Recruiting is about building relationships...
by BigNDfan (2014-12-05 11:48:39)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: "one of the best recruiters in the country"  posted by ACross

Alford is one of the best in the country at doing it. And he does it in the talent rich state of Florida.

I've never said anything about ND's overall recruiting under Kelly.

Alford is considered one of the best in the country. He's the best recruiter on the staff.

In your lifetime, Notre Dame is never going to sign 5-10 Jaylon Smiths in a year.

And I agree, they haven't signed enough elite talent. That doesn't take away from Alford who has a specific region of the country and is the RB coach.

Vinny Cerrato was the best RC in the country. To the tune of
by NDRich  (2014-12-05 22:59:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

40 something players in the NFL which kept ND at number 1 or 2 in the NFL for a long time.

I believe that every starting OL for Joe Moore made an NFL opening day roster. So many of us have seen 5 plus Jaylon Smiths in 1 class.

Alford holds the staff title of "Recruiting Coordinator". I
by cj  (2014-12-05 12:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

believe his responsibilities are also national.

I used to see Polian on the southern cal trail along with Weis.

I have no idea who covers this area under Kelly...

LaFleur covers SoCal.
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 12:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As the recruiting coordinator, Alford does initiate some contact, but he's not flying across the country to help recruit non-RBs.

Weis would arrive when Polian needed heavy lifting.
by cj  (2014-12-05 12:08:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm guessing Kelly does the same.

I haven't heard a peep about LaFleur's whereabouts.

In the "weis recruiting era" it was big news when ND was in town and on the sidelines...

Polian did a terrific job for us...

I'm pretty convinced that Polian is going to keep moving up
by irishrock  (2014-12-05 12:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the coaching ranks. He has paid his dues and built up a solid coaching resume. NV was a solid spot for him. He'll be at an elite spot in the next 5-7 years.

Polian used to take a lot of crap on this board.
by tusk  (2014-12-05 13:47:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least he did from certain posters (I think we all know who at least some of them are) who thought that he was so incompetent that Weis must have kept him on his staff to maintain a relationship with Polian's father. I always thought the criticsm (or at least the extreme criticism) was unfair for a couple reasons. First, a fish rots from the head. Often, otherwise good assistant coaches look bad because of a bad head coach; it was difficult to evaluate how good Weis's assistants were given Weis's own deficiencies, and as someone pointed out yesterday, some aasistants who didn't look so good under Davie did a pretty good job under Meyer. Second, even if Polian wasn't a very good coach, he was a good recruiter (think, for example, Manti), which may very well have been reason enough to keep him on the staff (or, at least, a reason that was not nepotism). Anyhow, it's good to hear that Polian is doing well.

He was 29 years old when he started at ND
by irishrock  (2014-12-05 17:19:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was young, inexperienced, and didn't know anything. Hell yeah, he was hired as a favor to his dad. He also ate a lot of $*&^ from Weis, but took it and became better over time.

He then went to Stanford, and I think he had a stint at TX A&M. Solid names on his resume...but did he learn anything? That will be the true determinant on whether he will be successful or not.

I'm cheering for the guy.

Weis handled the Te'o recruitment almost exclusively....
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 13:50:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Polian obviously played a role though.

Polian was a good recruiter - definitely.

I don't believe this to be true
by irishrock  (2014-12-05 14:51:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is my understanding that Polian flew to Hawaii every week for almost three months to view Te'o games. I read an article to the effect that the Chicago United flight attendants said, "Coach, we gonna get this guy or what?" to Polian every week.

Certainly Weis recruited him hard, but to say exclusively is a mistake.

He's as down to earth or as sophisticated as the situation
by cj  (2014-12-05 12:29:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

warrants. I wish more ND people could've met him.

I agree with your assessment that he'll continue to build.

He's extremely smart.

emotional intelligence *
by sdalenberg  (2014-12-05 19:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Polian (link)
by cj  (2014-12-05 20:20:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You might want to do your homework about the 1993 class. *
by ACross  (2014-12-05 11:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I meant to say "again"
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 12:00:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you think ND will ever be Alabama?

You named two schools - USC and Alabama who are football factories. Unless ND goes down that path, it's never happening.

Notre Dame would go toe to toe with teams like Alabama
by ACross  (2014-12-05 12:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we had a premier coach and a championship program. None of oversigning/overstaffing/overspending by Alabama should daunt ND. Assuming ND was not helmed by Faust/Davie/Willingham/Weis/Kelly/Fitzgerald/Martin.

Agree, we competed with everyone under Weis at first
by mmetzger  (2014-12-05 15:48:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Win a few games, get people excited, and ND can recruit with anyone. Unfortunately we haven't had a coach who could develop them or coach them to big wins since Holtz.

I agree, if ND gets Meyer or Saban...
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 13:22:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is that those coaches don't want to coach under NDs limitations.

But a few posts below you quote
by Ccndbound  (2014-12-05 14:47:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer that ND is his dream job and you think he wants to come here....

I think he does, but it's also about timing...
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 15:04:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer may be content towards the end of his career because he's already won big. He rightfully chose Florida back in the day because they were set up to win.

That said, I don't think he does anything before his son is out of high school. Will that line up with an ND coaching change? Doubtful.

Timing shouldn't mater if it was truly a dream job
by Ccndbound  (2014-12-05 17:02:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clearly he said that for leverage in negotiations with other schools. If someone offered you your dream job, you would take it without regards to timing. Otherwise the words "dream job" ring hollow.

Eh, maybe
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2014-12-05 13:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alabama and SC (and FSU and UGA and LSU and Texas) are just closer to a lot of the country's best talent. ND's nearby talent pool has depleted over the past 2-3 decades, and will only continue to do so. Some kids (and their families) just don't want to go to school 1,000 (or more) miles away.

We should, undeniably, have classes that are as good or better than Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, PSU, Oregon, Tennessee, etc.

I don't put a lot of weight on geography
by ACross  (2014-12-05 13:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many of ND's best players have been from CA, the West coast, TX, and the South, as well as the northeast and the mid-atlantic.

Phil Carter, Steve Beuerlein, Mike Stonebreaker, Allen Pinkett, Tim Brown, Tom Carter, Tony Rice, Jimmy Clausen, Jeff Burris, Kory Minor, Jimmy Friday, Manti T'eo, Stephon Tuitt, Cedric Hilliard, the list goes on and on. We've never leaned on regional identity or even a regional pipeline.

Well, a lot of the kids we're recruiting do
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2014-12-05 14:55:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A significant percentage of recruits from Florida, Texas, and California eliminate ND because of its distance, and, instead, look to the schools close by.

You're right - many of ND's best players from the past 30 years have come from far off places. And, really, that proves my point: unlike SC, Bama, and Miami, ND has to convince the country's best players - and their families - to spend 4 years at a place that's a 12-hour drive, or a 4-hour plane ride, away.

And while we cherry-picked some great players from Texas, S. Carolina, California, etc. in Holtz's years, we also had a huge chunk of talent, and really, each class's foundation, coming from relatively nearby, northern cities and states: from high schools in Chicago (Oliver Gibson, Pete Bercich, Bryant Young, Zorich), Michigan (Jerome Bettis, Randy Kinder), Ohio (Marc Edwards), Pennsylvania (Ray Zellars, Rocket, Ricky Watters, Powlus), Wisconsin (Flanigan), New Jersey (Irv Smith), and Indiana (Mirer, Derrick Mayes).

There just aren't as many good players in those states anymore. Populations have shifted. Participation is down. Some schools and programs have shuttered. Now, there are fewer and fewer Jaylon Smiths within a 6 hour drive of South Bend.

it wasn't just the Holtz years. It started with Ara.
by ACross  (2014-12-05 16:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I reject the Tex Francisco theory of football demographics. Since the 1970s we've criss crossed the country for players. From Phoenix to Portland to Seattle to Denver to Florida, VA and the Carolinas, Texas, Louisiana, both Carolinas, Georgia, and the Tidewater.

it's not 1988 anymore, Moff *
by jt  (2014-12-05 17:18:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can reject it all you want
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2014-12-05 17:14:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it's real.

The WPIAL used to be one of the 4-5 most fertile recruiting spots in the country. Now, it produces 1-2 Top 250 players a year (if that).

We always have and always will get great players from across the country. But now, more and more of the top kids in the country are in the South and West.

That's just a load of bunk.
by ACross  (2014-12-05 17:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND has always pulled its regular students and its athletes from across the country. It will continue to do so. and if we get a great coach, recruiting will take care of itself.

I never disputed those points
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2014-12-05 18:10:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I disputed that ND could out recruit the SC and Bama-like football factories (who've put together 4-5 consecutive #1 classes in the last decade) when they're at the height of their powers b/c they are now closer to the majority of the country's talent.

We can and should (with the right coach) be able to pull enough talent to win championships (top 10 classes). That will never change

Actually, there are probably more good players in Indiana.
by tusk  (2014-12-05 16:48:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In particular, there are more good players in the Indianapolis area. The Colts' presence has really caused a resurgence in HS football in Indy.

As for the other states, I agree. And even though Indiana is producing more good players, there aren't enough to be the foundation of a top 10 program.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.