Is it time to drop the "Irish" nickname?
by ndoldtown (2007-03-10 13:12:03)

1. It has always insulted the contributions of the Poles, Germans and Italians who actually made ND an excellent school.

2. It reinforces and praises the negative characteristics of the Irish regarding drunkenness, and disorder and is thus socially unproductive, much the way "gangster rap" is.

3. Notre Dame's live leprechaun is the most embarrassing mascot of any school. Must we be the Amos 'n Andy of American ethnic Catholicism?

4. We should adopt something less offensive to people but that would also refer to our historic heritage. Crusaders, for example.

Luther's Bitches
by The Drunk  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It encompasses the European and Religious roots perfectly.

ND Weismen *
by hwyman100  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Notre Dame Flying Buttresses.
by BigShu  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has an Gothic/athletic sound, yet catchier than being the Notre Dame Fighting Naves. Shouldn't offend anyone other than possibly the descendants of medieval stone cutters who, I'm guessing, are a poorly organized underserved constituency.

Is it time to drop..
by paulk  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, yeah,. Crusaders! We're going to take the Holy Land back from the Muslim infidels!

Roof Raising, Ash Wearing, Guinness Guzzling,Friday Fish Eaters.
by Glo Worm  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the Harp fans would be insulted.

Would you accept Take A Knee Irish? Or Step Out of Bounds Wimps? *
by IrishJoeinnc  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about the Notre Dame Parietals? Those are to be feared, right? *
by CanuckND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about...
by Wass  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Sacking Huns of Notre Dame? Or maybe the Visigoths... -Wass

let's go with the Notre Dame "Parietal Violators" *
by TheShrubberer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

alternative ... "The Kirksmen" *
by TheShrubberer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I say we call ourselves the Notre Dame NCAA's
by dulac89  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would give them a dilemma...universally offensive but how do they ban themselves?

Since Elon dropped "Fighting Christians" we can just take that one! *
by Nati Domer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I noticed you said "characteristics" instead of "stereotypes"
by NDL89  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's people like you that give the Irish a bad name, fella.

In regard to your suggested replacement "Crusaders", it's obvious that you have no historical knowledge of the atrocities carried out by this group of Catholic thugs in the name of religion. Crusaders were men who fought even more than the Irish. Furthermore, in case you haven't already read the writing on the wall, ND has hired a muslim - an actual freaking muslim to teach theology along with the esteemed Richard McBrien. How do you think he would feel? How do you think Ryan Harris would feel? Not only that, how long do you think the Dome would last once the muslims are in the majority? I guarantee you that it won't be long before one of those puddle jumpers from O'Hare comes crashing down into our beloved dome if ND changed its name to Crusaders.

Next time, think twice before you post - or, in the immortal words of so many on this board - read more, post less.

You're completely correct. He should have suggested
by AnSliabhMor  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Righteous Avenging Crusaders of Death.

For what it's worth
by go47474  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unlike other "offensive" names, "Fighting Irish" was a slur before it was adopted as the team's nickname. Since "Irish" was used as blanket slur for all catholics, the name itself is a big middle finger to the anti-catholic movements in the early 20th century. I think the whole argument is silly, even if its just baiting, but it is even more silly considering the real history of the name.

Many may already know this, but I have not yet seen it posted.

Replace the leprechaun with an anthropomorphic middle finger? * *
by MaryO  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My high school changed from the Fighting Irish to the Queensmen.
by MaryO  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really. ND could try it and bring in some of the Spamalot knights as mascots. This would help turn around their Princeton Review designation of "Least tolerant campus for alternative lifestyles."

I am so sorry. *
by SWPaDem  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So am I *

Stanford are a tree. Why not us?
by CanuckND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The state tree of Indiana is the tuliptree. Doesn't the Notre Dame Tuliptrees shake you all the way to the bone?

Lay off the beer. *
by Rwirish  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look Malloy, your out of office now! *
by domerlawdad  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

South Bend Spawn! Tells people our location and reminds us that
by Farley Fantom 70  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we have to go home to have sex!

The Hunchbacks. Quasimodo is the mascot. *
by REM  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Hunchbacks
by IrishRise (click here to email the poster)  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With our new and improved "D" in mind, how about The Bell Ringers?

The Fighting Chandras? We could shave our heads.....
by ArasEra  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or staying with that theme - The Fighting Johnsons.

Holy... Fooking... Shite... That was awesome. * *
by BlarneyGreen  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should drop everything and go with "Moran"
by Hipster  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No Fighting Irish, No Notre Dame......."Moran"

either that or "Accenture"

If we must go with multiple words, then I'll settle for Brandon Wheat Kings or Stony Island Rangers.

