North Carolina giving the ACC the finger? (link)
by El Kabong (2017-04-12 13:40:33)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

they'll dominate the MEAC *
by cujaysfan  (2017-04-13 13:45:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps the legislature could require its Universities to
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-04-13 13:42:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not issue fake degrees.

Because this is the most pressing issue
by BottleofRed  (2017-04-12 17:37:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in North Carolina. Every elementary school in the state is going to be messed up next year because of some draconian line item in the budget. But let's spend time and energy worrying about what happens if the ACC threatens another boycott instead of fixing that. What a bunch of damn idiots. I know, I know...take it to the PBR.

What happens when another "athletic association"...the NCAA.
by TerryD  (2017-04-12 17:02:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...boycotts NC because of its legislation?

(Not that this has any chance of passing).

They should create a bill...
by BigNDfan  (2017-04-12 16:49:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that says they'll no longer create bills that offend so many people that the state of North Carolina loses business.

interesting legal question
by DavidAddison  (2017-04-12 14:53:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My understanding is that ACC schools each forfeit something like $50MM if they leave the conference. Basically they have already committed to selling their media rights so if they left that would be the buyout.

Not sure if a law requiring them to leave would legally avoid the $50MM/school liability.

The fee is 3 times the current payout, ~$56 mil right now.
by hoomanbeing  (2017-04-12 21:28:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The law would require UNC-CHeat and NC State to save up their TV money now until they had enough to pay off the fee. What it doesn't mention is that the ACC owns their media rights for 20-some-odd years regardless of where they would go through the Grant of Rights.

Isn't the state university system...
by IrishGeek  (2017-04-12 16:43:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

merely portion of the state?

Seems more like a pinky finger. Its worthless.
by Queensman  (2017-04-12 14:35:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only sport covered by this that is worth a shit is UNC men's hoops. No one cares about NC State. Both of their football teams are mediocre at best draws. Like the article says, it doesn't cover Duke. So what would that cover that would have any teeth? A couple UNC hoops home games in January and February? The NCAA tournament wouldn't be affected. The ACC tournament wouldn't be affected.

If they pulled them from the ACC, where would they go? Last I checked, the other conferences were part of the NCAA too.

Seems like these legislators were butt-hurt and took a huge backlash from their constituents. So they're double dog daring the NCAA to do it again? Ooooooohhhh...I'm sure that scared them.

conference
by DavidAddison  (2017-04-12 14:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course this doesn't address your NCAA point, but conference-wise I bet the Big10 would be interested in UNC. The question would be whether they would be willing to also take NC State in order to get UNC. Probably doubtful.

I doubt the BIG would touch that with a 10ft pole.
by Queensman  (2017-04-12 15:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the impetus of a future boycott was another bill writing discrimination into law (a lot of people forget about that part of bill, focusing only on the bathroom language), a doubt the BIG would have the stomach for it. Now the SEC and Big 12 could be another story. However, I still don't think the other conferences would have the hip boots to wade into the river of shit such a move would cause.

I bet the Big XII would *
by Groundhog  (2017-04-12 23:43:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The SEC would be an obvious landing place. *
by IrishGeek  (2017-04-12 16:45:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for them because F*** the NCAA *
by Rosecrea  (2017-04-12 14:18:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If UNC & NCS jump ship,
by SWPaDem  (2017-04-12 13:59:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND won't be able to re-affirm its commitment to the ACC fast enough.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.