Spring Game Primer (can you feel the excitement?)
by SEE (2017-04-20 12:56:04)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

4-8 will do that to you. Here are some thoughts on thoughts from various reports.

DL - Hayes, Tillery, Bonner, Trumbetti
I don't know that anyone's comfortable with the DL at this point. You can't point to any one position with certainty. D. Hayes is still learning and he has the undersized (but talented) Okwara behind him at Drop. The good (or bad) news is that he's been beating McGlinchey. Tillery is talented, but he's not been consistent. Cage is carrying some extra lbs. Bonner is undersized at DT. Trumbetti may end up benefiting the most from Elko's defense. There's talent, there are big bodies but I wouldn't be surprised if Ewell came in an started in the fall given the lack of excitement around what we have here.

LB Tranquil, Morgan, Martini
Elko's defense plays to the LBs. Morgan is poised for a big year and Tranquil/Bilal have looked good at rover. That's probably where Tranquil should have been playing all along. People are saying good things about Martini at Buck, but he seems more like a Mike player to me.

DB Watkins, Coleman, Elliot, Love
Moving Coleman to safety should really pay off for the Irish this year. Coleman and Elliott both have very good athleticism for the safety spot, but both are also very green. There's little depth behind them. Nick Watkins has been one of the talks of the camp at corner and Julian Love is starting at the other corner spot.

ND has good talent on defense, but significant questionmarks at safety and DL. Elko's defense relies on negative yardage and turnovers, but you wonder if we have the DL who can penetrate or safeties who can prevent the big plays. If ND is running at tempo a lot, then the defense will have to be on the field a lot more. Not sure that's a great strategy with so many questionmarks. Box of chocolates situation.

QB Wimbush
Wimbush has looked very good so far with one exception, lack of consistency on the deep ball. He apparently outsprinted Coleman (sub 4.5 guy) to the endzone in practice. If his practice play translates, he'll be very hard to defend. It will also be hard to for Kelly to not screw him up and try to do too much with him. Book is Tommy Rees with better legs.

RB Adams
The big surprise is Tony Jones who at 225 pounds is a very good inside runner and surprising outside runner. All three backs have looked very good and will play. Really nice looking 3 back rotation all of whom can catch the ball out of the backfield, have size and can make big plays. Tony Jones, surprisingly, seems to have broken the most big runs. He reminds me of a Wiscy back.

WR ESB, Claypool, Boykin
My fantasy hath come true. 6'4" Boykin, 6'5 ESB and Claypool lined up as starters. Boykin and Claypool are borderline TE sized kids who can run. Boykin ran a 4.51 laser timed 40 in HS, which is flying for a guy that big. I think the big downside surprise has been CJ Sanders. ESB is lined up in Fuller's spot, Claypool is the slot and Boykin is the boundary.

TE Jones/Smythe
Pretty much everyone around the program thinks Alize Jones is a match-up problem at TE and now that he's blocking better, ND can mix and match in a way that will be hard to defend. ND can put 4 6'4" bodies out there and run at you or, with the same personnel, run by you. We've also apparently run the TEs in a HBack/fullback role and Long likes putting two tight ends on the field. ND won't have to give away the call by it's personnel. Something Kelly excelled at.

OL McGlinchy, Nelson, Mustiper, Bars, Kraemer
It's likely that at least 4 of the 5 starters will play in the NFL. On paper, it's the most talented unit on the team. Top 50 player Tommy Kraemer looks to have the nod at RT with Bars playing inside of him. I'm not sure I like the idea of running "tempo" all the time with a unit as talented and as big as ND has. With ND's OL, TEs, WRs and running backs, ND could put together a punishing ground game.

I think what people are excited about with the offense is that it has the players to play almost any type of game. ND can run at you with a big lineup and 220 pound backs or they can send WRs and TEs out that will be very hard to defend against. My worry is the same as it's always been, that ND will get fancy, put everything on Wimbush's shoulders and throw jump balls to its big receiving corps rather than own the line of scrimmage with a big OL.

My spring game primer (link)
by Kayo  (2017-04-21 06:47:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far more interesting and far more entertaining than football practice...

My primer
by KevinG  (2017-04-21 08:50:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My primer
by nd71  (2017-04-21 09:04:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cord

Ones versus ones.
by dbldomer7375  (2017-04-20 22:39:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First team defense against first team offense. Forty to fifty plays of ones versus ones.

So...more than enough talent, but will underperform. Got it *
by keenanwashington  (2017-04-20 20:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, not "more than enough talent." *
by IrishGeek  (2017-04-21 10:06:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More than enough to win 10 games
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2017-04-21 12:15:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If properly developed and utilized against this schedule.

