Willingham does not belong in the same sentence as Freeman *
by Sdalenberg (2024-04-05 16:10:31)

In reply to: Events are conspiring for ND  posted by SEE

This user did not provide content for this post

And yet you just put him there. *
by Marine Domer  (2024-04-05 17:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That
by SEE  (2024-04-06 07:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was funny.

as much as I can't stand Davie and Kelly
by irishrock  (2024-04-05 17:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(and I get the animosity towards Weis, but I have met the guy on a number of occasions and like the guy) Willingham will stand out as the absolute worst HC of ND in my lifetime. That includes Faust who at least recruited quite well and brought in talent.

Willingham almost looks like a saboteur. Kelly is easily the biggest delta bravo of my lifetime, but Willingham was the worst HC. He never gave a shit about ND and it was apparent in his recruiting effort and results.

Could Weis have changed his overall trajectory as a head
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-04-07 11:13:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coach if he had not stayed with the Patriots through the Super Bowl in Feb. 2005? Would it have made a difference in his coaching staff? Or what if David Cutcliff did not have to have heart surgery and was able to coach quarterbacks from the beginning? Or if he decided not to install a new offense in fall camp going into 2007 and stuck with Sharpley as QB, and let Clausen progress as a back-up, learning the offense, etc? For all his arrogance and Jersey attitude, Weis was a very smart guy who knew what he was doing. We saw how well it went in 2005 (for the most part) with the players he inherited from Willingham (who frankly couldn't do anything with them). He maybe could have been a great coach had a few things started differently.

Weis
by NDFANOK57  (2024-04-12 15:26:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you talking about same guy who lost to pathetic teams like Uconn, 'Cuse, Navy

I think the gaps in the recruiting classes brought on by
by OldIrishFan  (2024-04-08 16:13:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Willingham ultimately doomed him. In 2007, we had 18-19 year olds playing against 22 year olds from other teams. His attempts to mask this with his schemes certainly didn’t help.

I just don't think it was meant to be
by irishrock  (2024-04-08 13:23:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weis is/was an OC...not a HC. He so badly wanted to be Parcells, but there is only one of him.

Weis just didn't know how to coach an entire team. I will say this...he was as unlucky as Kelly was lucky with regards to USC. Kelly got such a free pass for his record but the schedule was so watered down ALONG with the fact that USC was down during his tenure. Weis was 0-5...and a few of the games weren't even close

No, he lacked college coaching experience.
by rockmcd  (2024-04-07 14:28:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Behind the scenes of his highly ranked 2005 and 2006 seasons, there was very little player development going on. The highly rated Feb 2006 recruiting class didn't amount to jack diddly poo and got pushed around on both lines of scrimmage by the likes of UConn at the end of their senior year. I don't think anyone from that recruiting class got drafted higher than 6th round as I recall.

I thinking Cutcliffe’s illness was a big hindrance. The
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-07 13:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

experimentation with the offense and Demetrius Jones was just foolish. Weis should stuck with Sharpley and the original offense for at least the first half of 2007. After six games, maybe you give Claussen a shot, rather than throwing him to the wolves in AnnArbor week 2.

Full agreeance, and Charlie was always very gracious in
by Moff  (2024-04-06 13:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my encounters with him and especially as to my kids, even though he once kiddingly told them "Okay, now get lost" after taking a picture with them. He and they laughed at that.

Charlie was a complicated guy
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-04-08 17:47:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He seemed to almost have multiple personalities. There were situations where he was so nice and so kind, others where he was so unnecessarily abrasive and ungracious (bizarrely so).

What Charlie Weis did was work his ass off to restore Notre Dame as a relevant team on the national recruiting scene. I realize he turned out to be a failure as a coach, but he restored the belief we could recruit elite players (perception and reality). All you have to do is look who Ty beat out for his best recruits. Toledo, Ball State, BC, etc. Darius Walker was considered a colossal win—he was a 3-star!

I have no ill will toward him. He pulled us from the absolute gutter even if he was clearly incapable of doing more than that.

every time I think of Charlie Weis I have to smile
by jt  (2024-04-05 19:22:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because he reminds me of Private Pyle from "Full Metal Jacket" and this scene always makes me laugh.