Fightin' Morans. *
by weisenheimer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After the Kmac episode, our mascot should be Fra Savonrola *
by REM  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Mandelbrot Set of Notre Dame
by spondgebob  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Not racial, gender, or sexually offensive
2) Nickname does not end in S
3) The bitchin' uni's, would put the ducks' uniforms to shame

I agree. How about the Fighting Collectors of Some Serious Coin?
by SWPaDem  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not only would this be politically correct, it would also be correct correct.

If the truth fits, wear it.

Nobody would find fault with us for this.

Fightin' Bling
by Halman  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our mascot could be this guy

How about the Witch Burners? We could be sponsered by Match Light or
by BobK  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zippo lighters. Maybe the Righteous Witch Burners would sound better.

I modestly propose The Fightin' Purple-Headed Yogurt Flingers.
by SubGenius  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'll only offend Soviet Georgians, and only during sunburn season at that.

That was second only to the Enraged one eyed Bishops *
by goldhelmethead  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally a forum to introduce my plan to steal the Vikings nickname
by DakotaDomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Minnesota. If Knute is truly our greatest treasure, than there can be no other choice. Our mascot could ride a Harley in the stadium too.

Our mascot riding Hillary into the stadium? Eeeew!!
by sprack  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh wait, never mind.

Replace the Victory March with the theme song from "Love Boat", too. *
by ArasEra  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about the fighting Issacs?
by Halman  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get Bill Clinton donning a afro with some blackface and you have a mascot

The Victory March has got to go too...
by DakotaDomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's so arrogant and it offends women because they're not marching in the song along with the men.

I agree. The phallocentric lyrics are deplorable. *
by DillonFightSong  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

255 responses where about 250 of them need batteries. Good job! *
by irishmark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you underestimate the number of people re-baiting the hook *
by gozer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did count 23 original posts that bit the hook hard.
by c.odie  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a newbie that had never much paid attention to ndoldtown's posts. Genius. Especially the way you can continue to bait them. You became a god to me...not The God, but a god. I know its corny to post this, but I must pay homage.

No
by The Flash  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not until forced to.

Knowing the history of the nickname reminds one that once
we were the underdogs, not the arrogant, pompous, affluent,
overstuffed, self-indulged, know-it-all pricks that we are
accused of being now.

ndoldtown, you're going to need a bigger boat. Some old fish jumping. *
by Howard Roark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are baiting threads eligible for the HOF?
by dandaman688  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly hope so.

They should be. *
by wetbird  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know I had an entry already but how about "Fighting Celibates"
by 84david  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has kind of an RC ring to it, and it will give parents a (false) sense of security sending their daughters to ND. Its a pretty tough name too. Nothing's meaner than an irishman who's been cut off.

What would the mascot be..
by goldhelmethead  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A drunk scruffy Irish dude sporting a tent?

any angry eunuch would do *
by abqgant  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about the Notre Dame Gold...

Crusaders is making fun of the Muslim nation

I like either Rock, Paper, or Scissors
by backroads  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rock has probably the most historical linkage.

Our new cheer could be

"We Rock and you don't"

But if we were scissors
by Denver95  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We could play "Cuts like a knife" 10 times per game on that jumbotron White had better buy for us. And if we were paper, we could play "Paper in Fire" for the team intros on the jumbotron, and have cool flame graphics coming off of the players' shoulders.

OT - this must be a record for length of thread? *
by 14str8  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hibernian Inebriants *
by mudskipper  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always liked The Goldhelmeted Degree Seekers *

I say we go the Wichita State route.....
by NDstein04 (click here to email the poster)  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We could be the Notre Dame Donkey Punchers or the Notre Dame Crouching Caesars.

it's funny and sad at the same time
by cujaysfan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you should see all the older people flashing "the shocker" when WSU is on tv.

of course they have no idea what the hell they are doing...or what it means.

like i said - funny and kind of sad at the same time.

how about the "supine pederasts"? *
by henry  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have no players named Hanrahan, unfortunately *
by Denver95  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's a...pederast, Walter? *
by enginerd194  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shut the F up, Donny *
by sprack  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In honor of Fr. Malloy, we should be called "the Monks"
by TCIrish03  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had never been in contention for the Sears Cup until his tenure. Got more done in 18 years than Fr Ted did in 35.

I like it. We could have a shamed and embarrassed monk for our mascot. *

I vote for The Fighting Gippers *
by Ronald Reagan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I support changing our name to the "Kick A-- Crusaders".
by Mark in Seattle  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But other than that, I will personally kick anyone who attempts to impose a name change on us, squarely in the nuts.

