"I'm going to be there to support DeShone, yes."
by irisharab (2017-04-19 16:35:27)
Edited on 2017-04-19 16:36:24
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

- Brian Kelly, talking earlier today about how he planned to travel to Philly for the NFL Draft.

If that God damned jerk actually cared about supporting Kizer, he wouldn't have bad-mouthed him during that interview.

If I were Kizer, I would have told Kelly, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Kiper is now slotting Kizer to the Chiefs in Round 3.
by TWO  (2017-04-20 12:16:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Texans pass on him for Nathan freakin' Peterman. If Kizer does go to the draft he might as well wear a sign, Will QB for food on his chest.

The bigger question -- Why is Kizer going?
by bluengold07  (2017-04-20 08:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's extremely possible he could slip to the second round and be sitting in that green room all night.

He should not go unless a team has told him they
by 1978Irish  (2017-04-20 13:22:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will take him in round 1 for sure. Even then could be lying. I think there is a high probability he doesn't go in round 1.

Reminds me of Jerry Maguire
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-04-20 00:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When he brings Rod Tidwell to the draft to walk around and shake hands.

If anyone believes that Kelly is going to the draft for Kizer, I have a bridge in New York to sell you. I just hope he didn't help Kizer's agent convince him to go to the draft, to help give Kelly an excuse to rub elbows with the NFL circles he'd so like to break into. Because, I have a feeling there's going to be a camera with a closeup of Kizer with every passing pick that is not him.

Maybe I am just so jaded that I can't imagine Kelly possessing the ability to think of anyone's interests besides his own.

He can't get the Eagles job out of his mind. *
by Wolfetone  (2017-04-20 09:23:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going to bang elbows with NFL types
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-04-19 18:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well color me shocked.

But if he happens to follow any of them into the men's room,
by BeastOfBourbon  (2017-04-19 20:23:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't you be reading anything into it.

BK back in Interview City?!?! *
by nd71  (2017-04-19 17:53:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're not that lucky. *
by BottleofRed  (2017-04-19 19:51:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good call *
by SEE  (2017-04-19 17:54:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He booked his ticket to arrive April 28 (Day 2). *
by Monogrammar  (2017-04-19 17:41:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad he's going
by ACross  (2017-04-19 17:38:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect this was engineered by ND to repair pr damage that Kelly did. I think Kizer and Kelly are both wise to bury the hatchet (let's be clear, it's Kelly's hatchet).

You could probably build that case. In kelly's
by cj  (2017-04-19 21:46:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

666 years as a head coach, how many times has he attended the draft?
I think he attended last year...

This year's coaches that will be there:

Coach College
Larry Fedora North Carolina
P.J. Fleck Minnesota
Butch Jones Tennessee
Brian Kelly Notre Dame
Urban Meyer Ohio State
Jim Mora UCLA
Ed Orgeron Louisiana State
Chris Petersen Washington
Matt Rhule Baylor
Nick Saban Alabama
David Shaw Stanford
Dabo Swinney Clemson
Kyle Whittingham Utah

kelly can boast about going 4-8, being on NCAA probation, wear his Music City, Pinstripe or Sun Bowl ring (maybe he will wear all 3 and really bling it) ....

Agreed, but I don't think Kizer should be there anyway.
by rockmcd  (2017-04-19 18:27:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless you are either a lock for the 1st round or an attention whore, I think it's a mistake to be in the green room. If nobody picks you in the 1st round, you wind up looking like a loser on national TV. It was different back in the days when the 2nd round began immediately after the 1st round ended, or even farther back before the draft became a made-for-TV event. Nowadays there just seems to be more downside than upside. Ultimately, where you decide to be on Draft Day won't have any impact on your success (or lack thereof) as an NFL player, but neither does a kick to the nuts - you'd still like to avoid it if you can.

I think Kizer should watch the draft at home with his family like Clausen and Manti did.

Yeah it's not looking very promising for him to go in Rd. 1
by TWO  (2017-04-20 10:23:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The top 3 of Watson, Trubisky, and Mahomes are likely, Kizer unlikely.

The Mahomes rise has been interesting.........
by Ty Webb  (2017-04-20 12:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not sure Kizer is a first round guy but Mahomes screams bust to me. I don't trust raw QBs that come out of these wide open, air raid offenses.

Yep
by HTownND  (2017-04-20 13:31:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He and Kizer have both gotten the system tag from the NFL, and there are questions about playing under center.

That doesn't exude first round pick.

I think that's why you're seeing all of the QBs drop.

Cleveland will go QB at 12, but after that, it's anyone's guess how many QBs are taken, but most of the prognostications have the number of QBs in round one dropping, and the draft position of all the QBs dropping as well.

All of the QBs in this class have pretty big NFL issues from experience, to height to system.