- Only UGA and USC are better on paper, and both of those games are at home, with a cupcake, and an off week, preceding them. A good coach would at least split those games.

- Temple, BC, Miami (OH), NC State, Wake, and Navy have drastically inferior rosters, and none of those games should be close.

- Michigan State went 3-9 last year - and lost their QB and 3 best defenders.

- Miami and UNC are talented in places, but their rosters - like ours - lack depth and experience in critical areas. And, while both games are on the road, neither atmosphere is exactly Death Valley.

- Stanford will be good, because they always are. But there is no excuse for a 2-5 record against them.

With all that being said:

A) 10-3 is not, to roughly paraphrase Charles Weis, "good enough"
B) We almost certainly do not have enough talent to win 13 or 14 games, and make or advance in the Playoff.
C) We will lose 5+ games.

So you agree though, not "enough." *
by IrishGeek  (2017-04-21 12:56:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed, I can (link)
by trout  (2017-04-20 19:25:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the enablers have a major chubby *
by 84david  (2017-04-20 19:13:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Spring game is for Kelly Lovers. *
by Nitschke  (2017-04-20 15:56:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What are they expecting from Shaun Crawford? *
by rockmcd  (2017-04-20 15:51:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The defense is frightening
by Jvan  (2017-04-20 15:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Morgan is the only player who would compete for a starting spot on a top ten team.

Exactly.... *
by Wolfetone  (2017-04-21 07:54:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we have a rover
by ACross  (2017-04-21 06:00:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which will turn out much better than the apache.

Is it a Red Rover? Does he ask if the QB can come over? *
by akaRonMexico  (2017-04-21 11:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an Irish Rover ::clap-clap-clap-clap:: *
by RocketShark  (2017-04-21 13:42:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

red rover, red rover, send Brian Kelly right over
by ThreeD  (2017-04-21 11:39:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have a lot of rovers
by Kayo  (2017-04-21 06:49:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two comments. 1) The fact we are even debating this is
by Tonybullets  (2017-04-21 02:01:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fucked up. We should have 11 guys that might get drafted on D every year.

2) I think with a competent DC we'll have a competent D. Hard to judge talent based on 2016. Great year for trans ams, shitty year for coaching.

I can't imagine them being worse than last year, though. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2017-04-20 23:07:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of grit though. *
by jakam31  (2017-04-20 22:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What exactly is a grit? *
by potatohouse  (2017-04-21 00:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know, but it's possible they can be magic.
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-04-21 12:07:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Compete not play. *
by DCDave  (2017-04-20 16:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its all about the process
by ronniewoo  (2017-04-20 16:27:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't care if they look good or can tackle as long as the process is working.

I'm sure BK will protect the D...
by iudomer  (2017-04-20 15:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and play time possession football.

Ha, I crack myself up.

he'll keep the D off the field...
by abqgant  (2017-04-21 00:00:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by giving up big chunks and quick scores to the opponent.

he'll keep the D off the field...
by abqgant  (2017-04-21 00:00:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by giving up big chunks and quick scores to the opponent.

Sounds like a great year to pound it
by Acrossdmiddle  (2017-04-20 14:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big, potentially physical o-line, bruising backs, versatile TEs, large WRs who can create space with their bodies on 3rd and 4, and most importantly, a young/mobile QB challenged at hitting the deep ball. Add to that a Swiss-cheese front on defense and an unproven back end and you have a team made to order for power football. However, I have no doubt we'll deploy the "fuck it let's chuck it" strategy instead.

should be the style EVERY year *
by discNDav  (2017-04-21 07:54:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same as every year *
by df10irish  (2017-04-20 15:02:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sins are shriven and the Lord is risen. Let's roll.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-20 13:35:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the write-up. I am more worried about the DL than anything else.

How does the OL look in terms of power run blocking?
by arch_moore  (2017-04-20 13:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are they going to be able to win in the trenches when we need a tough yard?

My guess is they don't. Shanty doesn't power run so no need
by CAFB4ND  (2017-04-20 13:52:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to practice/think about/acknowledge power running.

I just can't wait to see Shanty's new yoga body. *
by Clarence Beeks  (2017-04-20 13:08:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly has really whipped himself into shape
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-04-20 15:33:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Round

Yoda body *
by realmccoy  (2017-04-20 15:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Toga body
by Bacchus  (2017-04-21 15:45:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew I forgot something *
by SEE  (2017-04-20 13:21:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.