Blue-Gold
by olson (2017-04-17 15:04:22)
Edited on 2017-04-25 23:31:39
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

1968 to present

The best ND team during my time on campus
by Jvan  (2017-04-18 12:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....took the field in the spring of 1974. The team was loaded with talent and veteran leadership. We fully expected a successful defense of our national championship the previous season. Alas, we never got to witness that '74 team perform to its potential.

I wonder when Ara would've left ND had it not been
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-18 15:11:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the suspensions that spring. It's hard for me to imagine a full-strength ND team losing to Purdue or giving up 55 points in 17 minutes to any team -- or coming perilously close to losing to Navy, which apparently was the game that convinced Ara it was time to step down.

Best ND team during my time on campus benefitted from 3 of..
by Scoop80  (2017-04-18 14:00:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the unexpected losses from '74 team. '77 defense wouldn't have become nearly as dominating as season progressed w/o Browner, Bradley, and Fry. It would've been nice to still have had Hunter in '77, esp. when Ferguson missed time w/ injuries early in season. Knott was still on roster, but he was a non-factor.

I know that there were other losses (e.g. Penick) to '74 team.

Marcus Brandt
by Fresno Mike  (2017-04-17 17:37:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From Grants Pass, Oregon and drowned in the Rogue River.

Re: Dewey Poskon
by mkovac  (2017-04-17 16:56:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was on my PE volleyball team in the Rock.

I ended up showing him how to serve, dig, and pass.

Like most scholarship athletes at ND, he was a quick learner.

His favorite move was the spike.

'71 Game
by NH74Domer  (2017-04-17 16:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was seated in the end zone behind Brown when he hit the 51 yarder. The kick never turned over as I recall - went through the uprights as a knuckle ball.

I was there too.
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-18 06:59:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never saw anything like it before or since. Just a brute force kick. On the kickoffs too.

The "old timers" games
by oldbender  (2017-04-17 16:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You remain one of bright spots on this almost completely negative board. You reference the "old timers" games. Now that's back in my time. I don't remember much about the games themselves, except a few details around them. I believe it was 1958 when a lot of the old timers rode in on model T fords. Then the next year the game was moved to school field because the stadium was being resodded. I can also remember the old timers practices a day or two before the game. Not everyone was in the best of shape when they showed up. And the reserves from the current team were much in evidence by the fourth quarter of the game. Attendance was nothing like it is today. I'd usually attend because a lot of the guys I knew were playing in the game. Ars's decision was ai wise one. Not only was he concerned about guys getting hurt, but so were their bosses. Getting guys to come back was getting harder and harder by the late sixties.

2 Old Timers games were held at School Field=1955 & 1960
by olson  (2017-04-17 17:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both the 1955 & 1960 Spring 'Old Timers' games were moved to School Field on Eddy St

In both years the move was due to the fact that the ND Stadium field was being re-sodded.

Old Timers 19 ND Varsity 14

Paul Hornung QBed the Varsity/graduating senior Ralph Guglielmi QBed the OTers

Hornung got the Varsity to the 8 late in the game, trailing 19-14. But the OTes with the likes of Shannon, Varrichione, Szymanski and Chicago Cardinal Fred Wallner stopped the varsity in their tracks

ND varsity captain Ray Lemek was recovering from knee surgery and DNP in the game.

The OTers had a major advantage= the Varsity had to play under the Single Platoon/ Limited Substitution rules in place in college football at the time...the Old Timers did NOT have to follow the rules-they were allowed to freely substitute throughout the contest

12,742 showed up-a big crowd for that size facility

The OTers had graduating senior George Izo(the 2nd player taken in the 1st rd of the NFL draft) and Green Bay Packer pro Paul Hornung at QB

The Varsity won anyway: ND Varsity 27 OTers 15

Notre Dame had a HB named Ratkowksi (Ray) and a QB named Rutkowski (Ed)

HB Ratkowski returned a punt 82 yds or a td(he also returned another 60yds-but it was called back)

QB Ed Rutkowski ran for a 20 yd td

Then, just to confuse everyone, QB Rutkowski hit HB Ratkowski with a 32 yd td pass

The Varsity led 27-7 late, when OTer QB Izo hit Pat Heenan with a td pass.

15 seconds remained

OTer Monty Stickles lined up for the XP...no one on the varsity was paying much attention to this meanless extra point -but Monty had the ball hiked directly to him & he circled around end into the endzone for 2 pts

With the game being played at School Field, the fans (mostly students) were right on top of the action. And the fans in the endzone were just feet away from Stickles as he scored.

The students took exception to Stickles meaningless score & let him have it. Stickles stood in the endzone & quickly responded with a gesture of the esteem that he held for those fans....a memorable moment in ND Old Timers history :)

Final Notre Dame Varsity 27 ND Old Timers 15

Thanks for the details
by oldbender  (2017-04-17 17:56:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for the refresher. It was 1960 at school field as you accurately report. Most of us walked down to the game. Some of us would go to st. Joe high school games there on Friday nights in the fall. Monty was a pain in the butt. Very few of his classmates, except for izo, couldt stand him by his senior year. But he and George hung out together by then. George had roomed with Dave Hurd, a great guy and coach for ara, but senior year it was Monty who he followed around. By then Monty was a living legend for his boorish behavior around campus. George was always just a big kid and Monty look advantage of him. George played a lot of his senior year with a twisted knee he got when he stepped in a hole on Cartier field. Both the stadium turf and Cartier could be a mess. He was not a happy camper for most of his senior year both because of his head coach who he didn't care for and his bum knee.

I was one of the 5375 there in 1969
by Hanratty5ND  (2017-04-17 15:47:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first (and last) B-G game. I was just a little punk and the rain was the most memorable part of that experience, other than the lopsided score.

The only one I attended was 1977
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-17 16:16:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall the weather being nice and the final score was something like 55-22. We got a bunch of player autographs and photos, including Ross Browner, but I don't know what happened to them.

The 1977 B&G Game was the 10th under the current format, and this year's will be the 50th.

What year did they stop gen admission "meet & greets"?
by athlete37  (2017-04-17 18:08:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meeting the players when i was a little kid in the mid 90's was one of my favorite ND memories, but I think they stopped it shortly after (2000 or so?). Would be cool if they something like that opened up again, even if only for kids 10 and under or something. Good way to inspire young minds and the players probably love it too.

was there too
by sullivan79  (2017-04-17 16:36:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was a grade school kid for the '77 game and after the game went down on the field to get my game program autographed by the players and Divine. I hustled for around 35 signatures of many great players. This program is the highlight of my sports memorabilia collection. I was once offer $500 for it.

So every time you attend, a national title follows.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-17 16:23:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you get there on Saturday?

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.