Lack of deep institutional commitment.
by FourLeafDomer (2014-12-05 15:37:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Our biggest advantage is our name and tradition  posted by ShermanOaksND

What do you mean by that?

What does deep institutional commitment look like?

"Striving for national championships"
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-05 15:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be ludicrous to think that ND had winning national championships anywhere on the radar screen when it hired Davie and Willingham. Nor do I believe such aspirations were paramount when ND hired Weis and Kelly. Those points will do for starters; I have to leave for an appellate argument now.

How was the institutional commitment different in Holtz era?
by rockmcd  (2014-12-05 16:26:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We know that Holtz was a great coach. What were the institional differences between then and now that helped him to succeed?

The commitment declined during Holtz's era
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-05 18:34:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The impact became clear in 1994. The administration overreacted to criticisms of incidents such as tunnel fights with Miami in 1988 and USC in 1989, and started reining in Holtz soon thereafter. Ultimately, ND forced Holtz out altogether and replaced him with an assistant who had no realistic hope of leading ND to a national championship.

Jenkins has been an improvement over Malloy, but we're not back to where we were under Hesburgh.

I think it might be simpler than that.
by GMatous  (2014-12-05 19:30:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe nobody in the administration or athletic department knows how to determine who would excel and how to recruit that person.

I think personally somebody like you ( I mean that sincerely) would do a way better job. You know the exact criteria, significant head coaching experience at the NFL or power conference level and coaching philosophy that is mandatory here to excel.

Thanks. What changes still have not been undone?
by rockmcd  (2014-12-05 18:56:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Were the academic entrance requirements looser under Holtz 1986-1993 than they are today?

Was the academic load once they got to ND looser from 1986-1993 than it is today?

Did ResLife run a looser ship with athletes from 1986-1993 than it does today?

Would Holtz's players from 1986-1993 have been suspended for the same shenanigans that kept those 5 guys off the field this season?

Anything else?

I know there are some things today that show more commitment than 1986-1993, such as training table and the Gug. But those things might be a wash if all the other schools have improved in those areas as well.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.