The game was in Massachusetts so there was press coverage
by Boston Domer (2017-03-17 22:26:53)
Edited on 2017-03-17 22:29:17
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Lefty's Rink ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Here's Jeff Jackson to CHN's Mike McMahon after the game:

I think we had a great run in the league
by mikeybates  (2017-03-17 23:12:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our conference record was 46-27-15. Not bad. (And it was 44-18-13 vs. teams not located in Lowell, MA.) And we were a win vs. a lousy UMass team from taking the regular season title this year. I don't buy that the league 'hurt' us, as Jackson seems to be suggesting, except insofar as it is a great league.

After the CCHA fell apart, though, there was never going to be a perfect fit. The Big 10 won't be a perfect fit either.

I agree for the most part....
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-18 11:15:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's essential that the Big I land the Nodaks or Duluth. Seven doesn't work and either one could easily fit the Big's new "affiliate sport" concession. Ultimately there's a mix of teams from HE, Big I, NCHC and ECAC which we'd be a good fit with.

I agree with the comments about not finding a perfect fit
by wearendhockey  (2017-03-18 11:06:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

post-CCHA but I think it's very true we did not fit with Hockey East and were unwelcome there.

I think the schools all had one legitimate beef in that the travel to South Bend was unlike anything they had experienced regularly for HE games. But we faced a juvenile baptism by fire for the first two years in the league as far as officiating goes and the league, the individual schools and certainly the fans did not seem to understand what having a brand like Notre Dame in their league meant as far as any sort of "bigger picture."

The B1G will not be a perfect fit either, but as much as it pains me to say it it will probably be a better fit. We're playing schools both the program and the fans are familiar with and the travel situation has equalized. No casual fan around here gave a crap about a single team in Hockey East not named Boston College, and as much as I hate Michigan, the CFIA was always buzzing (much like the JACC) when UM came to town.

Hopefully our first game in the B1G will be preceded by a banner unveiling. That will make our entry into yet another new league a lot more fun to work with.

I liked playing in Hockey East a lot
by mikeybates  (2017-03-18 14:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but (to borrow a joke from Frasier) it's clear that many fans of these smaller schools exhibit the full range of emotions toward us- everything from envy to jealousy. They resent that people in, say, Texas or California have heard of our school. They resent the academic reputation. They resent that football drives the bus. They resent the helmets. Blah, blah, blah.

I assumed (among fans of HE schools) only BC fans were like this, but clearly many others are too.

My sense of the unhappiness from HE teams...
by Mr Wednesday  (2017-03-18 22:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was about lack of fit. They didn't like how ND was outside the geographic footprint (WAY outside the geographic footprint), they thought it seemed like a mercenary move to bring the Irish into the league.

It's a subgroup....
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-19 10:55:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BC was fine with it, as were (so I've heard) PC, UConn, and NU. UNH, being incredibly cheap, was opposed (they actually took buses to South Bend). Supposedly BU saw it as turf encroachment.

That's my understanding of it as well
by Boston Domer  (2017-03-20 10:11:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I was told BU's athletic director voted in favor of our invitation, but they hired a new AD after we joined so I'm not sure what he thinks. That tidbit about UNH doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm filing my first complaint now against B1G refs
by graNDfan  (2017-03-18 14:16:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate early....

They're mostly old CCHA referees *
by Boston Domer  (2017-03-18 14:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a/k/a "Should Be Unemployed" *
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-19 10:56:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you're right but if I hear one more time...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-18 12:33:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about a bunch of frigging football fans needing "familiar names" I may go postal. USC has a club team - let's f'g play them so these clowns can show up at games and take selfies. The school is located in the Great Lakes region, not the frigging desert Southwest.

get ready to go postal then...
by DavidAddison  (2017-03-18 15:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because I can't wait for the Big10 opponents. Damn HE (other than BC) was a bunch of no-name schools and the Compton was generally dead because of it.

Playing the Big10 schools will get some real emotion going again among the fans.

It's not some sort of sidelight for football fans...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-03-18 21:42:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

real shame we can't seem to get a fanbase which actually knows the best game around

I'm not arguing
by DavidAddison  (2017-03-20 18:16:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the obvious point is, who would most fans prefer to see for a weekend at Compton. Maine, or Michigan State? And I'm not cherry picking teams based on record. I'd rather see ND/Michigan than ND/UMass-Lowell, even though UML is the better team.

Most people would rather have a Diet Coke than a Meijer brand diet cola. Just the way it is.

And, by the way, I've been watching hockey "forever." Could probably name 6 or so players from all the Dynasty NHL teams since the mid-70's.

Poor performance on the ice has nothing to do with HE fit..
by Wolfetone  (2017-03-18 11:29:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We came up short again in a big game. Whose fault is that? I would
rather stay in HE because it is the best conference to play hockey
in. Welcome/unwelcome should have nothing to do with performance
on the ice...

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.