How about the Notre Dame Genuflectors (?spelling) *
by sorin37  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank God we can finally talk about this *
by Denzel  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank god for ndoldtown.....a voice of sanity. *

Yeah...imagine how some of the players ...
by wetbird  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Czarobski, Dancewicz, Szymanski, Patulski, Browner, Page, Brown, Ismael, Heavens etc. feel about being referred to as Irish...

I give them credit. They hung in there and never complained.....

They just played good, hard ND football.

Inspiring.

They were a credit to their race *
by JTG  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed they did...

Just read Leahy's Lads...a very good book...

Well, if we really have to change
by UpstateIrish  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... the Irish Thirst or the Irish Curse

Change the mascot's name to something less offensive? BRILLIANT!!! *
by enginerd194  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lolololololol*
by Jack Daniels  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've had quite a few pints of the Guinness and I've changed me mind...

I now think your suggestion fookin' stinks and ya' can shove it up your arse.

And I'll fight any man here who's not with me.

What the fook are YOU lookin' at?

As an Irishman, this sums up my feelings about the stereotype
by Glenn Quagmire  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope this works. Haven't tried this before. Family Guy - s05e10 Peter's two dads - Irish airport
Back to the drawing board. Damn.

It's already linked in the thread. Here you go. (link)
by Howard Roark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we should call ourselves the Thundershakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *
by tex29  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This type of thread will cost us recruits
by Geoff  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lloyd Carr and Urban Meyer will tell every recruit not to go to Notre Dame because there is a controversy over our mascot. After all, wolverines and gators aren't offensive.

Those other coaches will tell recruits to stay away from Notre Dame because the fans support an ethnic stereotype. Expect many decommits after this thread. Our class will be lucky to be rated in the top fifteen.

plus the fact that only 40,000 will show up at next home game *
by abqgant  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Passive Papists *
by RochesterDomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How About The Notre Dame Cheekturners?
by SingKevin  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or maybe the Notre Dame Passive Monks.

I think Beach's boys have the market on cheek turners (link)
by bill  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit: link NSFW. Sorta.

Bravo
by BeachTrojan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If any of you have ever wondered why I (and others like me) spend time on here - this thread is your answer. Hilarious. You cannot find anything like it on any other football board.

That's it! The Notre Dame Bravos! *
by zulu  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll second your Bravo

although I'm here as a genuine subway alum and former townie...

i'll bravo your second *

we can be the flaming icecubes
by gond570  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or the ragin hobgoblins

How about the Drunks? *

You must have never seen the Middle Tennessee State mascot...
by NDTrombone04  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that thing is an insult to everything any decent God-fearing American holds dear. If there's a true enemy, it is surely the Blue Raider.

Are you serious?? just in case, my answer is NO! *
by domerboi3422  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how about Notre Dame Bears! *

Just drop the "h" from "Irish"
by mkovac  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then, we will have the "Fighting Iris" and be able to take on the Stanford tree with a true fluer-de-lis flair.

We will pummel the tree with our radiant beauty and long stalks - and beards.

If I wasn't so drunk, lazy and horny I would be offended. *
by IrishPreacher  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is funny, considering your handle. *
by c.odie  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Notre Dame Immaculate Conceptions!
by Big Red Beach  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though that might offend the impotent. Crap!

Why not do it Euro soccer style?
by usaf_irish  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just call ourselves Notre Dame?

you bleeding heart scum! *
by carbondale  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To quote one of my history teachers, "Ireland was unimportant when the
by Steedle  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

earth's crust cooled 3 billion years ago and has remained so ever since."

That said, there's lots of blood and guts in Irish history, which is kinda cool. They had the misfortune to be weak and located close to Britain, making it a constant target of England and Wales, which wanted to prevent invasion of their island via Ireland. And then, of course, religious issues developed.

I can't believe you
by HowardRoark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

saved that.

The entire country smells like soup and day old bread
by wcnitz  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The beer is okay, though.

How about "the Gargoyles"
by Raoul  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or Big Gold.

You're the Bud Fox of the board
by sobliquity  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cold calling does work.

I actually didn't think I would respond to this,but,.
by Dublinbill  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 28 years living in Ireland I have met TWO people who object to our name-and one was English.

and literally hundreds who when I respond to the "Where are you from question,and I say Notre Dame" say, "oh the Fighting Irish -and they all -and I mean ALL-smile,with pride.
just an Ireland perspective..

bill

I like these
by iNDy-IrishFan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pugilistic Papists
Kombating Kelts
Battling Bards

"Grappling Gaelics" *
by JFS_NDFAN  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ndoldtown, Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility.
by domer_mq  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben said that?

And here I thought just made great rice. Who knew?

