For those interested in high school football rules...
by vitadulcedospes (2017-07-14 13:41:23)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

There are some big rules changes being rolled out this fall. The two biggest are a prohibition against blind-side blocks with any part of the body except for open hands. No more leading with the shoulder or forearm on a crack-back block, even if that block lands squarely in your opponents stomach.

I predict that this rule will be fairly tough to enforce, and only screamingly obvious calls will be made. Nonetheless, it is another major rules change in the name of safety.

Also, driving the ball into the ground on an on-side kick to create a pop-up is no longer allowed.

Here's a video with an excellent explanation of the rules change. There's a guy in Hawai'i who releases these for high school football officials. The video is great, buy my main observation is that the quality of film in Hawaiian high school football is excellent.

The relevant section of the video starts at 2:11.

How on earth do you enforce that kicking rule? *
by ndtnguy  (2017-07-17 09:30:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That game is St. Louis vs Kahuku - State Championship Game
by 801stlouis  (2017-07-14 16:40:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least as far as the first video, I think the quality of it has a lot to do with the fact that it's the state championship game and it's being played in Aloha Stadium. St. Louis plays in the ILH and that league consists of all private schools. None of them have football stadiums on their campuses...all of their games are played at Aloha Stadium. Kahuku is the other team and they are a public school and play in the OIA. The state championship pits the top private school (ILH) vs the top public school (OIA).

Thanks, and that explains a bit.
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-07-16 16:03:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The guy who does that video does a lot of officiating videos for Hawai'i high school football, but if all of the private school games are at Aloha Stadium then that helps to explain why the film quality is consistently excellent. They always get multiple high angles in a college facility.

What's the reason for the on-side kick change? *
by Slotts  (2017-07-14 13:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Injury reduction.
by 105Marquette  (2017-07-14 14:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The idea is when the ball pops up there's a mad dash of players trying to get under it and injuries are likely to occur. I don't recall seeing hurt this way, but I haven't reffed football in 7 years.

Yep.
by vitadulcedospes  (2017-07-14 14:41:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty much every rules change these days is about injury reduction.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.