Chip Long explains his offense
by SEE (2017-07-14 15:34:40)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I wonder, given Swarthy's comments about Kelly, if it will actually be his. “He can contribute across the board over the entire thing if he doesn’t get pulled into one area."

Here's Long's one line description: “We’re going to be a pro-style, run, play-action team." Rest is below

of the 6 new coaching hires
by quasimodo  (2017-07-15 14:29:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has the weakest resume.

One can make a case for the other 5 that it was an upgrade but not so much in his case.

1 stinkin' year as a OC calling plays at a low level school? That qualifies you for OC at ND? WTF unless BK wanted a puppet OC but he already had one on Denbrock.

I guess we'll see what happens this fall but I tend to guess that we'll have a new co-ordinator that we'll love to hate.

"bad play calling cost us this game". You heard it here first.

Q

Agreed. Not a fan. I thought the rest were upgrades.
by SEE  (2017-07-15 21:56:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite his run talk, he passes a lot. Bad idea with a new QB, a big OL and a good stable of running backs

We're gonna pound it! *
by 01momanor  (2017-07-15 02:27:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Summary: "We'll run whatever Coach Kelly calls". *
by goirish89  (2017-07-14 18:17:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please explain this....
by cj  (2017-07-14 15:53:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BGI: You’ve talked in the past about establishing the run game; why is it so important to run the football effectively?

Long: “It sets up everything. Obviously by being able to play tempo and you’re able to run the ball, it’s that many more plays we can force our physicality on the defense, wear the defensive line down, force them to bring the safeties up, maybe get them into more man coverage by adding a guy into the box."

“In the spring game we wanted it as much like a game as possible, that’s why I tried to throw it every down, because he needed that experience."

He sounds like he hasn't a clue...

He's saying we are going to run a lot
by okerland  (2017-07-14 18:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basically, the only game experience Wimbush was going to get from Feb to August was the Blue Gold game he wanted to get him experience passing against a defense so he's ready when the time comes to pass during a game.

If we ran the ball every play in the Spring Game as he is want to do, Wimbush's first pass against a defense would be Temple.

Do we need to practice the run game too?
by locolobo  (2017-07-17 17:17:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or are we good - no practice needed? Should we practice what we decide to play or something different?

imo He should have run the offense in its' totality. There
by cj  (2017-07-15 13:27:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

aren't enough reps in a spring game to make any tangible difference in the passing game. So, it appears to me that the whole rest of the team may suffer as we go one dimensional on D and O...

For instance, we're installing a new D. If what Long said is true then we may have gotten minimal D reps stopping the run. The trade off I guess is more experience for the secondary...

The good news is that anything should be better than what we did in '16... Long, Elko and Polian have a lot to clean up...

I still crack up at the thought of kelly at O dark thirty doing hand stands and yoga.... I bet that after a hand stand he is his truest shade of purple.

You're asking me to explain him?
by SEE  (2017-07-14 16:05:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not gonna work well

“In the spring game we wanted it as much like a game as
by cj  (2017-07-14 16:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

possible, that’s why I tried to throw it every down, because he needed that experience."

It sounds like he's talking about putting Wimbush under
by SEE  (2017-07-14 16:46:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pressure. The defense was allowed to show looks the offense hadn't seen before, so they threw it alot to get him experience in pressure situations to force his decision-making and, humble him.

"He needed to get out there and quite frankly to get humbled"

You took two answers to two different questions and mushed the answers together. One question was about the offense, the other was about Wimbush's progression.

That's as close as I'm going to get and it may be completely wrong, but the question was about Wimbush.

From the very limited time I have seen Wimbush it
by cj  (2017-07-14 17:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looks like his feet are a tremendous asset. He's a shifty runner. We can't play not to get hurt. We have a ton of excellent backfield weapons with Wimbush being an added option. Running behind McGlinchey and Nelson should be our core game plan....

There should be no question
by SEE  (2017-07-14 17:25:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why do I think we'll pass

so defense shows pressure = pass? *
by jt  (2017-07-14 16:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to run with 5 in the box, jt. *
by jakam31  (2017-07-14 17:17:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can explain:
by jt  (2017-07-14 16:22:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

translation:

"I'm going to lie the entire interview and not give you shit and Coach D will eat it all up."

Seriously, the guy seemed lost. In light of the run
by cj  (2017-07-14 16:31:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

game comments he really went cuckoo.

1 year OC experience at Memphis...time to win a title at ND.

Oh c'mon, it's all gonna work out.
by ugoirish  (2017-07-14 17:19:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't have to do the smart thing at Notre Dame because there's magic in the air. You just have to make some change, get the media hype machine going then get the mush heads on the message boards fired up and everyone rides on the glory train.

Haven't you seen the success this has garnered over the last 20 years? He has the imprimatur of Offensive Coordinator at the University of Notre Dame. It doesn't matter that he's been an OC for a grand total of one year... at Memphis. Shit we recently had a lifetime Defensive coach who had spent most of his career in DII as the OC and very few people questioned the sanity of even that.

Start Googlin' quotes and get fired up! Be positive!!

"Everything starts with our quarterback"
by Camarillo Brillo  (2017-07-14 15:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's all you need to read

Everything else is merely expository.

That was exactly where I stopped
by pmcdnd96  (2017-07-14 15:47:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People talk a lot about the QB being the most important player on the field. That might be true in the NFL, but if I were drafting a college football team from scratch, I would draft in this order:
1.) Defensive linemen
2.) Offensive linemen
3.) Linebackers
4.) Defensive Backs
5.) Quarterbacks
6.) Receivers
7.) Running backs

You can quibble with the order, but if you don't control both lines of scrimmage, you're not going to win a national championship. You can definitely win a national championship with an average QB. Yet we continue to base our entire operation around the QB. Of course we do.

Not many teams have won with an "average" college QB
by JBrock18  (2017-07-14 16:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you, it takes dominant players in the trenches on both sides and that's the foundation you need for being competitive on a week in week out basis, but you have to have a good college quarterback too, regardless of the offensive system you run. I personally don't believe there is any specific order to your list that's correct. To be a great team you need all of those. Where the separation can occur if you lack in one area is great coaching. A great staff can find ways to compensate for a recruiting misfire at certain spots. I want to be clear, I agree with the overall idea of your post, but I don't think the quarterback position can be minimized like that. Look at teams like LSU. They routinely feature every other aspect you mentioned but their QB play has largely been abysmal for some time now and it's likely cost them National Championships.

Two points
by pmcdnd96  (2017-07-17 13:32:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1.) I think there's a bit of a chicken or egg problem - are the QBs above average or are the good teams making them look that way? Let's look at the QBs from the last 10 national champions:
Matt Flynn: I think you have to call him "above average" because he was drafted and stuck around in the NFL, but look at that team he was on. His 56% completion percentage is low by today's standards.
Tim Tebow: In my opinion, the best college QB ever
Greg McElroy: He looked pretty good, but who wouldn't look good throwing to Julio Jones?
Cam Newton: Single handedly brought his team to a national championship.
Aj McCarron: Like McElroy, seems pretty good, but how do you not look good on that team.
Jameis Winston: Very good
Cardale Jones: I consider him about average. And this is what I mean about how being average can work. He wasn't an above average runner or passer, but won a national championship and looked pretty good doing it.
Jake Coker: Again, looked decent, but was he anything special?
Deshaun Watson: Outstanding

So Tebow, Newton, Winston, and Watson are all clearly above average. The Alabama QBs are tough to tell, but let's call them at least above average and include Flynn with them. That leaves Jones and Coker as players I would consider "about average." So about 20% of national championships are won by "average" QBs.

How many of those national champions had average offensive or defensive lines? The only team without a bunch of draft picks along both lines was Auburn

2.) LSU's QBs have been well below average. Of course a terrible QB (and a head coach who doesn't understand basic clock rules) can lose you games.

Depends on how you define average
by faustfever  (2017-07-15 08:32:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would say a lot of NCs have been won with average or even horrible NFL QBs. Yet, these QBs were largely high performing, if not exceptional college QBs that understood and executed their proprietary offensive system.

I believe the answer is you need players performing at high levels in all of those areas you mentioned.

Talent is always relative.

I would argue that Meyer and Saban have won with average
by smcchick  (2017-07-14 23:35:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

QBs. I mean they weren't terrible quarterbacks but they were just ok qbs that ran the offensive system they were given.

I would switch #1 and #2. The rest is spot on. *
by Manor76  (2017-07-14 16:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OL can be somewhat mitigated by scheme. DL can't.
by SavageDragon  (2017-07-14 17:45:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And OL can be well-drilled in his assignments and can be offered some assistance from a tight end, running back, etc., and can have plays called that ameliorate his weaknesses.

For both pass rushers and space eaters, you've either got it physically or you don't. You can "coach 'em up", but it still comes down to raw talent more than at OL. That's why you "draft" them first.

"pro-style?" With a qb in the gun 100% of the time?
by jt  (2017-07-14 15:38:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course, "coach D" doesn't bother to question him about it.

Memphis wasn't in shotgun 100% of the time. *
by BigNDfan  (2017-07-15 09:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

80% of the time?
by jt  (2017-07-15 12:06:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

does anyone have the numbers?

Since he is making the "pro-style" claim, should we assume that the Memphis qb (and this year, the ND qb) will be under center most of the time with possible exceptions on third down and perhaps two minute drills?

I think Long's offense has under center stuff too
by Quietman  (2017-07-14 16:20:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seemed to be a lot more than ND has in the past

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.