I thought it was Aunt Jemima or Lady Marmalade *
by jt  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have you tried Uncle Jemima's liquor yet? Excellence *

Damn Irish! Is everything about booze with you people? *
by bill  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You had me going until you said "Crusaders", funny stuff.
by GreenManorite  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crusaders is possibly the worst, most offensive Catholic mascot. It sounds really heroic until you actually study the crusades.

The Crusaders helped people - they were like the Peace Corps in armor. *
by ndoldtown  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it time for "let's get rid of the Air Force" again.....

Anyone can bomb innocent civilians from way up there in the sky.

Punks.

Dont get me started - what a cowardly branch - lots of irish in it too *
by ndoldtown  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but their qb is a tough spunky little fella with a heart of gold *
by jt  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heart of a "lion" -- there you go, offending again. *
by omahadomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The women were asking for it.
by GreenManorite  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*eyeroll*

True, a rich Crusader was considered a catch. * *

Please tell me you are being facetious. *
by Fr.LangeBoy  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Read the last sentence. *
by Mark in Seattle  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about the "Notre Dame Litigating Coaches"? *
by Gort  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about Escargot...
by BAC69  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is French like Notre Dame so it speaks to our origins, it is slow so it speaks to what people say about our players, and, if anybody complains about our mascot, we tell them to eat us. But PETA might get mad at us..is escargot an animal?

"Look at that S Car Go!" *
by gozer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Escargot, my car go, 160 swiftly, wreck it by a new one" *
by Irish2003  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Notre Dame Conquering Mesopotamians sounds catchy.
by NDChavez  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure it'll fit on the T-shirts quite nicely.

go to hell...how is that for offensive... you offend me
by irishmike33  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with wanting to get rid of the nickname. I am 100% Irish and by no means am i offended by the name, just leave the subject alone it's really annoying.

my, my---you sound like an angry, drunken irish bastard *

There was nothing wrong with our offensive

it was the defensive that kept us in hot water...

Minter is a Brit name, but I'll bet he was Orange Irish. *

you seem like a nice guy. Have you heard of

demonstrating absurdity by being absurd?

It's a different world now - the name change is long overdue.....

Change is sometimes difficult to swallow.

Don't shoot the messenger - ndoldtown is just trying to help and he always brings a good message to the forum.

How different is "Fighting Irish" from "Fighting Harps"?

It's so degrading.

Your degraded standards are not the issue here.

Those of us with more discriminating sensibilities (not 100% Irish) need to be heard from.

Yes, and I propose an alternative suitable forthe Internet Age

The Fighting Newbie Baiters.

Who's with me?!

Did anyone see South Park Wednesday night?
by passright  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should change our mascot to the Fighting Irish Guy, or just Irish Guy.

Replace it with "THE FIGHTING AMISH"!!!!!!!!!!.....

ND would be more in touch with their surroundings.

A mascot dressed in Amish garb driving a horse and buggy around the stadium - the Sooner Schooner would take a backseat to ND.

"HERE COME THE AMISH!!!...HERE COME THE AMISH!!!"

Do the Amish fight?

I can hear the "four corners of the stadium cheer" during the 10 minute timeouts for NBC commercials:

"WE..........ARE..........AH..........MISH"

The Snappin' Mackerels! *
by ringgold  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Port Chester Whooping Cranes? *

Well, we clearly can't have a team named after people...

naming after any group of people will surely offend someone, and we can't have that. So we're down to animals, plants, or inanimate objects. The latter 2 just simply won't do. But all the really cool animals are taken. So what are we to do? I've got a name that rolls off the tongue, and stays true to the fighting spirit of our teams, even if it isn't the most intimidating animal in and of itself. We should rename our teams "The ass-kickin chickens"

Every nickname should then be dropped..
by NDGlass  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For every nickname, someone is offended. That doesnt mean we start getting rid of all nicknames. I mean come on, how far is this going to go. Maybe Georgia should get rid of the "Bulldogs" because they make bulldogs seem aggressive and mean. I find bulldogs loving and sensitive. Im offended.

Go Irish , Fighting Irish

OT: Has one thread ever reached the length of the whole page? *
by Lazarus  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Irish are so thin-skinned *

You would be too if you had to use sunblock by the barrel

Your basic swarthy-skinned Mediterreanean types will never understand.

It is true - people of the sun such as myself do cut a bella figura

But I was born to it.

And pasty. *

yes, but who knew they had Internet access? *
by Lazarus  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Potato Famine Irish
by Cuchulain  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the American way to wallow in self-pity. And it defuses Stanford band attempts at sarcasm.

Don't like that? How about Inerrant Papists? Or Bloody Martyrs? Fish-eaters is a nice alternative to Mackeral Snappers, which probably doesn't mean much to most non-Catholics today. Or the Fighting Dolours (of the BVM.)

