Link to a great article about Konrad Reuland (link)
by bsmithnd01 (2017-04-14 12:34:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

God Bless the Reuland and Carew Family.... *
by ND Harvey (click here to email the poster)  (2017-04-17 13:41:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you for linking this article. Here is another that
by cj  (2017-04-17 11:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

delves more deeply and shares multiple videos including one with him singing with the Peanut.

"It’s the heart of a mentor who befriended a troubled college defensive back last fall, picking him up at his house five or six mornings a week, lifting weights and running routes with him, paying for sessions with a personal trainer, making sure he ate right.

Max Redfield, a teammate of Austin’s at Mission Viejo, was dismissed from the Notre Dame football team last August after his arrest on misdemeanor charges for possession of marijuana and possession of a handgun without a license. He was given one-year restricted probation.

Konrad advised Redfield to scrap plans to enter the NFL draft and to transfer to another school for one more football season so he could rehabilitate his reputation and restore his value."

“He was an incredible friend, someone I leaned on,” Redfield said. “It was awesome to have someone believe in me. His legacy will never die."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-rod-carew-heart-20170415-story.html

Thank you for posting this, cj. Incredible story that
by ocmj  (2017-04-20 15:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

must bring the family such comfort after tragedy.

Thank you. They are battling and there is a lot of
by cj  (2017-04-20 20:10:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

goodness surrounding them. Konrad's faith was incredibly strong and cultivated/nurtured during his time at ND.
His belief system has helped the family enormously.

Also on the front page of the LA Times sports section today *
by JClarke  (2017-04-16 10:53:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a family
by DC10  (2017-04-15 12:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who has had the exceptional benefit of the selfless decision of organ donation, this is especially heartwarming to me.

My Dad (ND class of 1953) was a Dentist who contracted Hep C from a patient before the age of universal precautions. In 1989 his liver was shot. There was no hope and his physician told him to get his affairs in order and to spend his last remaining days with his family. At this point organ transplantation was in it's infancy. The surgical skill was there but the body's rejection of the new organ was an almost insurmountable problem.

Then a new anti rejection drug was developed. My Dad was put on the transplant list. As much as we ND fans dislike Nebraska, the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha saved my fathers life. He received his new liver October 27, 1989. His surgeon told us to enjoy our time with Dad because the life span of a transplant patient was about five years.

My Dad is still alive and doing well today. He is 85 now. We still watch ND football together. I will always be thankful to the good Lord, the skilled people at Nebraska and most of all the family that made the choice to donate that liver to my Dad....

Hey, just keep him out of the rain in Raleigh. *
by Slotts  (2017-04-15 15:06:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a miserable day Slotts! *
by DC10  (2017-04-15 17:36:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yours, too, is a heartwarming story. UNMC has long been
by Irish72  (2017-04-15 14:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

acknowledged as a leader in medical science. In 1994 my mother was treated for NHL at UNMC with something like a 20% 5 year survival rate. She left us a month ago and tomorrow would have been her 86th birthday.

Did your family live near Omaha? Where did your father practice? I grew up an hour north of Omaha and graduated from Creighton Dental School in 1976. Are you in DC? Our oldest, ND'99, lives in Olney.

Hey Irish72
by DC10  (2017-04-15 17:35:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My dad was born in Chicago and practiced in Wilmette Ill. before moving to South Florida. He started his treatments at Jackson Memorial in Miami. After much research and consultation he decided to go to Omaha for his transplant.

I'm not from DC. I retired as a District Fire Chief from Palm Beach County Fire/Rescue in Florida. DC10 refers to my rank and Battalion designation.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. The people at UNMC are angels. I know she received great care.

Story was just on the CBS evening news. *
by PabloFanque  (2017-04-14 20:11:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amazing-Thought of his connection to ND as I saw it on ESPN (link)
by Domerduck  (2017-04-14 16:17:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The picture of the beam of light
by sayahailmary  (2017-04-14 15:50:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was taken by CJ, I think.
I have the good fortune of knowing Rod Carew a little bit. He lives near some friends of mine. Years ago, he came out to give the Little League team that I was coaching some batting instruction. He gave freely of his time without any compenation. Later, he came and watched a few games just to see the kids play. He is one of the kindest, gentlest people I know. Konrad's heart indeed went to a great person. I suspect that Rod knows full well the special gift he was given.

Had tragic loss of his daughter
by SixShutouts66  (2017-04-14 16:25:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michelle Carew was a very talented softball player who was stricken by leukemia during her high school years and died soon afterwards. She and the Carew family seemed to bear this with extreme courage and grace.

Powerful and an important reminder about organ donation
by HolyCrossHog  (2017-04-14 13:55:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for sharing this.

A classmate started a similar program for bone marrow (link)
by Irish2003  (2017-04-15 17:31:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow *
by Patrick Bateman  (2017-04-14 13:44:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wow - what an article, person and family - thanks *
by domer86  (2017-04-14 13:04:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.