Is there too much parity for one-and-done?
by Hipster (2013-03-31 10:50:36)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Jackson's Rink ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

with a sixteen team field? On the one hand I think its great that hockey has grown over the past 30 years to the point where any one of sixteen teams might have the talent to play for a championship. On the other hand, upsets have stop becoming upsets and the regular season has stopped counting for much beyond making the field.

Perhaps taking the conference champions and a few at large bids for an eight team field in a best 2 out of 3 series would solve the problem.

Yes to question #1, but I don't know that an 8 team field is
by StillaLeafsFan  (2013-03-31 14:36:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reasonable.
I don't know what the best solution is to this issue, but the current one-and-done format, while practical from a logistics view, does not select the best team to win the whole shooting match. The pathetic crowd draws of the regionals also need to be addressed. I would love to see some kind of overhaul of the NCAA playoffs. Right now there is a fair bit of luck involved, and you have weaker teams beating strong teams, in half-empty buildings.

Non-hockey people (most of the NCAA) think....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-04-01 09:42:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it works for hoops so....Except that hockey is completely different. It's a lousy come-from-behind game and one bad period/a coup;e of freak bounces or deflections can cook you. Now if they had the 2-goal shot and the illegal defense.....

Why not use the baseball model - that's an NCAA sport
by NDoggie78  (2013-04-01 10:07:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both in format and in hosting sites. Invariably, baseball gets the best teams to the college world series.

I'll reiterate my proposal
by ShermanOaksND  (2013-03-31 15:17:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best of 3 format for the rounds of 16 and 8. The round of 16 would be this weekend at campus sites, with the higher seeds playing host.

The round of 8 would be the "regionals" at neutral sites, next weekend. I might re-seed after the round of 16 and after the regionals.

The Frozen Four would remain the weekend after the Final Four, but I'd flip it from Thursday-Saturday to Saturday-Monday. This would give teams more rest, make it easier for more people to watch the Saturday games, and maximize TV ratings for the championship game.

I think there are some good ideas here
by StillaLeafsFan  (2013-03-31 22:43:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I particularly like the idea of keeping the first round at campus sites, and I like the best-of-three format. Having the next round at regionals...not sure how that would work. You're going to only have two teams at each site, right? As DD points out, attendance will be a pretty big problem. Or would you do two sites, with two series at each?

by DakotaDomer  (2013-03-31 19:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My estimate for the attendance of a regional best of 3 series at a neutral site next week.

That estimate might well apply
by ShermanOaksND  (2013-03-31 20:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the Frozen Four. Who among UMass-Lowell, Yale, SCSU and Quinnipiac has any kind of fan base?

Lowell ranks 12th in attendance in the NCAA
by wearendhockey  (2013-03-31 23:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

averaging more fans per game than Notre Dame. And doesn't the FF typically sell out on the strength of people like our own Mr Wednesday, who attend annually regardless of participating teams? While tickets on the secondary market will be easier to come by this year than in most, the event is officially sold out.

I'm skeptical about how well they travel......
by BIGSKYND  (2013-04-01 17:01:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they don't seem to make it to Chestnut Hill, for example (and their games at BC tend to have available seats, unlike ours, BU's, or UNH's). As you point out, that's not a big part of what gets sold for the FF.

True, but they earned their way in this year *
by DakotaDomer  (2013-03-31 23:14:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure about an eight team field, but
by NH74Domer  (2013-03-31 11:05:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there is a lot of merit to the thought of a two-out-of-three game series. The hockey playoffs are the only ones that I can think of that don't mirror the regular season format. Teams are conditioned to play series. The same in baseball. The NCAA baseball tournament carries that formula right to the College World Series. Hockey drops it at the conference semifinal stage.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.