Dak Prescott isn't helping anyone out either. More and more NFL teams are realizing their is very good QB value outside of round 1, and are very very very willing to trade that extra year of control for less guaranteed and lower salary requirements.

At least for Kizer............
by Ty Webb  (2017-04-20 13:48:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's had some experience in a passing offense that is far more pro-style than Mahomes played in.

There are some whispers, however, that Kizer could go to Arizona at 13. Arians loved him apparently and he's scheduled to meet with them for a 3rd time.

A lot of smoke with the Cardinals
by HTownND  (2017-04-20 13:57:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of people have Kizer to the Cards with pick 45 in round 2.

I'm not sure the Bears or 49ers will let him slide that far, but there was a Steelers blog that was discussing whether it made sense for them to trade up in round 2 for Kizer.

The Cards have apparently worked out 6-7 QBs, and have narrowed in on a few of them, but that they are also looking heavily at the WR prospects as well.

Remember feeling bad for Brady Quinn *
by nd67  (2017-04-19 23:29:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of internet MBs are being wasted
by HTownND  (2017-04-19 21:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trying to will Kizer into the first round.

ND fans really suck at understanding how the NFL works.

I hope he goes day 1 but I suspect it would take someone trading back up to beat the 9ers or Bears to him at the top of round 2.

It's become obvious that the NFL GMs don't view this year's QB class as worth a first round investment. Several are starting to have the first QB off the board later in round 1.

This will be Quinn Part Duex

i hope you're wrong.
by MistakenD  (2017-04-20 13:04:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you've taken a very aggressive attitude toward correcting any positivity toward Kizer. i wasnt really satisfied with your rebuttal the last time this topic cam up, re: late round 1 v early round 2. I wasnt in a position to argue. still not. you seem to be associating any hopefulness with irrationality. you act as if early projections of Kizer at number one overall didn't happen.

i dont know where you draw your confidence in assessing these things. i specifically jave issue with your blanket characterization of genius NFL GMs. thats just a hige exaggeration. EJ Manuel was a top 20 pick. Aguayo, a PK, was Tampa's Rd 2 pick. Kiper and McShay and Mayock (clueless as Andy has stated): all three get made to look foolish on a couple guys every year.

you dont knownwhete kizer will go any more than anyone else. you should free yourself from this self-imposed burden of correcting everyone on where you feel stronlgy that Kizer will go.

Also
by HTownND  (2017-04-20 13:50:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not just Kiper/McShay, it's a whole host of analysts who are showing the QB stock, collectively dropping.

There are still some of them out there, but a large majority of the mock drafts do not have Kizer in the first round.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph
by HTownND  (2017-04-20 13:27:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've said repeatedly that I like Kizer, that I think he's going to be a great NFL QB, etc.

I also hope he goes in the first round.

But yes, I've spent a lot of time correcting fanboys who don't know very much about how the NFL works.

Of course those projections happened, after the prior season, but that's not how the NFL works, they hold the draft the following year. We went 4-8 and Kizer was benched at one point.

Now, people seem to be trying to hope/will him into the first round, despite the fact that all of the major draft analysts are dropping QBs down further and further, because as has been predicted, there are no Eli Mannings/Philip Rivers/Matt Ryan's who are sure fire #1 picks, or top of 1st round picks.

All of the QBs in this class have some sort of "issue". Turbisky is experience. Watson is height, Kizer is "system", footwork and 4-8, Mahomes is height and "system".

Everyone, including Kizer himself, knows he's a project and won't be ready to start day 1.

The list of QBs in that situation that have been taken in the first round, the past 10 years, can be counted on one hand.

I draw my confidence because I pay attention to this every year. I don't know why I do, but it's one of my things. Maybe it's to make fun of the JETS fans in my family as they F up the draft each and every single year. But I've been paying attention to this stuff since I was a HS kid. Anyone who takes their ND fanboy glasses off, and pays attention to how the NFL draft works, can easily tell you why. Given the number of issues with each QB in the draft, I'm amazed that people think we're going to set a high in the number of first round QBs taken over the past several years. Perhaps if we had other players that weren't QBs, we'd all realize how deep this year's draft is, which makes the idea of teams taking a project QB in round 1 all the more perplexing. It's like ND fans have some sort of need for validation that Kizer is really good and is a first round QB.

We don't (Montana wasn't a first round QB either). And Kizer will make millions of dollars playing QB in the NFL. Maybe it's because I'm not emotionally invested in his draft position like some of the fanboys who need NFL draft validation after a shitastic 4-8 season. I don't know, but it's stupid, and I'll continue to correct people who are dumb, and I won't apologize for it.

