Let’s cut the crap.
by Bruno95 (2019-11-30 11:55:41)
Edited on 2019-11-30 12:02:35

The following other active college coaches could win ten games against this schedule, assuming they work at least as hard as Kelly in recruiting and fielded a comparable roster:

Day
Orgeron
Swinney
Whittingham
Smart
Saban
Riley
Rhule
Harbaugh
Ferentz
Malzahn
Fleck
Dantonio
Shaw
Chryst
Petersen
Patterson
Fisher
Leach
Franklin
Norvell
Klieman
Harsin
Cristobal
Niumatalolo
Dykes
Mendenhall
Campbell
Gundy
Mullen

Meyer and some NFL guys might be able to pull it off, as well.

No, not all are “available”. Dabo and Saban are not.

No, not all are fits at ND. Fisher and Fleck are not.

No, not all are better than Kelly. Kelly is a fine coach. Probably better than a handful of these guys. But among decent coaches — and that list is not short — he is just one of the guys. If he stays, so be it. Shitcan Long and maybe improve a bit.

If he leaves, farewell. In this relationship, only one party is fungible, and it ain’t fucking us.

No crap. I get your opinion. Many coaches could win 10 games
by ProV1x  (2019-11-30 20:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against the current Irish type schedules with their own recruits. But the coaches on the list aren't at Notre Dame, they're busting their asses at their own jobs. A bird in hand beats two in the bush the way I look at it. Your second sentence from the bottom is very wise Mr. Bruno. One can starve with a sandwich in his pocket as he stands outside looking in the store window or he can make the best of what he has.

So....cutting the crap with extreme prejudice... and
by 21TAS  (2019-11-30 20:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reading and rereading your post, again and again, looking for nuance...

it seems like you are OK with Kelly for the lack of a better alternative.

Only thing I take exception to is - fungibleness - I think we are all fungible on this Board.

About 98% fungible. But we all have 2% nonfungible genes. *
by The Flash  (2019-12-03 12:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What is your opinion of Tom Herman? *
by The Flash  (2019-11-30 15:51:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would disagree with a number of them.
by 84david  (2019-11-30 15:08:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Several of your names have much worse scheds than ND
and worse records.

Bruno's post was very clear. It's also clear you didn't get
by airborneirish  (2019-11-30 16:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it. Read it again.

And they’re at much worse programs.
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 15:30:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don’t have the brand, prestige, facilities, institutional support, talent, fanbase, recruiting ability, etc., that ND does. Why don’t people understand this? It’s harder to win at nearly every other university than it is at Notre Dame. There are only about 5 out there that are easier (and Clemson’s NOT one of them).

I believe Bruno is saying ...
by Seamus  (2019-11-30 15:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if these coaches were at the Irish helm, they would do as well or better than our puffy jacketed offensive genius.

kelly went 4-8, needed 2 lower tier bowl wins to reach 8-5,
by cj  (2019-11-30 14:28:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and one season he went 9-4 on the strength of a Pinstripe Bowl win. His third 8-5 season was cemented by a Champs Bowl loss. Interestingly, "notes" needed to be added to kelly's historical ND accomplishments. His 9-4 season reads, "record adjusted to 0-4 by the NCAA". His 12-1 season reads, "record adjusted to 0-1 by the NCAA". He has had 2 top 10 finishes in 10 years. One of those seasons was vacated by the NCAA.
He has made 3 major bowls in 10 years. (30%)
He got murdered in all 3 as his mind was on future employment and he sucks.
weis made 2 major bowls in 5 years. (40%)
weis was a "bushpush" from NC game consideration...
In 4 of the 8 years not pummeled by the NCAA kelly won 4,8,8,8 games. (Again, 2 of those 8 win seasons were attained with crappy bowl wins.)

He is clueless and classless...

He is a Notre Dame football leech.

Any coach with a top 5 win has more upside
by Btd  (2019-11-30 13:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They may also have more downside, but if I told you Kelly went 8-5 every year and 13-0 in 2012 and 14-0 in 2018 with two titles we all would have taken that v consistently 10-2 or 11-2.

Kelly has a ceiling others don’t have because he won’t adapt his offense.

I don’t understand your point.
by thewagon  (2019-11-30 13:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anyone “could” win 10 games once. Are you talking consistently? If so your list is brutal.

Point is that 10-2 against this schedule is nothing special *
by Scoop80  (2019-11-30 13:48:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of those coaches at Notre Dame...
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 13:19:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would win 10 games consistently, with 13 games (including bowl), 5 ACC games, etc. Key words being “at Notre Dame” (aka the best program of all time).

