the third to last pick (second round I think) and the only one service had her picked.

I still think she comes back to get to the final four. The WNBA is not close to NFL as far as early draw to leave...

Does NIL factor in at all for Maddie? *
by maverick  (2024-03-26 13:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea but looking at WNBA salaries
by ram  (2024-03-26 14:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes me think most of them can make more in college unless they play overseas
Westbeld may want to join her sister overseas
I don’t see any financial allure for the WNBA