Why does God hate Notre Dame men's sports? *
by God-Country-ND (2013-03-30 15:28:16)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Jackson's Rink ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

One and done formats are crapshoots..
by ndalberta  (2013-03-30 18:38:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is no more complicated than that.

Good point though. Why do women's sports outperform...
by thethinman  (2013-03-30 16:20:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

men's at ND. Maybe the women know that there is no professional athletic pot of gold at the end of four years and they put everything they got into their sports before they head out to assume their business careers.

Pretty much. College teams for most females are the peak
by chezhdchick  (2013-03-31 01:38:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of their careers, except for the very highest performers who go on to U.S. national teams (espcially soccer and basketball who participate in the Olympics and for soccer, the Women's World Cup). Maybe there are three to five current women's players who you'll still hear about after they graduate this year. Griner, Diggins, Delle Donne and a couple others. You'll probably see them in Rio in 2016. Most others will simply graduate. Maybe play overseas, or get real jobs in the business world.

For most women, the exposure they get in college sports is the most they'll ever get. Especially now with ESPNU, and all the cable sports. You can watch women's college lacrosse, soccer, basketball, gymnastics and volleyball on cable.

It isn't God. Look closer to home. There's something....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 15:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about the frigging culture of the place that means we have a lot of kids without the requisite hunger. We occasionally get some but, for example and as some of us keep harping here, when we've been a 1-seed in hockey we've blown goats. I'm not talking about tough, back and forth or grinding, 1-goal games decided late. I'm talking about stick-squeezing, confused-looking embarrassment from the opening faceoff.

Without playing the blame game I cannot help but think
by Pro V1x  (2013-03-30 21:16:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is something to this. Not necessarily hunger or culture but unconscious fear of failure.

As a player, coach, and teacher I have seen this on all levels, and to attempt to understand it I have done more study, research, and brain picking over a 50 year span than I care to admit.

There is a higher level in sport than just wanting to win or trying hard to win. There has to be talent, naturally, but I do not always see ND talent playing fearlessly. If you ever heard of an athlete who "lost his nerve" you know what I'm talking about. He/she still has all of the shots, speed, moves, whatever, but cannot pull them off in the clutch.

They are not playing in fear of their opponent physically but start second guessing their own performance. They are not playing fearlessly. They have unconsciously lost their nerve. It can happen to individuals, it can happen to teams.

With professional golfers I see it all of the time. Mainly they start trying to play golf score rather than golf. This leads to trying to play golf swing, again instead of golf. They get so mentally muscle bound they have a hard time hitting the ground with their hat. I've got a lot of examples of this happening to players from other sports also.

This syndrome can be overcome by most players with professional guidance. Other players just cannot work through it and have to quit playing and start teaching, or selling carpet or insurance.

I can remember when Darrell Griffith was playing with Louisville and had a hard time even hitting the structure with a foul shot. He could drive, pull up and make string music but was a basket case on the line. Dr. Stanley Frager, a known psychologist, started working with Darrell on some visualization things including hypnotism, and almost immediately he became a very good foul shooter without changing his shooting mechanics. Somehow he got Darrell to relax in his approach to shooting while he was standing alone in the spotlight.

I'm not going any further but I've posted before how Dr. Richard Coop helped me personally, and I only wish everyone who walks on any athletic field, court, rink or pool at ND could listen to his advice and incredible success stories. He has worked with many greats like Michael Jordan, Mia Hamm, Payne Stewart. Maybe with his gentile advice ND teams could overcome their physical (and mental) focal dystonia at clutch time.

Opinion.

Once again, 1-seeds suck
by DakotaDomer  (2013-03-30 19:02:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're 90% guaranteed to have more games than the team you're playing.

It blows

Not "culture's" fault
by oldbender  (2013-03-30 16:46:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really don't think the "culture" of Notre Dame is the reason why its teams haven't fared well in post season. Mainly, because most athletes aren't a part of ND's "culture", whatever that may be In todays college sports world the average athlete doesn't interact with their fellow students much outside of the classroom. I can remember back awhile when a kid I helped get to ND on an athletic scholarship told me he was really upset with his head coach because he had no time for anything, but his sport. He was vey happy when his coach was told by the administration to "ease up" on demands of his players after practice. I doubt that would happen today. I know the basketball team lifts at six a.m. in the summer. I doubt many fo their fellow students are even up at that time. ND students say they rarly see the athletes with the biggest outside profiles around the campus. Thats one reason why Skylar Diggins has so little support among her fellow students. I think ND athletic teams has its own culture and their own bonds and friendships. I don't know hockey so I certainly can't comment on prep or strategy. Obviously, the team didn't play up to its abilities. I do know ND has higly rated talent. I did feel the prep by the football and men's basketball teams for their big games was flawed and never expected either to do well. I think Kelly has already talked about some of things he woud change. If I were Mike Brey I would do a complete 180 the next time around. But "culture" didn't cause any of the teams to lose. Better oppostition and bad performances by one and all caused the losses.

