Laken Litman/Indystar's turn to sit down with Swarbrick
by ribs (2017-07-14 21:41:34)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

So glad to hear him reference the 1987 Pan Am Games and the recruitment of the NCAA to Indy 20 years ago. Perfectly relevant to the current state of ND athletics. It was a good question from Litman, as it reveals quite a bit about Jack, who continues to be all about Jack.

"No reason we can't compete for a national championship.."
by IrishGeek  (2017-07-15 16:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? That's been our standard here all along.

Honey there's no reason I can't go through a business trip without banging a waitress.

No reason we can't all win the Powerball either *
by Hipster  (2017-07-15 22:07:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's 1, "you have a shitty HC" *
by Cliff Claven  (2017-07-15 20:34:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This has become a talking point, no doubt because it has
by VaDblDmr  (2017-07-15 18:52:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

filtered back to them that people believe that ND has quit aspiring to championship football. I put that exact question to Jack two years ago.

"I never saw it as an endurance issue."
by The Holtz Room  (2017-07-15 12:56:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey, I've used that line too, but all evidence to the contrary wasn't broadcast on tv.

Disappointing, and I'm surprised the paper agreed to it.
by VaDblDmr  (2017-07-15 10:18:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scripted answers all the way with no follow ups. What a wimp.

That's our man *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-07-15 19:54:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Jack, how are you & BK still at ND after Declan tragedy?"
by Frank Drebin  (2017-07-15 09:13:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is the only question that should be repeatedly asked of Jack and BK by reporters.

I don't think BK is to blame for that one. *
by Wooderson  (2017-07-15 09:35:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree. BK is the head coach and is responsible
by Frank Drebin  (2017-07-15 09:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For everything that happens on the practice field. If he had said that no one should be in the lifts that day due to the unsafe windy conditions this tragedy would have been averted

That's not his call.
by Wooderson  (2017-07-17 08:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we've been over this on the board several times.

Does anyone remember the reaction here at the time? *
by Manor76  (2017-07-17 13:31:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None, absolutely none, zero blame. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-07-15 09:44:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One reason ND can't compete for a NC is Savvy is our AD... *
by Wolfetone  (2017-07-14 23:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is the conclusion I have come to.* *
by OBSERVER  (2017-07-15 08:53:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It won't happen because it isn't the goal.
by Mike Regan  (2017-07-15 07:57:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lip service is intended to placate alumni and fans so that they will keep spending money to go to games, donate, and buy merchandise. We know it isn't the goal because a board of trustee member came out and said as much last year. Rod West was interviewed by Lou Somogyi. He also went on that most revealing, and stomach turning, post game show with Jack "Baghdad Bob" Nolan. It isn't Father Jenkins' goal and it isn't the board members' goal. They speak in a way that it makes it seem that it is either great academics or great football, not both. He said we will never be Alabama. That is fine. Perhaps if we were the ND that used to exist, that would still be better than being Alabama. Maybe we would have interrupted Slabama's string of dominance and won one of those NCs and it would have been so sweet because it would have been done right. We sure as hell wouldn't have gone 4-8 last year, we wouldn't be an 8-5/7-6 team, on average, and we wouldn't be a soft program.

During the post game show, West said ND may be able to win a title if we "catch lightning in a bottle." That isn't striving to be the best. That approach will ensure that ND's days as a national championship contender are over forever. It doesn't have to be this way. If the goal were changed, they could go hire a great AD, head coach, and go to work at building a championship program. However, that isn't the goal so it is a pipe dream.

If that message was delivered by Rod West, what kind of message would come from many of the BOT members who did not go to ND and never cared about football. I really do believe that it is over.

Edited to add that the lip service over the last couple of decades has been dishonest and unenithical. It has been a disservice to every player, student, graduate, and fan. It has been a betrayal to everybody who helped build the program over the decades. It has made the program and the entire university look foolish. The half-hearted approach has led to almost every major decision about the program during the last 25 years being the wrong one.

Sure talks a good game
by sammer  (2017-07-15 08:56:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how hiring a first-year OC from Memphis and an assistant from Wake Forest is such an extraordinary accomplishment for a school like Notre Dame.

I am glad he is scheduling some decent teams like Arkansas.

"We have specific standards within the program that are
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-07-14 22:02:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

performance related." What an absolute disgrace of a reporter you have to be to not be able to offer a proper follow up question to that asinine statement. Of the many possible ones how about:

When did having four seasons of five plus losses out of seven represent meeting the standard for an ND football coach?

Do you feel the ticket prices you charge are in line with your performance standards?

Did seeing a half empty Giants Stadium for an early October game last season shake your confidence that Notre Dame football fans have an endless tolerance for mediocrity?"

I would assume he asked for the questions ahead of time
by smcchick  (2017-07-14 23:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and said no follow up questions.

His answers were actually better than his usual nonsense. He stated we won't be joining the ACC or any other conference and will be trying to schedule within all of the conferences. I obviously don't agree with him at all on retaining Kelly and doubleing down on this course. I think the Crossroads project is unsightly.

I feel we have joined the ACC in football
by KnightlyRevue  (2017-07-15 09:38:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We just don't play in the conference championship game. We play 5 games against them a year and basically capitulate to anything and everything they want. I know most don't see it that way but I feel we gain very little from our "partnership" and that it should be shit canned.

Are these "interviews" JS rewarding the sycophant media? *
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-07-14 21:46:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a much better interview than Sampson's *
by Bob Loblaw  (2017-07-15 14:57:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Litman has been pretty good.
by ndmaqi  (2017-07-15 08:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't call her sycophant, but I'm guessing it was still a pretty controlled interview.

She has been a definite improvement for the Indianapolis
by ndlp  (2017-07-15 08:58:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Star sports page. Her recent story on Jaylon Smith was very good.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.