Are you saying the program should transition to Sheahan now?
by ndmd99 (2024-03-11 10:26:50)

In reply to: Before the Michigan games  posted by Boston Domer

Or move on from all 4 coaches (Jackson/Pooley/Slaggert/Sheahan)?

I still think the wisest move is to fire/"retire" Pooley. Goaltending isn't a problem. I'd like to see what Sheahan can do with the D (which may take a couple years as players he recruits eventually get to campus -- I think he had some good commits last Fall with Aucoin and Klaers). That leaves the forwards/PP. Which is Pooley.

That being said, Jackson/Pooley are probably inseparable ride-or-die. If that's the case, I'd still give JJ another year to see if Sheahan has any effect in this recruiting cycle. If we aren't getting our top targets (esp at forward), then I suspect JJ and Co will toss in the towel after next year.

There's a third Nelson brother who is invited to NTDP tryouts and may be a higher ranked prospect than Danny/Henry were at this stage. Where he commits next August should be a solid litmus test for the program.

I think they can't bring back the entire staff intact
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-11 14:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after two such disappointing seasons. Whether that means retaining Jackson, but requesting that he fire a long-time assistant (a tough needle to thread) or cleaning house completely, I haven't decided.

I lean towards not firing the head coach, but I don't think I'd object if it happened.

Its clear the staff is beyond stale.
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-11 18:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm curious is any NCAA staff in another sport has been together as long as Jackson, Pooley and Slaggert. I'd be utterly shocked if so. In NCAA hockey there is nothing remotely close to the near two-decade run those three have had together

It would be one thing if the level of success was being sustained. But we have not been an NCAA worthy team for 4 of the last 5 seasons. For the life of me I can't see why the university wouldn't think changes are absolutely necessary. But one thing I am 100% convinced of is Notre Dame isn't firing Jackson. No chance of that at all. What bugs me the most is I doubt there are serious discussion being held with Jackson about the state of the program. I think all the university sees is no scandals, good kids, games they can call sold out, and up until this season, the bad seasons are .500, not 7-25-4.

Union, Robert Morris, and Maine are all contemplating multi-million dollar upgrades to their facilities or building new ones all together. A number of other schools have already undertaken or recently completed similar palaces in the facilities arms race. What put us on a separate page from a lot of programs is not quite as true any more. We need to put this right quickly. Another couple of years of sub-.500 performance and we could see that the ship has sailed.

Prepared to be shocked
by NH74Domer  (2024-03-11 21:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Woman’s BB has numerous examples of long term head coaches and assistants. Geno’s assistant has been with him since ‘85. Carol Owen’s was with Muffet on and off for 19.

Rand Pecknold’s assistants tend to stay around for awhile, although not as long as JJ’s. He’s had two assistants since ‘08, Riga (now HC at HC) and Dumais.

I get that pairs of coaches (or maybe more in football since
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-11 22:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their staffs are so big) sometimes remain together for a long time, but not entire staffs. Has Ariemma's ENTIRE staff remained the same since he started coaching at UConn? With Notre Dame the only change at all for the entirety of Jackson's tenure in the paid coaching staff was when the NCAA allowed another full salary coach to be hired, hence the addition of Sheahan. I doubt anyone has a staff that is completely unchanged going on two decades. Riga has been at Holy Cross for a few years now and was not at Quinnipiac when Pecknold started there. And Mike Corbett has been with Quinnipiac for just a couple of years. And they finally won their NCAA title after Riga left and was replaced by Corbett.