image and likeness issue at Ohio State
by jt (2017-07-14 17:03:39)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

will be interesting, I think.

It's very surprising given that he helps head a major cancer
by smcchick  (2017-07-14 19:42:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fundraising research event every year at OSU. His name and their breast cancer fundraising go hand in hand.

So they hung a banner in OSU stadium with his picture
by 1978Irish  (2017-07-14 17:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on it and maybe a Honda logo and he is suing because Honda paid to be on the sign with him?

The easy answer is to take his banner down.

If the didn't advertise Honda and just hung a banner would he be OK with it?

Apparently so
by ndtnguy  (2017-07-17 09:40:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And my instinct is that makes his case very weak.

The article describes the suit as an anti-trust case, but how is OSU putting a corporate logo on a banner a combination in restraint of trade?

And I could see a suit based on the right of publicity and the university's unauthorized use of his likeness for commercial purposes, but they could do that with or without a corporate logo.

Perhaps the theory is that a banner without a corporate logo isn't a commercial use, but a banner with one is?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.