tough opener - taking on defending natl champs
by cujaysfan (2017-04-24 23:46:18)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Lefty's Rink ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

DU @ ND

2-game series at Compton--Oct. 13-14 (football bye weekend) *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-28 12:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now that'd be more fun to go back and tailgate *
by cujaysfan  (2017-04-28 16:28:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are we allowed? I'd be game *
by dakotadomer  (2017-04-29 22:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tried to once a couple years ago and got chased off
by wearendhockey  (2017-04-30 12:49:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were 6 or 8 of us that planned on a tailgate one day. Notre Dame was starting a hockey game at 5:00 for some reason on a Saturday during the first season of the CFIA and we thought an afternoon tailgate would be fun. We weren't set up for more than 10 minutes when the NDSP came by and told us to pack our stuff up. I believe they even told us we couldn't set up some lawn tables and chairs behind our vehicles.

Weird. I've seen tailgating before Lacrosse games at ND. *
by RocketShark  (2017-04-30 18:56:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember tailgating baseball
by DakotaDomer  (2017-05-01 09:05:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think if you get low enough on the totem pole they don't send over anyone to prevent fun from happening.

Basketball and hockey require crowd control...I mean, security, to assure the customer experience is as bland as possible.

To be fair, I've never seen anyone tailgate UND hockey either so I'm thinking daytime field sports get to partake and night-time arena sports do not.

CUJ - if you want to, we can tailgate the hell out of the Fairfield Inn parking lot!

Killjoys, as ever *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-30 18:35:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We thought so, but in fairness then
by wearendhockey  (2017-05-01 10:06:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they do not expect this sort of thing for the other sports, so I could see why there would be some concern that they would not have parking or security people prepared. But when they could clearly see it was a handful of people and three vehicles, they could have said to us keep it quiet and suggested we bring the idea of hockey tailgating to the university to see if it might have some traction before we did it again. Little by little after that we could see how the fun and intimacy of hockey was going to go the same route as everything else at Notre Disney.

They could also worry about parking lot clean-up
by NDoggie78  (2017-05-01 16:09:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They may not employ clean-up crews for other sports besides football. If you have ever ventured through the lots late on Saturday after a football game, it is amazing the crews have started and pretty much have it cleaned up by Sunday morning. Also amazing how much debris/junk/garbage/tents/coolers/etc is left behind.

Now, granted, one group certainly wouldn't matter - especially if they cleaned up after themselves - but you also have to remember these are student parking lots that will get used the next day or two. This may be their reasoning (that and this is ND we are talking about)

That being said, I have "tailgated" for other sports if you loosely define tailgating as having coolers in the trunk and a group of us pregame drinking - no real food, grills, chairs, tents, tables, etc.

I might suggest - if truly interested in tailgating - the lot behind Innovation Park or Fairfield or Boy Scout Lot next to Parisi's would work - or just "tailgate" at O'Rourkes, Legends, or Rohrs (Morris Inn)

And far easier in terms of hotel rooms *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-29 00:01:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think of the embarrassment if we lose...
by DakotaDomer  (2017-04-25 10:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don't even have a football team!

They used to (v)
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-05-02 16:01:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They even have highlight films for the 1954 and 1955 teams. DU won the Skyline Conference in 1954 and lost the 1955 title against arch-rival Colorado A&M (now Colorado State). The Skyline included many future WAC and MWC teams, such as Utah, BYU, CSU, New Mexico, and Wyoming. Denver dropped its varsity football program after the 1960 season.

DU had a 30,000-seat on-campus stadium that was torn down in 1971. Air Force shared the stadium with DU from 1955-1961, one year after DU dropped football.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.