It means everything to me
by The Holtz Room (click here to email the poster) (2005-11-09 01:07:26)

In reply to: The broken link: What has ND's football tradition meant to you?  posted by Board Ops

I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't cheering for ND. I remember my dad and I watching games when I was a kid and then going outside during halftime and throwing the football. From then on, I was hooked.

I knew I wanted to go to Notre Dame. To me, there was NO other school. When I was in grade school I went to one of the Blue and Gold games and met Ned Bolcar with whom I share the same first name. I remember him telling me "Ned's are special people and maybe some day I'd be the next Ned on the team." This sounded great to a kid in elementary school, unfortunately, I never had quite the build to play at that level.

I sent Chris Zorich a sympathy card after his mom died just hoping it might get to him. I couldn't believe it when I came home one day to find he had writen me a thank you note from Bears training camp. With so much going on in his life he found the time to say thanks. I again realized that this is the type of person I wanted to be and that ND is the place that would help shape my character.

I'll never forget the day I got my letter from ND. It was thin so naturally I was worried. I had to read it at least a dozen times just to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Finally, after 18 years working and dreaming I was heading to ND.

One of the best moments of my life came my sophmore year at ND. Coach Holtz, a man that I had a mountain of respect and admiration for, was coming to see my roommates and I. Here is a man who could have used his time on campus for any number of things and choose to spend a part of his day telling stories to 4 guys in a dorm room. I'll never for get that.

I know my time at ND, more than anything else, has shaped me into the person I am today. I miss being on that campus everyday, but I'm greatful for everyday I got to spend there. From midnight walks smoking a cigar, visiting Rock's grave and leaving a shot, praying at the grotto, cheering my heart out at the game, the tradition of ND is a blanket that I've wrapped myself in my whole life. That tradition represents everyone that has come before me and everyone that will come after me.

The tradition of ND football: Something to love, something to live.

-Ned