Poles are still mad at you for insulting their leader who coaches...
by Scoop80  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BB last night. I also wonder how popular you are w/ Flanner alums these days.

I am here to enlighten, damn it, not to win some popularity contest. *

I'm old school. I say we go with the Fighting Druids.
by Bacchus  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We already have Stonehenge on campus along with students who wear face/body paint.

And I don't know too many Druids that exist anymore
by Big Red Beach  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who could be offended. Though Geico proved me wrong on cavemen. Man, what a PR nightmare that was!

Doesn't make any difference
by kdh325  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there aren't any Native Americans of the Illini tribes any more, either.

Nor any Trojans or Spartans

And yet the Greek are seemingly unoffended!!

You represent everything wrong with our world....a small
by terry fox  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

minority of persons who are always offended by one thing or another and try to impose their will on everyone else. I hope Knute Rockne rises from the dead, learns of your "discussion" drivel, and proceeds to tear you to shreads-----and then resumes coaching our beloved FIGHTING IRISH! Do us all a favor and become a bucking fuckeye fan so we don't have to put up with your sorry ass. Maybe you should contact Poodle and let him know that the Trojan nickname is offensive to rubbers and should be changed immediately. You make me ill!

you tell 'em--i'm sick of bleeding hearts *

Just when you thought the pond was fished out
by JTG  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How does someone get hooked that late into the thread? Weren't there already 25-50 posts demonstrating that this was newbie baiting at it's best/worst?

he was previously hooked, reeled in, and released with a 2nd chance.
by ChicagoIrish  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terry Fox was a source of much amusement in the past. I believe the fisherman in that instance was SBDomer.

All right, which Board Op is this? *
by ShermanOaksND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

irishgruff *

Good grief. Really, you should read a lot more. *
by HowardRoark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hook, line, and sinker...for the fifth time. *
by SwolyswoND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rockne shared my contempt for the deficiencies of the Irish

He, like so many of us, labored under the burden of their reputation and worked hard to burnish the image of Notre Dame despite the weight of their deadening hand.

That damn cold-blooded Norwegian*
by passright  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Were you listening to the dude's story? *
by TonyBullets  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was bowling *

Harrumph! *
by 105Marquette  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame Multicultural Pacifists
by Dr. Rosenrosen  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does have a ring to it.

Introducing The Notre Dame Amiable Folk
by mrmagee  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kinda old homey, non-offensive. Perfect.

Our logo can be two bunnies loping tenderly through the wild meadows.

How about Caped Crusaders?
by ShermanOaksND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Batman would be our mascot. He already has blue and gold in his uniform. It also would be an ode to our science department, because Batman's a scientist.

We could send up the Bat Signal for night games.

The Crusaders raped and pillaged their way across the Holy Land

We need something more gentle, but still martial. Maybe the Templars. They were priests as well as knights, weren't they?

Was that wrong...I mean considering the desired ends? *
by zulu  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The desired end for most of the soldiers who went to
by Fr.LangeBoy  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Holy Land was to earn a living. They were mercenaries and they went where the jobs were. The leaders went in search of land and riches, and they found them. Read the history of the Crusades and you will learn that they were a very dark chapter in human history.

I absolutely agree

In keeping with "our historic heritage" and not being "Amos 'n Andy," I suggest we go with "The Inquisitors." That was socially productive, don't you think?

As an added benefit noone would ever expect us.

Being inquisitive is good - would you prefer to live in ignorance? *

Hey, I'm with you. Just because I'm Irish is no reason

to impose my ethnicity on you. Discrimination is just another word for ignorance.

Edit: spelling

Amos 'n Andy

I like Amos 'n Andy, they are funny as hell. Tell me honestly you don't bust a gut listening to them.

Fighting Irish should stay, I make sure to avoid purchasing things
by NDND  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with just Notre Dame Irish on them. I like the Leprechaun with a pipe in his mouth too.

The next suggestion with be to put big flippin UN stickers on the gold helmets.

You obviously don't have a sense of humor.

Humour for you Brits. :)

The Fargin' Iceholes *
by tjnd88  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the language butcherers *

I've got it!! perfect new name for ND

Fighting (but sober) kraut, mick, pollack, guinea irishmen

it's a little long but doesn't leave out any of the important aforementioned groups

crusaders brings to remembrance the actual crusades--that is politically incorrect to the max--don't you know what a travesty it would be to offend muslims in this day and age

in fact, i believe i just saved your life because as soon as the name was changed to Fighting Crusaders, every muslim worth his salt would take a blood oath to behead you

no need to thank me, i'm nothing if not helpful and concerned for your welfare

"Crusaders" was, and is, the nickname of my high school. *
by 1002  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too! *
by atlpns  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey!

Don't forget those coonass cajuns, they're Catholic too!