PS - Kizer can still be taken the first day, but it would take some moves by other teams to come back into round 1, the Jets taking a QB despite the glaring holes up and down their roster (never count out the Jets to do something that doesn't make an ounce of sense) etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's extremely unlikely

PPS - I'm not going to come here crowing about it if he isn't taken Day 1 either.

It probably depends on if/when a run starts
by YinzKeenanVisor  (2017-04-20 10:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If everyone in the top 10 passes on a QB, then - yeah - he'll probably fall to Round 2. But I am still betting on stupid and desperate.

There are simply too many dumb organizations that need a QB, and too many arrogant GMs, HCs, and OCs who think they can turn some very flawed piece of clay into a masterpiece.

So, I will bet that at least 3 and maybe 4 QBs go in the 1st round. Probably:

- Trubisky (top 15)
- Watson (top 25)
- Mahomes (top 30)
- Kizer (top 30)

And that another 2 go in the 2nd round. Probably:

- Peterman
- Webb or Kaaya

Cleveland, NY Jets, San Francisco, Houston, Washington, Buffalo, Kansas City, Chicago, Arizona, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Jacksonville will all probably pick a QB at some point. And each will have a favorite who they won't want to miss.

I agree those teams will all take a QB
by HTownND  (2017-04-20 11:07:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But most of them have pretty glaring needs at a host of positions beyond a QB.

Most of them aren't a QB away at this point, which is why you aren't seeing a bunch of teams crawling all over themselves to select a QB in round 1.

The fall of the entire QB class is very logical and makes sense if anyone has paid an ounce of attention to how the NFL draft works (even in the 5/4 year contract era).

Cleveland - Has to take a QB with their second first rounder at #12
NY Jets - So many holes a QB isn't going to be their first round pick
San Francisco - not in the top of round 1, but will most likely take a QB in round 2
Houston - Will take a QB if the right one is there, but they have other needs too, and won't take a QB to take a QB there.
Washington - Won't take a QB in round 1, no way, no how, too many other holes to fill
Buffalo - Not in round 1
Kansas City - Possibly, but they do have some other holes to fill before finding an Alex Smith replacement
Chicago - Will most likely take a QB in round 2, no way in round 1 unless they trade back in
Arizona - Will take a QB in round 1 if it's the guy Arians wants
Pittsburgh - Possible, as you know, but they have some other needs too, this wouldn't fit their MO, but it's possible
San Diego - Not in Round 1
Jacksonville - Not in Round 1

I agree with the pundits, we will most likely see 2-3 QBs in round 1
Cleveland
Houston
Arizona
Those are the best bets. Some people say the Jets, but it's the Jets we're talking about, and again, they have so many holes, they don't want to once again get burned by a QB they aren't sure of.

We won't know how the GMs really feel about the QBs
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-19 22:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

until after the two first rounds. You may be absolutely correct but sometimes there's posturing and bad-mouthing ("Oops, did we accidentally leak your bad Wonderlic? Our bad!") in order to get draft picks to fall in someone's lap.

Mark Mayock now has Kizer ranked 5th amongst the QBs. Kizer has more cajones than I would have for showing up in the green room.

I've never felt smart about NFL QB eval's, but 5th?
by AraStopTheSnow  (2017-04-20 14:33:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to swallow. Or stomach.

BK really did a job on this young man. Not only with his postseason comments, but with his in-season coaching that put DeShone in a position to have to answer for 4-8 in the first place.

To respond to some of the comments higher up in this thread, it remains obvious that Kizer has nothing to gain and even more to lose by staying. What would happen to his draft standing if he got benched for Wimbush so that BK could implicitlly blame Kizer for last year?

News Flash: Brian Kelly going to be somewhere that news
by 1NDGal  (2017-04-19 17:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cameras are going to be.

No news at 11 needed.

The gall of that man, I have to admit, still amazes me. You'd think I'd be accustomed to it by now.

i hope he flies United *
by cujaysfan  (2017-04-19 17:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bravo *
by Hipster  (2017-04-19 20:08:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-04-19 19:45:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'll be handing out resumes and kissing butts. *
by cj  (2017-04-19 17:52:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just using up the airline tickets he bought for Kizer's
by Moff  (2017-04-19 17:40:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heisman ceremony.

Good play for BK to press the flesh with NFL peeps.
by Jurassic  (2017-04-19 17:30:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's connected to NFL Coaches & GM's ya know.

Well
by HTownND  (2017-04-19 17:04:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do believe that Kizer not saying no, etc, does indicate that maybe the Kizer/Kelly relationship may not be irreparably harmed.

I thought Kelly's comments were unnecessary and poorly timed. Even if true, or even if you think it's true, it's best to just be a cheerleader for your former player. There really is no upside to those comments, even if it is true or you believe it to be true.

That said, of all the issues with Kelly and ND, those comments are pretty low down the list for me.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.