Probably not many folks have a better resume for a HC
by Raoul (2015-01-03 15:24:07)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Bruno, Frost calls the plays for Oregon  posted by jt

position in college: Attended Stanford, then played QB for Nebraska. Played DB and ST in pros under Parcells/Belichik, Gruden/Kiffin. Didn't play much but at least he saw how the big boys do it. Been a college coach on both sides of the ball. Offensive understudy to Kelly and Helfrich.

He turns 40 tomorrow so he's not a babe anymore. Now is his time to step up and either become a college HC at some level or move on to pros to try and coach at that level.

This year has had only 14 openings - way down from prior 5 years. That is one reason he has not been out there getting a job. if this was a 20-30 job turnover year I am certain he'd be gone. But all jobs are now filled.

I assume he'll leave next year for something like a lower power 5 school (Iowa St, Indiana, etc) or maybe a strong non-Power 5 (like a CSU-type job as McElwain did a few years ago).

I don't see many assistants getting good Power 5 jobs these days. Narduzzi got Pitt and Herman got Houston. Pitt type job is probably as good as it gets from a top coordinator. Two years ago Helfrich got a top job as a coordinator but of course he was promoted. Before that it was probably Bill O'Brien going to PSU in 2011 as best example of a top 25-ish program hiring an assistant.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. is not responsible for its contents.