Will you come off it, Walter? You're not even f-cking Jewish, man

It's all a part of your sick Cynthia thing, man. Taking care of her fucking dog. Going to her fucking synagogue. You're living in the fucking past.

bead clickers would be a good name *
by tarheel  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mackerel Snapper?

Mackeral Snapping Anarchists

"A derivative phrase, "Mackeral Snapping Anarchists," is often borne as a point of pride by people affiliated with the University of Notre Dame, after it was coined by a member of the Ku Klux Klan in an anonymous letter written to the President of the University in 1924, after approximately 1,000 Notre Dame students had succeeded in driving some 30,000 rallying Klansmen out of South Bend."

I had no idea.

Three thousand years . . .

of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax, you're goddamn right I'm living in the fucking past!

You figured 'Oh, here's a loser. A deadbeat,

someone the square community won't give a shit about.

Well
by tcob  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren't you?

Well
by tcob  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren't you?

You're a treasure.
by Mr.Natural  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please don't ever stop posting.

Redmen is now available *
by ufl  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FIGHTING is what we do. we emulate the spirit of the Irish,
by SCmaga45  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who helped put the University on the map.

There's things in this world still worth "fighting" for

NO * *
by ndusn  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was selected to praise the irish and their fighting spirit.
by vinceirish  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, it may not be related but Father Corby blessed the Irish troops at the battle of Gettysburg. By the way, I hate political correctness.

I heard a different story about the "fighting" part of the name
by saNDiego  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the story went that the word "fighting" was added to the name after a violent street fight broke out between the students at the university and a group of KKK members who had come to South Bend.

Is there any truth to that?

Read "Notre Dame and the Klan". ND students went against a big
by irishbacker  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Klan rally in late spring of 1924, basically leading to the elimination of the Klan as a viable political organization in Indiana. Prior to that, the Klan had grown to a major force in Indiana, basically controlling state politics. Within a few months of the riot, ND had won it's first consensus national football championship (4 horsemen year) and the Indiana Klan leader was convicted of 2nd degree murder. Go Fightin' Irish!

Thanks *
by saNDiego  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You apparently also hate sarcasm. *

serious
by TONY  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you cant be serious

n1!!fm!11

Back to "Ramblers" it also describes the mental process of
by Tooelemink  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

certain board posters on Rock's House.

Cheers ndoldtown. This board was stagnant last couple days. *

I like the fighting part
by sweeney's73  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how about exchanging the Irish for Italians, and associate ourselves with far superior art, architecture, music and food.

For example, we could Andrea Bocelli to sing the national anthem and Tony Soprano to speak at pep rally's before the big games instead of football players (boring) to get us in the proper killing mood.

No, because then USC would complain about us greasing the field *
by akaRonMexico  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, but the downside is you sacrifice the drinking. *
by IrishGeek  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grappa, vino, birra Moretti? Well scratch that last one*

Seconded* *

The Fighting Guidos
by nd03  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but could Andy support a mascot that used that much hair gel?

Winning Wops?*
by greengael  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Damn Dagos*

Rutgers has Tony Soprano booked. *
by FiveJumpChump  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three out of four.
by irish628  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll never concede "music". It's too deeply engrained in my soul.

You can have my mom's cooking though. When Priscilla Presley said "I'm boiling a roast" in Naked Gun, I wondered why everyone was laughing.

It would be an immense trade-up. *

Whoa, what's wrong with Crusaders...I mean we wear purple
by IrishCrusader  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but besides that we're as good a hard drinking, lookin to fight, guilt ridden, irish catholic school as any other place.
Go Cross Beat Bucknell

Is newbie baiting back in season? *
by ND06  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We could change to The Fighting Potawatomi *
by BacTien  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think that would help our hard drinking image*

Then we could put up our own casino and let the revenues flow. *

Also, it "turns back the odometer" on recent misdeeds.
by Naughman  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Long streak of bowl losses? Sorry, ma'am, that was the Irish who spit the bit in the postseason!

Feeling shame over firing your minority coach preemptively or kicking an old man off your coaching staff for no good reason? Well, the Crusaders would never do such a thing!

Hoping to appeal to a broader base of today's fans? Nothing like an abstract, non-denominational nickname to ramp up patronage among the savvy consumers of a new millenium! Is "Spirit" already spoken for? By a men's team, I mean?

Saginaw Hockey Team
by schmendel  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that men's hockey?
by Naughman  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you sure?

Ontario Jr. League Hcokey...

home of a ton of future NHLers

Mascot is Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle
by schmendel  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Named after Colbert.

How is point 2 possible?
by drunkenmick  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't get it.

Yours Truly

Drunkenmick

Do all Micks/Mickeys sign their name? Or do you have two handles? *
by TonyBullets  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never. Maybe drop the "Fighting", but not the "Irish" *

How about Black Irish. It might help recruiting. *
by irishbacker  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scrapping Irish. Pugilistic Irish. Both better than plain "irish" *

In light of what could be a pigmentally challenged recruiting class,
by akaRonMexico  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

might I suggest the Fighting Whities.

Black Irish?*
by greengael  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Already taken *
by ProfKid93  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand some members of USC FB team have already registered
by donegalnd73  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that name in case people have trouble with using a prophylactic as a mascot.

This HAS to be serious.
by irish628  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

#3 is too true for this to be tongue in cheek.

I cringe every time I see a close up of the leprechaun shouting into the camera. Is there a weight limit (like 150 lbs) on those trying out?

Amen, brother - my cheeks turn red when I see it. *

Lay off the whisky, ya bum! *

I would say something mean but...

I'm to busy farming this potato field,pounding beers,and whippin the snot out of my 17 kids.

Why not a French mascot?
by smcchick  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After all ND was founded by a Frenchie. Maybe we can have a mascot like the French in Monty Python's Holy Grail. He can snort and say I fart in your general direction.

Why did I even respond to this post?

Notre Dame Surrender Monkeys?
by Glenn Quagmire  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure US Rep. Peter King, a domer BTW, has been quoted as saying that it's not a World War until the French have surrendered.

And the mascot will be a Frog!! *
by atlpns  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

University of Notre Dame Retreat *
by ctirish05  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because we'd never win again?*

Cheese-eating surrender monkeys? *
by Johnny Rico  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Baguettes *
by IrishSet  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shall we attach white flags to our helmets also? *

You know, there were people who could've stopped Hitler
by IrishLep  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but they didn't. Who know who those people were, Clyde? The French. You're not French...are you Clyde? Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir, Clyde?
God I love Cartman

Because your mother was a hamster . . .
by geoffgeoffers  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . and your father smelled of elderberries.

Hmm:
by ProfKid93  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please tell me he's joking
by IrishSet  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After seeing his Duke posts yesterday on The Pit, part of me says he is. But the other part says he's dead serious.

I'm Irish and I see no problem with Fighting Irish at all. I think most other Irish people would agree. Many Irish people I know who have no affiliation with the University love wearing Notre Dame apparel out of pride for their Irish heritage. However, I have always thought it ironic that the PC police did not go after the one mascot that was actually named off of a stereotype.

Of course he is being serious
by Geoff  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Fighting Irish name has no place in our current global economy. It is offensive. I don't even like tying "The Fighting Irish." It makes me feel dirty. We should just call it the "FI" term.

Why do you support bigotry? Let's just drop the "FI" term and move on.

F.I.?
by BoogAlou  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the "feckin' idgets"?

Well we could always copy Syracuse

We could drop FI and just go to Irish. As an Irish American, I don't really see it as that big of a deal.

Irish is still bad

It singles out a group of people. It ignores other ethnic groups: like the proud Poles and Eye-talians who helped make Notre Dame great. I say we should rename the mascot "Green." The University of Notre Dame Green.

If you must include a religious element to the mascot. Then we should be called the University of Notre Dame Muslims. Islam is a religion of peace. And it won't offend anyone. If anyone is offended, then they are clearly bigots. And who cares what they think.

Green also embodies the new enviro-spirit of America
by 84david  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since Algor won a grammy.

Our new mascot should be a guy in an Algor fat suit driving around a Prius Hybrid.

When we play Stanford, our Algor can symbolicly hug a tree while we all recite the prayer to Mother Earth.

Did you ever consider that it is a badge of shame for many of us? * *

I've never thought of it as a scarlet letter of sorts *

I thought fishing season was over *
by dwjm3  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Notre Dame Sports Participants *
by petendcolin (click here to email the poster)  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crusaders has been done
by Jvan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why not reach out to the Chinese? We could be the first to adopt our native language for the 22nd century.

It hasn't been done at the level he's proposing since
by THA  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the 12th Century.

There is only one option which could unite all peoples: the Obamas *
by Father Nieuwland  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The O'Bamas unites ND and the Crimson Flow! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fighting Doberman Pincher Genitalias
by LondonDomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any one who has watch the extras of Anchor Man knows what Im talking about

I saw your first response.

ndoldtown is glad you returned his hook now that you are done with it.

yeah it took me a second...
by LondonDomer  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the hook got me pretty good. It hurts, it really does.

Sigh.

Love,

I think we need to take Fighting Irish MORE literally.

Our mascot should be a guy wearing all black with a black hood over his face and carrying a sub-machine gun. The fight song should be changed to "Sunday Bloody Sunday."