Erstwhile
by captaineclectic  (2019-11-30 13:31:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The erstwhile best program of all time. Alabama is now the best program of all time. They have more wins than us, are tied in winning percentage, and had eclipsed us in titles.

We blew it.

Fair. *
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 13:54:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some yes, most no
by thewagon  (2019-11-30 13:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People have selective and short memories apparently. Could easily blow up at least 2/3 of this list, but not worth the time. Petersen can’t even consistently win 10 games in the pac12 despite a talent advantage over most teams he plays. Yes Coach O is having a good year but let’s completely disregard his head coaching record prior to this year.

Do “selective and short memories” remember 4-8 2016?
by skeptic  (2019-11-30 14:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is also the whole of his record, including no wins in 2012.

There was a reboot.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-30 14:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only 2012 survived. But not the sanction that vacated those wins.

Most would.
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 13:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Washington is a good program. It’s not Notre Dame. Willingham went 21-15 at ND. He went 11-37 at Washington. Petersen won 10 games each of the previous three years. I have no doubt he’d consistently (doesn’t mean “always”) win 10+ at ND.

Orgeron does seem changed, so hard to tell. He really seems to need great coordinators. He’s also consistently played really tough schedules, though. I’m inclined to agree with you, though, on him. Regardless, I said “most”, not “all” and I stand by that.

First off, Kelly hasn’t “consistently” won 10 games.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-30 13:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second, I didn’t say those coaches would consistently win ten games at ND. Read the posted words. I carefully chose them, so carefully read them. I said those coaches would win ten games “against this schedule”, with comparable talent to the current ND roster.

I then said they’re not all better than Kelly.

The point is that there’s nothing special or distinct about this record. That should be a baseline, and instead of people being happy with it, they should seek to build from there. Sure, you might catch a bad break here or there and not hit ten. But it shouldn’t happen often. 36 losses in ten years is not the mark of any program I’d call elite.

he should create a different list.
by MrE  (2019-11-30 13:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Coaches who would never, ever go worse than 7-5 at ND with the 2016 roster and schedule."

The list would be 3x as large as the OP's list.

Meyer: “Winning 10 games: is that really good enough?
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 12:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The answer’s no.”

He said it on Fox’s pregame show, referring to Harbaugh and his lack of success against Ohio State.

Would be nice if that was the same answer for ND in regards to lack of major bowl wins or being semi-competitive against top teams.

He'll fire Long and replace him with Quinn or Rees.
by irish2x  (2019-11-30 12:14:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has zero incentive to be ambitious at this point.

You jest...but it's not much of an exaggeration
by carroll2005  (2019-11-30 12:26:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially if the rumors are true that he wants to coach another 3-5 and then retire. He's fucking coasting at this point. If he has to replace coordinators it will be with the lowest of low hanging fruit. Recruiting will become even less ambitious.

It's a nightmare.

Faust “could” win ten games
by SEE  (2019-11-30 12:13:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn’t the list “great hires”?

Which of those coaches is likely to make the playoffs?

1/2 to 3/4 are likely to twice in ten seasons. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-11-30 15:44:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One step at a time.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-30 12:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Step 1: realize what we have.

Step 2: determine what we need.

You’ve never been rude to me, and I’m not going to be rude to you. I just ask that we separate the two steps.

No argument on #1 *
by SEE  (2019-11-30 13:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doubtful ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-30 12:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was a high school coach and glorified lunch monitor whose "schemes" resembled that crap Nixon once drew up for Washington - period. I doubt even Swarbrick could construct that schedule without a nice dose of FCS. And I wouldn't want Fuzzy matched up doing X's and O's against the better guys at that level,

Borderline insane hire *
by SEE  (2019-11-30 13:20:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hahaha. Great reference to Nixon. Remember, he suggested
by usmcirish  (2019-11-30 12:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a slant pass to Paul Warfield in SB VI. Funny thing was the Dolphins ran that play every game.

You are referring to the reverse to Roy Jefferson that lost about 15 yards in the Redskins playoff loss to SF in the ‘71 playoffs.

Legend is that he called George Allen to suggest the play and it was a disaster.

Was it a knuckle ball to Wakefield?
by Ajax  (2019-11-30 12:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul Wakefield was before my time. Paul Warfield was pretty good though.

Drat. Darn typo. Fixed. *
by usmcirish  (2019-11-30 13:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To add, if I may
by ThreeD  (2019-11-30 12:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a fair number of assistants or coordinators at college and NFL levels that could be added to your list.

This whole, "name 20" bullshit is such a flaming canard.