Except Kelly hasn't met those standards
by ShermanOaksND (2014-12-31 13:18:07)
Edited on 2014-12-31 13:18:22
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Re:  posted by JTS2008

First, the bar should be 10, not 9. In any event, Kelly averages 9 wins now only because of 2012. A majority of the time (3 out of 5 years), he's gone 8-5, and he needed an upset win yesterday to pull it off this year. That obviously isn't good enough.

And while 10-3 should be the average, for Kelly to reach that by 2019 he's going to need to average 11-2 the next 5 years. At this point I probably could be talked into settling for a 10-3 average the next 5 years, which would bring Kelly to 95-35 (.731).

But even to average 10-3, he'd need some seasons where he does better than that -- just as he badly needed that 12-1 season just to get to a 9-4 average to this point. 2015, in particular, strikes me as a season where we should win no fewer than 11 games, including the bowl(s). A 10-3 mark next year, with all the advantages we figure to have in personnel and scheduling, would be a disappointment and a bad sign for the future -- although I'm sure ND would be delighted with it and start printing "10 WINS!" t-shirts.

I think we need to limit topics of records to the
by cujays96  (2014-12-31 13:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

regular season. While no one wants to lose in a bowl, there is a big difference between 9-3 becoming 9-4 in a bowl game and 8-4 becoming 9-4 in a bowl game, when one considers the type of bowl game and opponent the former will garner.

That's fair, although it doesn't always apply
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-12-31 13:38:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This year's 7-5 team drew a much stronger bowl opponent than last year's 8-4 team did. That's the nature of our new relationship with the ACC, which didn't apply last year.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.