You have done a great service with your post

We live in the 21st Century. We are beyond using offensive slurs about the shanty Irish as our team's mascot. The potato famine happened a long time ago. Let's get over that.

I disagree with your suggestion about "The Crusaders." That is too religious. It might offend non-Christians. We don't want to do that. I suggest we follow Stanford and rename our disgusting "Fighting Irish" to "Green."

The University of Notre Dame Green. Much better. Only ignorant assclowns would want to keep "The Fighting Irish."

Your suggestion could also link us in to the environmental movement

It would be very good PR for the University. But how about a better mix of the Crusader clad in green who wields his broadsword against SUV's and inefficient lightbulbs? This is the type of thinking that could move ND forward, but that we dont see because the administration is so fearful of change.

The Crusader sounds too Catholic

It would smack of popery. The last thing we need is a mascot that might appeal to all of those Maryists ruining our great country.

I do like the idea of a character with a sword bashing an SUV. Why not replace the offensive Crusader with a member of the Ulster Irish?

Then I suppose "Cardinals" is out. *

Crusader also sounds a lot like

The College of the Holy Cross. The Crusaders. And let's not forget "Crusader Rabbit"

I can't believe he is getting bites on this * *
by ndgibby  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ndoldtown:
by Twinkie the Kid  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that a question? *
by DBCooper  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm Ron Burgandy? *

Yeah i was a little bumfuzzled there.
by ndgibby  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a mix of confusion and shock.

He's giving SBDomer a run for his dinero. *

Let's not go out of our way...
by Sorin  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to get stupid, now.

Ah yes, Crusaders would go over nicely with the Muslim community. Concentrate your efforts on a cure for cancer or something.

sinker *
by Khaddafi  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the fightin fightin's *
by ColoNDFan  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know it is off topic, but...
by Porpoiseboy  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sent Champaign a suggestion to change their mascot to Chief Illiniwitz. He's a part Jewish, part Italian cop, who has some authentic native American blood in him. He's actually the chief of police, not a native American Chief, but if you say he can't be, I'll sue you!

I have not heard back from them, yet.

Funniest thing I've read on this thread so far *

KW adds:"reason #5 - huge revenue from new name/logo merchandise sales *
by Father Nieuwland  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about the "Fighting Jumbotrons" *

Not to sound rude, but
by quinn4heisman06  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shut up

Why dont you send your local cop or ward healer to compel my silence?

Isnt that how you people use your machines to quell those who challenge your medieval attitudes?

Line. *

Crusaders on black jerseys woud be NIIIIIIICE! *
by seano  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is none more black...
by nddrumline  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is what our competition would say.

Our mascot is fine, it's our band that is embarrassing. They should

be more like Stanford. I mean they are so creative, free-thinking, and eco-friendly.

"The Null Set" won't offend anyone. *
by PWK2  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ahhhh! The straw that stirs the drink! You must be bored today. *
by donegalnd73  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now is the time for us to think about this.

The season is over, spring practice has not begun and maybe we can have some honest, open discussion about what has been an embarrassing, retro shame to our school for a long time now.

While we're at it, the Church should reconsider that cross symbolism.

After all, 2,000 years is kinda long for that one too.

Perhaps the school should do reparations? *
by JTAD31  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reparations

I'm Mediteranean Irish can I qualify for payments?

How many kegs would it take? *

Do you think that in this PC world that "Crusaders" might get

Muslims a little upset? Additionally, I know Hillary & Rosie will not be happy!

Why would it? The Crusaders went to help the Muslims. *

I guess the slaughters were an accident! Also these same Crusaders

murdered Jews & other "non-believers" at the same rate, esp during the "1st Crusade". Richard the Lionhearted made Saladin look like a piker when it came to slaughter.

Incarnate Word U in TX changed from Crusaders b/c it offended Muslims
by mmetzger  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now they are the Cardinals

Yes. Let's be the Fightin' *
by nddrumline  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we should drop you *
by jdoughe4  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hook. *

I thought baiting season ended in December. *
by 105Marquette  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why don't you just hit me over the head with your beer bottle?

Isnt that the ethos you people dig?

It will be a cold day in Hell before you pry my pint away from me!!! *
by jdoughe4  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How typical, while my tax dollars pay to support you people. *

I cut your lawn and tend your bar...I think we are even *

Certain people need not apply for those jobs with me. *

The Tweed Machine is coming for your soul *

It is just such "group voting" by manipulable peasants

that marks you people as a threat to American Democracy.

Let me refresh your Irish History (link)

I have always loved that segment. *

I am still laughing *

Major agreeance on point 3. *
by NDBass  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very PC; media-friendly; non-sexist: Battling Bastards. *
by BigDimmy73  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post