entirely, I think
by jt (2024-04-05 09:48:25)

In reply to: Dissolve the NCAA entirely or just for FBS football? *  posted by 105Marquette

they're going BK.

What forms after that for all the sports is the biggest question, obviously.

ND cited as a model of staying conference in non-FB sports
by AraStopTheSnow  (2024-04-05 12:39:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Chip Kelly in a published quote in The Athletic. (Sorry if somebody else already mentioned this.)

Why would they dissolve the NCAA? Just re-write the bylaws.
by cujays96  (2024-04-05 11:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll still want some entity to tattle to on the other schools and act as a focal point for blame when they get it wrong.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't have oversight
by jt  (2024-04-05 12:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't think it would be the NCAA. I think that they'll need a new entity that hasn't constantly lost in court for decades. Trying to polish the turd, so to speak.

Perhaps they can call the new one, "the cartel formerly known as the NCAA."

There are 1100 member institutions
by gregmorrissey  (2024-04-05 10:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d be surprised if losing the top 50 or so would end it. Somebody still needs to regulate the other 1,050 and put together postseason tournaments.

NAIA still exists with a fraction of the revenue

Perhaps the statement needs amendment:
by Manorcal  (2024-04-05 12:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The N.C.A.A. as media rights cartel and piggy bank will soon disappear--it will be replaced for at least one money-generating sport. Whether it persists in its core role of organizing intercollegiate athletic competition for most sports remains to be seen."