Tankless
by RJD (2014-12-05 11:10:13)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: You're in the tank for Kelly  posted by Hanratty5ND

First, reply to his post. My guess is that many of us would be surprised if ND lost 4 next year with the defense maturing and a few key players returning from suspensions.

The schedule also looks a little weaker. You don't have to be in the tank for Kelly based on the returning roster. I certainly wasn't happy with Kelly's game plan against USC but he is set up to make a last stand a little better than Custer or F Troop.

Second, Kelly has had two undefeated FBS regular seasons within the past 6-7 years. How many other current head coaches have two anomalies on their record?

Oh, that's right. The Big East doesn't count.

If Kelly had integrity, he would've coached that BCS game.
by Jurassic  (2014-12-05 11:47:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I posit that Kelly knew he was outmatched and took the easy road. It's what he's done since being at ND. The outcome would've have been the same.

I'd be surprised if ND had fewer than 4 losses next season. Not including a bowl.

Are there examples of departing coaches in bowl games?
by irishaddict  (2014-12-05 12:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't think of any. I doubt Cincy wanted him to coach the bowl game. It's the way the world works.

Are there any examples of not coaching a BCS Bowl Game?
by Jurassic  (2014-12-05 12:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have no idea what Cincy wanted?

Rodriguez at WVU did not coach against OU n the Fiesta Bowl *
by irishaddict  (2014-12-05 12:59:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't that a situation where the AD wanted him gone?
by Jurassic  (2014-12-05 13:41:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could be wrong.

I think you bear the burden of proof here
by Irishaddict  (2014-12-05 13:54:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's extremely unusual for a coach departing for another school to coach a bowl game. Claiming that something is standard operating procedure demonstrates a character flaw requires some proof on your part.

Maybe, but avoidance
by Jurassic  (2014-12-05 14:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is something Kelly excels at. It's his MO.

It's funny that the view is he lacks integrity....
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 15:07:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because the assumption is he thought he'd lose the BCS game. And then this year we have posters furious that we won't decline a bowl bid because we fear we'll lose.....

They oppose a bowl because it's undeserved and serves no
by tdiddy07  (2014-12-05 16:16:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

purpose. One reason it serves no purpose is we'll lose if it's a team that is mediocre but doesn't suck too bad. But another reason it serves no purpose is if it's a team that stinks, it'll serve no purpose to beat a shitty team in a meaningless exhibition. Beating good teams in bowls is a meaningful challenge of an exhibition and has purpose.

Alvarez in Wisconsin's Rose Bowl when Bielema left for Ark. *
by SavageDragon  (2014-12-05 12:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. But Bielema blew up that bridge with Alvarez.
by Jurassic  (2014-12-05 13:33:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Staying wasn't an option. There's a good argument that the coach who got Cincy to a BCS Bowl would be given the opportunity to coach in that game. Unless said coach was not held in favorable circumstances with their AD. Knowing Kelly's politicking and his lack of accouNtability at ND, I guess this could be another valid reason.

It doesn't seem like coaches ever coach the bowl game..
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 12:03:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it would be odd to stay on.

Tank
by Hanratty5ND  (2014-12-05 11:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're in it too. That's fine. Kelly needs a little love right now.

--I did reply to his post as well as other other posts. You have to be able to read.
If you can tell me how to post,I can tell you how to read.

-- Kelly has lost 4+ games in 4/5 years at ND. Not sure why you or anyone would be shocked if they repeated that in 2015. I think you put too much into the schedule/returners rather than the coaching...or lack thereof.

-- What Kelly did at Cincy is of no consequence to ND. That 12-0 or whatever he had in the Big East has no meaning at all to what he has done at ND. So yes--it doesn't count. Kelly has one anomaly on his ND record. Not likely to be repeated anytime soon.

Tony Alford - who would replace Tony Alford...
by BigNDfan  (2014-12-05 11:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is the topic.

Brian Kelly is here in 2015. Who is the running back coach? Who is recruiting Florida?

See my Q above *
by Hanratty5ND  (2014-12-05 11:49:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plus, Clausen looked great in the bowl game
by jt  (2014-12-05 11:32:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No way this team loses 4 games next year! Weis is a Notre Dame man and we need to save this recruiting class!

I'll bet next year's schedule turns out to be about like
by WilfordBrimley  (2014-12-05 11:18:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year's schedule with probably one fewer mid-tier team.

if we fall on our face, RJD will be posting about the
by jt  (2014-12-05 11:33:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"murderer's row" schedule.

Pulled that one out of your ass
by RJD  (2014-12-05 13:42:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you just enjoy making up shit?

yeah, I just pulled that out of thin air
by jt  (2014-12-05 13:58:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's just so unfair how so many on here have pegged you, isn't it?

"What college coach would have two undefeated anomalies....
by Ty Webb  (2014-12-05 11:47:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in 7-8 years?"

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.