Oh come now. I did not say "meaningless"
by Barney68 (2015-01-04 12:02:50)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: This is a foolish argument. Then we need to asterisk all  posted by irishguard78

That said, context is important, too.

Do you argue that if the league only has 2 teams, the number of championships one of those teams will win is comparable to a situation in which the league has 200 teams?

That would imply that winning the Big 10 Championship when it actually was a 10 team league was the same as winning the National Championship. While many Michigan fans would agree, I do not.

The more teams in a league, the harder it is to win the championship. Competition is increased. Talent is spread thinner.

Similarly, do you mean to say that the number of games in a season does not affect the total yardage gained by a player or a team?

When I was at ND, it was a 10 game season. Any individual statistic - yards gained, tackles made, etc. - was, by definition, limited to that which could be achieved in 10 games. We now have 12 games plus a bowl. Individual stats are going to be higher.

Any player - Jim Brown, for instance - would gain more yards in a 12 game college season than he did in a 10 game one. His records need to be appreciated for exactly what they are in context, not as some isolated number.

In that context, Brown's achievements are all the more impressive.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.