Don’t feel bad for LSU - unlike ND, once they realize their
by boomer80 (2021-12-03 22:58:32)

mistake they will quickly correct it. QUICKLY.

I bear no ill will against LSU or their football program
by wearendhockey  (2021-12-04 10:06:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I'm going to enjoy watching them lose as long as Kelly is there as much as I enjoy watching Michigan lose.

I was thinking LSU bought a pig in a poke.
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2021-12-04 08:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they just got the pig.

I wish that Michigan would have hired Kelly instead
by ndhouston  (2021-12-04 03:35:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My dad taught at a branch of LSU for 20+ years. I went to high school down there and my parents still live there.

LSU elicits a different statewide loyalty than most places, and it goes all the way back to Huey Long's involvement in the university and the football program. Huey used the pull of LSU football to unify the state, and that still matters, even almost 100 years later.

Notre Dame was far nicer to Brian Kelly than LSU will be. Tiger fans are absolutely rabid about their team, and they aren't going to put up with Kelly's crap for more than two years. He's not the coach that Saban is; and he's not the recruiter that Saban, Miles, and Orgeron were/are. This is going to get really ugly really fast in Baton Rouge, and, to the OP's original point, LSU will do what it takes to protect their football program.

I feel sorry for them. I have a profound soft spot for LSU.
by Gort  (2021-12-04 00:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wanted Kelly gone for over a decade. LSU paid almost $100M to make my wish come true. I don't want to see them suffer long. They're angels.

Contract does not favor that result. More heads than ...
by Rocksteady74  (2021-12-03 23:09:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... Kelly's would roll.

His contract is a fifth of their endowment *
by GoldenBlues  (2021-12-03 23:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's only 8 months of revenue from their athletic dept.
by sb  (2021-12-03 23:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LSU will be just fine even when they do end up eating most of that contract.

Where are they getting this cash? Who are their well heeled
by Gpnd03  (2021-12-03 23:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Donors or industries?

He’ll be paid by the tax payers
by Son of Galway  (2021-12-03 23:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

College football is so out of hand that the highest paid public employee in multiple states is a college football coach.

Public athletic departments aren't taxpayer funded
by StetsonDan  (2021-12-04 07:27:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get that money is fungible so money paid by the state to LSU's operating budget as a whole is less money that needs to be donated. Still, unless LSU is different from every other power 5 public university, then the athletic department does not rely on public financing.

They’re on the hook for at least 90 mill. Even if they fire
by athlete37  (2021-12-03 23:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

him tomorrow. Unless they find cause

That’s his rate. Even if he does a crappy job, they gotta
by Mr.natural  (2021-12-04 10:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pay him his 95mil.

Oh, Coach Crashmore.

What if he goes missing?
by NDBass  (2021-12-04 01:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's more than one body in the Louisiana bayous.

Courtesy of Sherriff John Brady and Deputy Hedge? *
by The Holtz Room  (2021-12-04 01:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does a bad Southern accent count as cause? *
by Blue Duck  (2021-12-04 00:07:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn’t Kansas fire Miles for cause
by DillonFightSong  (2021-12-03 23:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because of something that happened while he was at LSU?

Not that anyone at ND would have anything to spill about Kelly.