. . . but the team that showed up at the 'Joe' was a very
by other_guy  (2013-03-30 16:32:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hard working team. They must have taken all their lunch buckets away this week . . . .

For FB, I agree. Here, I think success freaked them out. All
by 1NDGal  (2013-03-30 15:53:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jackson kept saying was "ya, we won CCHA, but we have to do MORE! Bigger!" and the pressure just crushed them.

The FB team walked into the stadium thinking they had it in the bag. Here, I think the team was paralyzed with fear.

What the shit are you talking about?!?
by Porpoiseboy  (2013-03-30 17:21:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were not paralyzed with fear. We missed going up 3-0 by a few unlucky breaks. One-and-done is a terrible, terrible format for hockey, and we fell victim to it, today. Anything can happen in one game of hockey. We got down, then a bit more down, then gave up two quick goals and we were fucked. But we did not lose this game because of fear, anything to do with fear, or any type of paralysis. We certainly got outplayed, today, but that's hockey.

He was right-Holy God, if that crushed their confidence...
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 16:08:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our recruiting is even worse than I thought. Frankly, he was probably trying to address a problem I've noticed about these teams, winning the CHA, and in particular beating Michigan to do it.

My coworker's son plays for SCSU. He's no hungrier than ND. *
by Mickey  (2013-03-30 15:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're talking bigger picture here - it's not just....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 15:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this team or this sport. And by the way I've seen it in hockey, but it cuts to other sports. I see too many kids whose "psyches" seem to head south with adversity. Hockey especially is a game of effort, work, and confidence, going to the dirty areas, blocking shots, etc. I'm not seeing it and there have been plenty of times in the past when I haven't seen it.

My concern is the degree of your comments...
by Mickey  (2013-03-31 18:04:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND lost one game of the last 10. If they couldn't handle adversity, they wouldn't have won the CCHA title in which they were not always the first team to score in those games. Hockey is different than some of the other sports where the backgrounds of these kids are relatively similar. The kids at ND are not all that different than the kids at SCSU, or many of the other teams. I think arguments could be made about abilities, etc. but losing these one-and-done games should not be overused sources of data to define who has heart or who is able to handle adversity.

My favorite response to this...Monk
by Grace91  (2013-03-30 15:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know he's no longer in charge but he changed ND, and not for the better. Yeah, I know, "it was better in my day" but I think that it is inarguable that the student body and thus the culture of the school is quite different than it once was. Over and over we are presented with evidence that winning is nice, but not that big a deal.

Might be part but I also think some of the blame....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 15:46:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

belongs to the overamped Notre Dame hype machine. Frankly, there are times when I want to say "step off the fucking pedal and lower the fucking volume". I think some of that publicity-driven crap filters down. The bad flip side is that I think it also juices the opposition.

They are already geared up for us in HE *
by NH74Domer  (2013-03-30 15:53:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sort of know about that, being in Beantown....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 16:05:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but my concern is more about the entitlement it filters down to our guys.

No doubt that factors in, but that always has been the case.
by Grace91  (2013-03-30 15:52:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We definitely should not add to it.

It's worse today with the Internet, Twitter, etc...
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 16:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

c. 1991 it wasn't 24-7, accessible everywhere on the planet. Even the tv coverage was a little lower key. These days, with NBC and the NBCSN, it's over the top. For one example only, I wasn't real pleased with the frigging NBCSN video focused on the Soldier Field game. We haven't yet fucking done anything to earn that kind of publicity-driven gimmick. Win an NC and show that you're a program worth that level of spin.

No disagreement. It would be interesting to see
by Grace91  (2013-03-30 16:05:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if the relative volume has increased as a percentage of the overall media noise. I completely agree that the undeserved hype should be kept to a minimum.

Good point - lots of unearned "glory" at ND
by ndoldtown  (2013-03-30 15:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

going back as far as our football contract.

There's a way to do that stuff without muscling....
by BIGSKYND  (2013-03-30 15:52:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it in everywhere 24-7. They don't know how to pull back on the reins. If some guy takes a piss in a monogrammed urinal, there's a fucking press release - if not a presser. And we wonder why the Manti thing was an H-Bomb when it blew up.

It's uncanny.
by ndoldtown  (2013-03-30 15:29:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You would think just out of percentages or dumb luck we would not get humiliated in the postseason of every sport every men's sport every time we have high hopes.

I think she's just indifferent *
by ShermanOaksND  (2013-03-30 15:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw that. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-03-31 00:53:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.