Not to mention early enrolling 2024 guys
by Wass (2024-04-16 19:26:44)

In reply to: our punter just went into the transfer portal  posted by jt

I can't say that I am shocked. It's as if some players are merely testing the waters by enrolling early. If they don't like their choice, screw it, jump in the portal. I imagine there are players who don't even bother enrolling early, they just jump in because they got cold feet or the NIL wasn't up to par. But the total lack of commitment is terrible. A lot of true freshmen jumping in, some of whom were big names in the last cucle. Cormani McClain (sp.), the top rated CB who went to CU, comes to mind. But then, more than a third of the CU team jumped in the portal already. I'm not sure Sanders' model of building a D1 football team is that sound, i.e. few freshman recruits from HS but a bucket load of transfers. In positions like OL, it shows, as none of the players ever for a real bond with the rest of the OL to make a cohesive unit. They've already had at least 10 OL/DL players jump in, some of which were starters. A&M is another team with a big turnover of players. Granted, they have a new coach, but they are losing some very talented young players. It seems like 15-20 players will be pretty typical for D1 programs to lose in the portal, and it looks even worse at other levels. But that genie is out of the bottle. While I'd rather build "old school" with HS recruits, all programs will have to go to the portal in some way even if just to plug holes in the roster.