Okay I don’t like Clark very much. The refs sure liked Iowa
by Barrister (2024-03-25 22:29:25)

though.

Agreed. It was pretty bad.
by poweri  (2024-03-26 09:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not only the discrepancy in calls but the timing too. It’s like the announcers were in on it as well as they kept mentioning how many and 1s Iowa had. All technically fouls but really really soft and not given on the other end. Momentum killers too.

One day Clark will called for her push offs. Not to mention she’s in the same category as Angel Reese in terms of low brow antics. She’s just lucky she doesn’t look like Angel Reese.

Think about the disparity in media coverage between Clark
by drmurray  (2024-03-26 06:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Fair. Fair is in the top 5? all time but is barely a footnote.

Certainly, Clark has massive achievements and is a better player, but geez. Outside of Syracuse, and some of the ACC, no one has ever heard of Fair.

and Bueckers still might be the better player
by kdh325  (2024-03-26 08:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think her return to elite status as a player after some serious injuries the previous year and a half should've been a huge story. But as you said about Fair, not much more than a footnote. But, on the other hand, I can't imagine all the pressure heaped upon Clark. Maybe it's starting to get to her a bit?

Beg To Differ on Bueckers Not Getting Her Due....
by dillon77  (2024-03-26 09:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and it's not just because I'm an active participant on The Boneyard, which is, rightly, a UConn echo chamber. She's been getting played up in the general and sport-specific media I check on frequently.

ESPN, The Athletic have all been publishing Buecker's stories non-stop. Even now, The Athletic has made a major story of Geno calling Bueckers the best player in America, which seemed very Muffetish of him.

UConn is still one of the brands of WCBB for better or for worse.
It's gonna get even more looney tunes when you see them ranked in the Top 2 of the "Too early for 2024-25" polls, with Azzi Fudd coming back to join Bueckers.

ps. I think Clark and Bueckers are absolutely terrific and will be playing against/with each other for years in the pro's and on the U.S.A. International teams.

But guess what? I think Olivia Miles could be right there as the point guard with her superb court vision and delivery mechanisms.

Lastly, Sonia Citron will be a steady, positive pro because of everything she does right in a team and individual basis. If you want someone to guard PB or CC, she's your choice.

Hawkeyes shot 25 more FTs & were called for 16 less fouls
by Cheg80  (2024-03-25 22:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Iowa took the ball to the hoop a lot more so that explains some of it, but they got away with a lot more when WVU did get inside.

read Irishhawk49's explanation below why Ole Miss
by kdh325  (2024-03-25 23:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only shot 11 free throws against ND. West Virginia launched 34 3's today(making only 9). Smaller chance of committing fouls against a 3 pt attempt. Plus WVa made it clear very early that they were going to play a highly aggressive,physical game to disrupt Iowa's offensive flow. And it worked for the most part. But the cost for that, alas, is a lot of fouls. Credit Iowa for hitting 83% of their free throws. Don't forget, too, that Iowa shot 10 FTS in the last minute of the game. On the flip side of going to the line so often, your team is denied FG attempts. Iowa took 15 fewer shots than WVA. Regardless, Iowa gets to celebrate tonight. But it'll be short-lived. I think Colorado will take them out later this week. And rather easily.

Thanks man. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-25 23:41:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Credit where credit's due. *
by kdh325  (2024-03-25 23:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clark’s off hand push offs are so obvious and it
by Barrister  (2024-03-25 22:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is simply ignored.

Iowa is a very suspect 1 seed. *
by puntthepoodle  (2024-03-25 22:38:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't surprised to see a close game
by IrishIowa20  (2024-03-26 09:04:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WVU plays the type of ball that gives this Iowa team fits. Up in your face, physical defense for 94 feet, 40 mins. See the loss to Kansas State earlier in the year. I haven't watched a ton of Colorado but I would expect them to employ something similar.

I wasn't impressed by Iowa
by Doggie  (2024-03-26 00:06:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe it was a bad game for Iowa, maybe it was just one of the matchups, maybe WV just played well but hard to see Iowa as a #1 seed after that game.

I admit to not watching a ton of WBB but that team doesn't go .500 without Clark.

Agreed because Big Ten is overrated this year
by irishfan2008  (2024-03-25 23:58:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A very average West Virginia team pushed them to the brink at home (game was tied with 2 minutes left) and they still needed the refs to bail them out.

Hawkeyes really didn't face tough competition this year besides Virginia Tech.

Iowa's best win was supposedly Ohio State and the Buckeyes lost decisively to Duke.

It's possible their shooters get hot but unless the fix is in this weekend, I think Colorado overwhelms them.

I would for ND to play Iowa in the tournament. L *
by Irishlib  (2024-03-26 12:16:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. Colorado will send them packing, I'm afraid. *
by kdh325  (2024-03-25 23:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Feels like last night's win was a big pressure release
by IrishIowa20  (2024-03-26 09:01:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if getting out of Iowa City will be a great thing for this team... I remember them winning a nail biter in the 2nd round last year against UGA and then letting it rip in Seattle en route to the final four. Sometimes getting away from the noise is a good thing. We shall see...

Buffs Played Them Tough Last Year, But Clark Was Good...
by dillon77  (2024-03-26 08:53:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they can borrow a bit of W. Va's strategy (force others to take the shots), I think your predication could (should?) come true.

BTW, the Buffs also beat LSU, who could pop up after that.