Right Kinda Cracks
by Kayo (2015-01-06 10:08:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Thread locked - No reply permitted ]

• Can the importance of this victory be overstated?

• I have long believed the theory that offensive linemen perform best when they get to fire out and initiate contact most of the time, that they are aggressive by nature and that allowing the defense to initiate most of the contact by putting them mostly in pass blocking situations robs them of their chance to be effective. After first watching the 2014 season and then watching Tuesday's game, what do you think?

• SEC presidents convened an emergency meeting Tuesday night. LSU has been asked to show cause for continued membership in the conference.

• I think it’s well past the time to discontinue the weekly Bob Davie lampoon, so… How did Brian Kelly, the man with about as much charm as a dead slug, get a bowl game named in his honor?

• Les Miles had the best postgame quote. Talking about LSU’s fake field goal that ended in failure after the replay official didn’t overturn the call on the field, Miles said, “The guy that carried the ball for us said he absolutely scored,” Miles said. “And kids will be kids, but this guy is going to tell the truth.” I’m not given to chuckling, but that did the trick.

• Good for a lot of people, but especially for Kyle Brindza and Everett Golson, Brindza for making a clutch kick after a rocky season and Golson for getting to make important contributions to the win despite being demoted.

• Malik Zaire’s block on the third touchdown was like an ugly baby - unsightly and beautiful at the same time.

• Sometimes statistics reveal universal truth. The Irish won the turnover stat 1-0 in Tuesday’s game. They had not been on the plus side of turnover margin since the Purdue game on September 13.

• C.J. Prosise's 50-yard TD run is the longest rush by a Notre Dame wide receiver since flanker Rocket Ismail ran 76 yards for a TD at Pitt on Oct. 28, 1990. Prosise’s run took less time, but only about a half second less.

• This newfangled notion of using the run to create long drives that keep your depleted defense off the field… Well, who would have thought of such a thing?

• It’s hard to choose an MgoBlue.com Jim Harbaugh statistic for this week’s Hardin Award nomination for publishing a nominally true but worthless statistic because there are so many, but I’ll go with the citation of Harbaugh as the only coach to win both the AP NFL Coach of the Year and the Woody Hayes Coach of the Year awards. First of all, there’s a Woody Hayes Coach of the Year Award? Second, scouring a list of obscure awards to find something that is good for Michigan is quintessentially Wolverine.

• My choice for the 2014 Hardin Award is New Mexico Assistant A.D. for Communications Frank Mercogliano’s “Air Force has won one straight in the series.” I feel no need to explain why.

• A question for those who crave the excitement of a pass oriented offense… Was Tuesday’s 89 rush, 40 pass contest between Notre Dame and LSU boring at any point in the game?

• Going into the game, I thought it was a no-win situation for Kelly. If the Irish were to beat LSU, we’d be left to wonder why the team fell apart in November; and a loss to LSU would have left us thinking the program was approximately where Charlie Weis left it five years ago. I’m still wondering about the latter; but I’d really like to know what happened behind the scenes to cause the November death spiral.

• Replies:
    This post or one above it in the reply chain has been locked by the Site Administrators. No reply is permitted.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.