Hey you guys are catching up!
by airborneirish (2024-02-26 12:58:46)

In reply to: One solution, very unpalatable for long term fans,...  posted by Kbyrnes

Remember when I said “this will inevitably lead to the Harvard patriots” and really deep thinkers called me crazy?

Guess what? They’re wrong and I’m right. As usual.

I've been saying this for years...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-27 19:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...As you recall, my grad school alma mater is famous in college football circles for abandoning the varsity/scholarship model in 1939. One of my favorite SI articles is the one by Hutchins in 1951 where he laid all that was wrong with college football out for all to see.

I’m serious. The top 25 schools do not have these revenue
by airborneirish  (2024-02-27 20:45:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Streams. This shit is already in UBIT territory (unrelated business income tax).

The second whatever you proposed happens it will behoove the ivys to say “hold my Cabernet” and start buying pro teams. There will also be litigation. This is the most dimwitted meat headed way to go and it’s sad there are intelligent posters on here who can’t see further than this step in the downfall of college football.

I would prefer that ND take the off ramp
by ACross  (2024-02-26 20:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Call it, for instance, the NCAA. Let the revenue addicts and southern rednecks take their ball and play elsewhere.

everyone will be taking the off ramp soon enough
by jt  (2024-02-27 20:45:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's just a matter of where the exit leads.

We won’t and it’s a shame. Our die was cast with crossroads *
by airborneirish  (2024-02-26 21:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i think it depends
by crazychester  (2024-02-27 22:01:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on what the bifurcation looks like.

Its not like Nd borrowed to build crossroads. They are in the middle of a $10B capital campaign. They'd be entirely fine without big money college football.

but would they be fine with being "entirely fine?"
by jt  (2024-02-28 12:43:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know.

You're probably right in that it depends on the circumstances, but I can pretty much see ways to justify just about anything.

"When your values are clear, your decisions are easy." Roy Disney

I think lots of people have worried about that possibility. *
by VaDblDmr  (2024-02-26 13:16:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post