Freeman has upgraded the talent with his recruiting efforts
by Jvan (2024-04-05 15:07:23)

In reply to: Good post, I hope you are right. An honest question ...  posted by DrunkenIrishPoet

SEE is correct in that the transfer portal has helped, but those spots must be recruited as well.

This year's team is loaded with talent and depth. It will go as far as the offensive line will allow.

One measure of recruiting is at quarterback. With CJ Carr in 2024, Deuce Knight in 2025 and either Brady Hart or Noah Grubbs in 2026, ND is in a great spot.

Another measure is the number of five star players. Freeman is not there yet. The SEC still dominates that area along with Ohio State. The question is whether we can win a championship with only modest success in this area.

I'd like to think it's possible. You need good coaching, chemistry, leadership and a quarterback. ND has all those things. I'm reminded of what Nick Saban, the king of five star recruiting, said in discussing his retirement. His wife asked him, "Why are we still doing this?". The question was prompted by the fact that five star players and recruits were less interested in how they were going to be developed than how much they were going to get paid.

Sure, Notre Dame has a good NIL program to compensate its players, but money is not the primary reason recruits come to South Bend. The best players aren't going to leave for a bigger payday. That's why Freeman should be able to build cohesive and competitive teams. The only area where the lack of five star players could hold him back (now that QB is fixed) is along the defensive line. Outstanding pass rushers and interior wrecking balls are one element that may always be lacking. This year we're using a deep rotation of high energy guys, but there are no NFL first rounders in that mix.

Replies: