Yup. Vinny, Pete Cordelli and George Stewart were with Lou
by Moff (2024-04-01 20:49:54)
Edited on 2024-04-01 20:54:50

In reply to: I didn't know he was at UM with Lou. My memory a bit Foggie *  posted by MrE

at Minn and came with him to ND at the very beginning. Coach Cordelli played QB for Lou at NC State and coached for him at Arkansas and Minn. Coach Stew played Offensive Linemen for Lou at Arkansas (and was an AA there) and coached OL at Minn. He then coached TEs at ND the first two years. Tony Yelovich came over from Stanford to coach the OL at ND under Lou, solo for the first two years. Mike Stock had returned to ND to Coach under Gerry and stayed on that first year with Lou coaching RBs.

On Defense, Foge came over from being Head Coach at Pitt to coach MLBs and be DC. Kurt Schottenheimer coached the OLBs in 1986. Joe Yonto was brought back by Lou to coach DL and George Kelly became Lou's right hand man in running the FB program. Terry Forbes coached DBs the first two years.

For 1987, Jim Strong moved down from Minn (having coached for Lou there) and took over for Mike Stock who I believe went to NFL. Barry Alvarez came over from Iowa for the 1987 season and took over for Coach Schott at OLB when Kurt joined his brother Marty in the NFL. In 1988, John Palermo came down from Minnesota to coach DL, having coached under Lou there. Joe Moore joined the staff for 1988 and he and Tony Yelovich split OL duties, with Coach Yelo coaching Cs and Gs, and Moore coaching Ts and TEs. Coach Stew then moved to OLBs/DEs, because Barry Alvarez moved to ILBs and DC for the 1988 season. Chuck Heater came over from Ohio State in 1988 to coach the DBs. And the rest is history.