Back to the future
by Wass (2024-04-16 19:53:06)

In reply to: Proposed Super League slide leaked out...  posted by G.K.Chesterton

Those divisions looks like some of the conferences from when I was young. I envisioned the end game of "realignment" to be two super conferences of 24 to 36 teams, each "conference" divided into two divisions. The teams would be chosen to maximize TV revenue. It's no accident that the B1G went after Washington, Oregon, USC, and UCLA. They wanted the TV markets for the conference. That's why they want FSU - to get a Florida market. Travel cost isn't a factor because the TV revenue will easily cover it. This is for football only, of course, but screw the non-revenue sports, right? It's all about making money. I really don't like the 10 "add on" teams from G5 schools. I guess they change from year to year? What about the rest of the G5 schools? Oh, wait, they are mid-week filler time games for ESPN. Personally, I think the G5 conferences should tell the Power conferences to pound sand and break away from them. They should form their own group with some D2 conferences. It would give them a chance to play for a NC, but it won't happen because of the revenue they get playing Power Conference teams as well as mid-week games. I have no idea what the end game is, but I'm sure it won't be in the players best interests, nor anything we want, but the fans don't really figure in the equation.

Replies: