NFL going to vote on proposals to change the kickoff
by jt (2024-03-03 14:44:40)

basically should look similar to what the XFL did last year--kickers on one side of the field, everyone else on the other side (kicking team on the 40, receiving team on the 35, I think) with one returner, and contact cannot be initiated until the ball is caught. Touchbacks go to the 35, but if a ball lands in the field of play and rolls into the end zone, it goes to the 20. Definite attempt to bring the return game back into play.

Onside kicks can only be attempted in the 4th quarter and it has to be declared prior to the play (no surprise onsides, basically). I believe they're also looking into allowing unbalanced sides on the onside kick (6 on one side) in a way to give the kicking team a better chance at recovery. I'm not sure if they'll allow the "run up" or if the kicking team needs to stand on the line like they do now.

This is in the name of player safety as well as making the return game a bigger part of the game. I hope that college football embraces some of these changes as well. Kickoffs are extremely dangerous plays that have a very high rate (relatively speaking) of injury.

Replies: