News to me ...
by CJC (2017-07-14 14:07:54)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Buried in a thread below, El Kabong notes that he frequently meets former Notre Dame football players who tell him that they regularly read this site and encourage him to continue operating the site (and implicitly, at least, endorse the general tone of this site -- which certainly, at the very least, isn't blindly supportive of Notre Dame's administration).

While that doesn't shock me (and I'm aware that a handful of former players posts here), that was news to me.

And it makes me think that it's time for former players to speak publicly and perhaps in a concerted fashion about what is happening to Notre Dame football.

I'm generally not a fan of former players publicly calling for the head of a football coach, but I'm increasingly convinced that these are not ordinary times.

I elaborate further at the linked post.

Most of the time when that happens
by weirdo0521  (2017-07-14 14:29:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

people on this board are critical of the former player. People were pretty upset with former players criticizing Weis publicly.

There's a little known codicil in the former player
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-07-14 16:06:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

handbook that says when a failed coach reaches year 8 you can publically rip him with complete immunity.

As I noted ...
by CJC  (2017-07-14 14:53:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not a fan of that type of criticism generally, here or elsewhere.

But as I tried to explain in the linked post, I think a reasonable reading of these circumstances leads to a conclusion that this is something radically different than an underperforming coach.

It's a sea change being directed (or allowed) at the highest level of the University.

In essence, the board of trustees has endorsed and ensconced an athletic director who has made it crystal-clear that he's incapable of recognizing excellent football, let alone producing it.

This isn't a matter of a bad hire as a head coach; it's a full-scale endorsement of Jack Swarbrick's vision for Notre Dame football -- for 2017 and the foreseeable future.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.