Counter points
by Holtz (2014-12-05 12:39:37)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Couple of points ....  posted by NDBob

1. It's really hard to go undefeated anywhere. While Cincinnati's competition isn't as tough as ND's they aren't able to get ND-caliber recruits either. Going 12-0 is a great accomplishment. Also their schedule that year is pretty similar to what FSU has faced this year (linked).

2. The second half of this season and the instances you list were very poor. I agree that without the 2012 result, Kelly would be on the chopping block. As it stands, he has earned another year.

Remember how BC handled Jagosinsk i(sp) flirting?
by baydog  (2014-12-05 12:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Checking out his status with other teams got him fired immediately. After the wholly unprepared humiliation we suffered against a well-prepared Alabama team---that knew every play we were running from the line of scrimmage---I would think Kelly deserved the same treatment---and if ND knew he was flirting with the NFL That's what I take from the 2012 smoke and mirrors 2012 season.

So 2012 is now "smoke & mirrors" like 2002. Too funny.
by rockmcd  (2014-12-05 13:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If that's true, then you are calling out a whole lot of posters on this board who swore that this undefeated run was different. There seemed to be universal agreement on that point.

I don't know how you can have it both ways. If we were all just a bunch of gullible sheep then, what makes us so wise now?

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a coach credit for his successes while criticizing his failings. It's disingenuous for people to give credit to everything except the HC for 2009 and 2012 (Big East doesn't count, weak schedule, lucky breaks, credit belonged to the defense, not the offensive minded HC, yada yada yada), while giving blame to nobody but the HC this year. Just be consistent.

Why is it so painful to say that Kelly did a great coaching job in 2009 and 2012, but a shitty job in the other years, therefore deserves to be on the hotseat heading into 2015? If every 3rd year seems to be his thing then we'll all be pleasantly surprised. If not, then we'll have a new coach.

2012 was a great season with a terrible finish. 2014 was a
by 1978Irish  (2014-12-05 13:51:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great start to a season with a horrible finish.

It is hard to understand how Kelly can have teams perform so differently over a short period of time. Injuries and better opposition account for some of 2014, but not all of it.

If ND gets healthy and players don't transfer and stay eligible, 2015 could be a great year.

Still, losing 9 games in his 4th and 5th seasons is a huge black eye for an ND coach. The fact that the teams were not deep enough to overcome injuries and suspensions shows that Kelly is not recruiting well enough and not retaining enough players or developing players.

This isn't the NFL. There are not general managers to blame for not drafting well. He gets the players and develops them and puts them in the positions that he wants. It is all on Kelly.

Sounds reasonable on the whole except the every 3rd
by 2ndstreeter  (2014-12-05 13:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year thing. Not sure you meant this, but I'm not going to be overjoyed about a coach that can have a really good to great(winning the bowl game as well makes it great) year every so often with crap sandwiched in between. That's a hypothetical that's hard to imagine really happening, though.

I agree. Just meant he needs that to make it to 2016.
by rockmcd  (2014-12-05 13:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Davie was an every 2nd year kind of guy, but by the 3rd shitty odd-numbered year, that bit got old. To survive that kind of pattern, you have to be like my SF Giants and do better than just go 10-2 and lose your bowl game.

Your Giants have it goin on
by 2ndstreeter  (2014-12-05 14:09:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My Cubs....well maybe some day

Just like Stacy's mom. *
by rockmcd  (2014-12-05 19:00:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BC's situation was totally different than ours
by Goirish12  (2014-12-05 12:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jag interviewed for an NFL job even after BC told him not to.

Swarbrick should have told him and the Eagles to
by cujays96  (2014-12-05 13:37:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shit in a hat.

This board would have gone
by Holtz  (2014-12-05 14:04:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

full re...dacted if Swarbrick fired Kelly after 2012 because he interviewed with the Eagles.

I didn't say fired. Sherman covered your use of the R word. *
by cujays96  (2014-12-05 14:17:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, don't you ever use the "R" word again
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-05 14:14:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second, the board would've been split over such a decision, along the usual lines (Kellylovers vs. haters/doubters/agnostics).

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.